2019 - Ultimate Yard Kart

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Alright let's go everyone!
Here's my 2019 Buildoff entry...the Ultimate Yard Kart!!:wai::wai:
I'm going to do a lot of performance mods, cut off the roll hoop, improve the steering, and probably swap from one wheel peel to live axle!
Thanks for looking! :thumbsup:

Attachments

• P_20190313_175756.jpg
    P_20190313_175756.jpg
    319.4 KB · Views: 124
  • P_20190313_175852.jpg
    P_20190313_175852.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 72
  • P_20190313_175859.jpg
    P_20190313_175859.jpg
    330.6 KB · Views: 75

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
In 'My sweet B&S resto project' in the build log section you can find some other stuff I'm kinda hoping to do, but we'll see what I can do on my shoestring budget.
Also I think my plan to remove the roll hoop puts it at less than 50% done, but as always that's up to the mods and Robert to decide.
Mods please put in your 2 cents!

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
In 'My sweet B&S resto project' in the build log section you can find some other stuff I'm kinda hoping to do, but we'll see what I can do on my shoestring budget.
Also I think my plan to remove the roll hoop puts it at less than 50% done, but as always that's up to the mods and Robert to decide.
Mods please put in your 2 cents!

You are in the build log section. Just carry on

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
First update:
Worked on straightening the sprocket today, and found out that for some weird reason,
MY TIRES HAVE LIQUID IN THEM!?!?
No clue what kind of liquid, why it's in there, and HOW it's in there, but it's in there.
I found out when I heard a slosh when I was handling the drive wheel today, working on the sprocket. Chances are that the first owner rednecked it, since I also found out he stacked washers to get the proper sprocket spacing. Maybe the reason there's liquid is as follows:
Previous owner as a kid: "Gee, I need to replace my rear wheels."
Redneck friend: "Yuh, sonny boy. Just put some WATER in yo tires. It'll handle like a champ!"
(Not)

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
?? I can't quite think of why they wouldn't let you.
Oh wait, I just remembered that you still have yet to post the pic with the sign.
Good luck!
And please don't clog up my thread...
No offense.

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Dunknow, but it sounds like water.
I'm thinking it might've been stored outside at some point and water somehow got in the tires.
But that doesn't make sense.
So that means I have to unseat the bead to drain them. :mad2:

Tpdingo

Reaction score
Dunknow, but it sounds like water.
I'm thinking it might've been stored outside at some point and water somehow got in the tires.
But that doesn't make sense.
So that means I have to unseat the bead to drain them. :mad2:

Unseating is the hard part. Reseating is the fun part(starter fluid method). Also see if you can remove the core from the valve stem and remove the water that way.

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
We'll see. I might even just leave the liquid in there.
For all I know it's some sort of expensive rust inhibitor or tire preserver.
But chances are it's just water.

Tpdingo

Reaction score
We'll see. I might even just leave the liquid in there.
For all I know it's some sort of expensive rust inhibitor or tire preserver.
But chances are it's just water.

I'm waiting for you to unmount the tire and found someone used fix-a-flat like 15 years ago and now the latex and other crap they put in there has started to liquify!

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
That's almost EXACTLY what I was thinking!

---------- Post added at 08:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 AM ----------

And it makes sense because the rear tires would've worn fast since it has scrub brakes.

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
FYI Sorry I haven't made any progress for a while.
I'm held up by putting the gol-durn starter back together, getting a frozen wheel bearing off, and reassembling the drive wheel.
Also I busted up my knee by crashing my bike, so I can't walk right, much less work on my kart. :(

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
FYI Sorry I haven't made any progress for a while.
I'm held up by putting the gol-durn starter back together, getting a frozen wheel bearing off, and reassembling the drive wheel.
Also I busted up my knee by crashing my bike, so I can't walk right, much less work on my kart. :(

You have the whole year to complete the build. Don't rush

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Update!

Well, I figured out something I could do without aggravating my knee! :wai:
Remember how I posted that the drive sprocket was bent?
FIXED!
It was only a matter of stacking washers in different arrangements! (Took ~3 HOURS:ack2:)
So the sprocket is now PERFECTLY ALIGNED! :wai::wai::2guns:
Also found out that the rear wheels have been *cough* repurposed, and *cough*, customized.
By that I mean the previous owner drilled a bajillion holes on the center of the wheel, along with 8 bolt holes, to fit the hub on. (Only 4 bolt holes used)
And I'm sure the rims are rusting from the inside out from the water in them. :innocent:
Didn't take any pics(sorry), but look out for the next video on my Youtube channel, Kartssource, 'cause it'll have me fixing it.
FYI I discovered that a cordless impact gun with a socket adapter saves about 30% of my time!!! Get one!