2019 - Ultimate Yard Kart

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Rippin' up the neighborhood!

Here's a teaser picture of the One Tire Fryer doin' a BURNOUT!;)
I didn't do it very long, though, since I can't afford a new tire ATM.
Some of the footage is pretty shaky, but it's a lot better than steering with one hand and holding the camera with the other! :lolgoku:
I had a blast taking it for a rip, doing 180s on pavement, layin' some rubber, and flooring it!
Video will come soon!
The nice thing is that the shakiness makes license plates, address numbers, and street names unintelligible for the most part, so I don't have to blur them out!
:auto:
EDIT - Oh yeah, and this is the 100th post in this thread! :wai:

Attachments

• Screenshot (6).jpg
    Screenshot (6).jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 16

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Header install!!!

Yup, that's right, I finally installed a header on this bad boy! :cool:
Here's a pic from the GoPro, if you look closely, you can see the header pipe sticking out, sorry it wasn't a great angle.
This thing FEELS more powerful!
And even though it's a header with positively NO muffler, it's still quieter than I expected! Especially at idle.
The neighbors don't seem annoyed at all!! :wai:
And ohhhhh, it sounds SO PERFECT! It's got a really nice aggressive, throaty sound to it now! I also used the header brace that was on there, and I used lockwashers, so it should stay nice and tight.
I was able to catch a super nice powerslide, I'm getting better at drifting!
:cheers2:

Attachments

• G0010048.jpg
    G0010048.jpg
    406.5 KB · Views: 14

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
At this point, this engine has Stage 1 mods effectively. Here's why:
  • A K&N air filter for this is ~$50! :ack2: And even then, it probably will make a marginal at best improvement, while possibly compromising engine life. Plus, the air filter assembly can't really get any simpler.
  • With the high speed mixture adjusting screw setup, a small engine repair manual I borrowed from the library defines my setup as an "adjustable jet". Granted it can't make the jet bigger, only make it smaller effectively, but it still gives a large range of adjustment.
  • And of course the header!
:bannana:

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
Need more pics of the kart...plus that header dude. ;)

You don’t need a K&N air filter or anything of the sort. Would you believe that the so called performance gains of a cone/pod air filter is basically a myth?

POD Filters Mythbusted
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PAIxeQUSg-Q

The only restriction that’s really gonna harm these engines is a totally clapped out, clogged, mud-caked filter.

---------- Post added at 05:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:42 PM ----------

EDIT - Oh yeah, and this is the 100th post in this thread!

It was the 101st by my calendar. Whoops! :oops:

If you find counting such a mental challenge, I am not blaming you JT, I blame your school. :thumbsup:

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Need more pics of the kart...plus that header dude. ;)

You don’t need a K&N air filter or anything of the sort. Would you believe that the so called performance gains of a cone/pod air filter is basically a myth?

POD Filters Mythbusted
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PAIxeQUSg-Q

The only restriction that’s really gonna harm these engines is a totally clapped out, clogged, mud-caked filter.

---------- Post added at 05:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:42 PM ----------

It was the 101st by my calendar. Whoops! :oops:

If you find counting such a mental challenge, I am not blaming you JT, I blame your school. :thumbsup:

Yeah, I've actually read on another website(for cars) that the factory air filter is usually plenty of flow for most purposes.
Unless it's something like a Top Fueler.
So I ain't forkin' over $50 for a stinkin' air filter when I can get one for 10! :rolleyes:
When I posted that one, the post count on the forum said 100, so there.
I am literally in the process of posting some pics of that gorgeous thing of a header.
I have also filmed the engine simply running, to capture that deliicious header sound! :drool5:

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
I can, but it's hard to start when it's tuned like that. But it does sound much more authoritative when it idles reeeaal low. I'll try and capture that.
I ain't puttin' no stinkin' muffler on this bad boy since it don't need one! That, and mufflers are for wussies!!
Naw, I know that most engines are much louder than mine.

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Pics!!!

Thing 'o beauty, ain't it?
The engine actually seems to run better with the header!
So without further ado:
Here are ze much celebrated pics!!! :cheers2:
In landscape, oriented the right way, too!!!!

Attachments

• 20190702_170901.jpg
    20190702_170901.jpg
    431.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 20190702_170910.jpg
    20190702_170910.jpg
    497.4 KB · Views: 17

Hellion

Reaction score
I can, but it's hard to start when it's tuned like that.

It's a trade off. Briggs'es are cold natured like most carburated engines without automatic chokes & electronic controls designed to keep them running without human intervention.

You can start 'em (cold start) with a low idle setting but the throttle has to be opened quite a bit. You can see the issue there with a go kart. :eek:

I ain't puttin' no stinkin' muffler on this bad boy since it don't need one! That, and mufflers are for wussies!!

You get no argument from me. BigWuss might complain though. :D

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
It's a trade off. Briggs'es are cold natured like most carburated engines without automatic chokes & electronic controls designed to keep them running without human intervention.

You can start 'em (cold start) with a low idle setting but the throttle has to be opened quite a bit. You can see the issue there with a go kart. :eek:

You get no argument from me. BigWuss might complain though. :D

BAHAHAHAHA! :roflol:
Wes, if you ever read this, just a reminder, it's kinda Hellion's thing to make fun of other members, and you're not the only one, so don't take it personally.
But yeah, when I want to show off how reliable it is, I'll probably lean it out to get it to start first pull like I know it can, and then richen it to idle it lower. That way I can put those Predators to SHAME!

I like the look of that. And that is quite a good way to brace your pipe :thumbsup:

Thanks.
The whole header assembly basically came like that. I got it at the Pate Swap Meet from a guy that had ~3 old dirt track race karts in his trailer. It looked like they had been sitting for quite a while, given how the tires were all flat and deformed.
He also had a big bin of parts in the trailer(most of the parts had a good deal of sand and dirt on them, but ah well), in which I found the header and some other parts.
Lucky for me, I think 2/3 of the race karts had flatheads, so I confirmed with the fella that the flange was for a flathead, then I bought the header and chain guard for I think $10 total! :wai:
The chain guard alone brand new would be ~$30!!
And I don't even know how much it would be for a nice racing header like the one I got!
Later on I went back and got some other stuff for free, but that's another story.
In the bin there were also a bunch of split sprockets, racing clutches and whatnot, but I didn't really know what to look for with that stuff, so I didn't bother.
For me, that trailer was the treasure of the Swap Meet.
The fella said that the brace was to anchor to one of the head bolts, but I didn't really want to pop the head off yet, and I noticed the other bolt hole that was unused! :2guns:
So I got the brace bolted up, and now it's all nice and installed properly!

:bannana:

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
One Tire Fryer Teaser | First Mod, Burnouts...

I have so much footage to go through, so this is to keep everyone entertained and wanting more. :D
Hellion, I made the last clip for you, that's about as low as it wanted to idle.
There is a burnout, drifting, 180s, and a LOT of that beautiful header sound in this video!! :drool5:
Enjoy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX31dh6ZXxI

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Thanks for the vid! That Briggs sounds really cool :D Burnouts are cool, but remember they shorten your tyre life real quick :D

Yeah, it does sound epic.
I'm aware that burnouts shorten tire life, that's partially why mine aren't too long. But it makes for nice eyecandy! Either way, the e clip holding the clutch on the crankshaft actually rubs the tire sidewall as it runs, so it leaves rings on the inside sidewall. :(
Due to the slight tire distortion and slight play on the axle, the sidewall will sometimes clear the e clip, but not usually.
So sometimes when it just idles, the e clip will rub a groove into the sidewall, essentially giving a friction drive reverse! :ack2:
It sometimes even makes a little rubber smoke as it does that.....
That, and the alignment problems, are all caused by the stupid oversize rear tires, with their bulging sidewalls. I will eventually kill the drive tire with a massive burnout.
And then the correct size rims/tires go on.

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
My fronts are blown :(

My fronts are waaaay dry rotted. Sometimes it'll get real sketchy when the front tires lose traction and just start slipping. :(
But at least I can also have fun breaking rear traction! :cool:

Attachments

• P_20190129_162424.jpg
    P_20190129_162424.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 10

Hellion

Reaction score
My fronts are blown :(

Patch ‘em!

Tubeless or tube type? You can patch both. Tons of patched tires out there on automobiles, but they’re patched from nail holes and such, not catastrophic tire damage.

Plus is it’s a good skill to have when the apocalypse is nigh upon us...:eek:

Maybe we can establish a gofundme for JT and his, uh “extracurricular activities”(?)
I’d happily donate a few bucks for new go kart tires if he’d stop complaining about the dry rot! :D

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Patch ‘em!

Tubeless or tube type? You can patch both. Tons of patched tires out there on automobiles, but they’re patched from nail holes and such, not catastrophic tire damage.

Plus is it’s a good skill to have when the apocalypse is nigh upon us...:eek:

Maybe we can establish a gofundme for JT and his, uh “extracurricular activities”(?)
I’d happily donate a few bucks for new go kart tires if he’d stop complaining about the dry rot! :D

I actually found a nail in my rear right tire when I rolled it into the garage to do the header install! :eek:
It was a decent ways in, but after I yanked it out, by some black magic, it atill held air!!:smiley_omg:
I plan to keep the front tires, dry rot and all, because they hold air and the they are the factory original tires!!
:smiley_omg:

Budget GoKart

Aka a kenbar
Reaction score
Eh i saved one inner tube and had a freind help weld my 115$ split 4 inch manco rim because it was broken and the rear tire popped but the inner tube is fine. i have a pay pal for anyone who might donate possibly ill see if i can put it in my signature.

Dingocat

Broke
Reaction score
Already lookin for money lol. You talking about the front cast rims off a manco? They're expencive. Saved the broken piece off mine. Might see if I can get it fixed. And JT, if those tires don't have tubes they're a good idea and are pretty cheap.