2019 - Ultimate Yard Kart

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Skulldrinker put the logo on black for me, thanks man!
He has sent it to his brother to have a custom sticker made for me, and I'm going to put it in the floorpan in a pseudo-Trans Am Screaming Chicken effect.
So, we'll see how it turns out!

Attachments

• logo_on_black.jpg
    logo_on_black.jpg
    354.3 KB · Views: 6

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Also I'm saving up for a billet connecting rod!
Once I do that I'll remove the governor, and then this thing'll go SCARY fast!
ATM though, I'm working on shortening the chain. :ack2:

skulldrinker

Reaction score
Well since you are divulging your source here it is coming off the printer. They get laminated and then cut out on the outlines. Keeping 2 for my kart.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190613-222517_Textra.jpg
    Screenshot_20190613-222517_Textra.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 18

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Whats the problem that you are having shortening your chain? That is probably one of the easiest things to do

I'm waiting for half links.
Question: When I put in the half link, the pin is held in with a little cotter pin. Does the half link eliminate the master link? Otherwise I can't understand how it would end up being any shorter.

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
It finally RUNS!!! Again....

I put in the half link today, so now the chain is the correct length, although not perfectly aligned due to the PO bending the axle the shoehorn huge tires on.
I was riding it around, when it started to sputter and subsequently died.
I thought it was an AFR problem, so I started fiddling with the mixture screws.
After fiddling it to death and just about yanking my arm off, I figured out that it must be out of gas, since it wouldn't even sputter. :mad2:
So I pushed it home, filled it up, and then found it wouldn't start because the mixture screws were way out of adjustment. I also suspected I had an exhaust leak that may have been a problem, so I got the old metal gasket off that was REALLY crusty and old and just generally nasty off and replaced it with a more normal material gasket. Unfortunately the gasket was just slightly the wrong size for some reason, so it tore through a teeny bit around the bolt holes, but I don't think it affects the seal.
After fiddling with the mixture screws a lot more, and making both my arms really tired, I finally got it running!
So I took it for a spin while I had it running, but it was way too lean so it would start to die under any throttle. So after yet more fiddling, I took it for a good long spin and took it all the way up to it's governed 25 mph top speed!
I almost have enough money for a ARC enduro billet rod, so once I get that, I'll install it and remove the governor.
With current gearing, it should theoretically go ~40 mph!
Although, that is with tall gearing, and I will gear it lower, but it should still go like stink!
I won't have the next Kartssource video done until about a week or two from now, since this coming week I'm going camping at Big Bend National Park fro a week with other church members.
:wai:

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
I put in the half link today, so now the chain is the correct length, although not perfectly aligned due to the PO bending the axle the shoehorn huge tires on.
I was riding it around, when it started to sputter and subsequently died.
I thought it was an AFR problem, so I started fiddling with the mixture screws.
After fiddling it to death and just about yanking my arm off, I figured out that it must be out of gas, since it wouldn't even sputter. :mad2:
So I pushed it home, filled it up, and then found it wouldn't start because the mixture screws were way out of adjustment. I also suspected I had an exhaust leak that may have been a problem, so I got the old metal gasket off that was REALLY crusty and old and just generally nasty off and replaced it with a more normal material gasket. Unfortunately the gasket was just slightly the wrong size for some reason, so it tore through a teeny bit around the bolt holes, but I don't think it affects the seal.
After fiddling with the mixture screws a lot more, and making both my arms really tired, I finally got it running!
So I took it for a spin while I had it running, but it was way too lean so it would start to die under any throttle. So after yet more fiddling, I took it for a good long spin and took it all the way up to it's governed 25 mph top speed!
I almost have enough money for a ARC enduro billet rod, so once I get that, I'll install it and remove the governor.
With current gearing, it should theoretically go ~40 mph!
Although, that is with tall gearing, and I will gear it lower, but it should still go like stink!
I won't have the next Kartssource video done until about a week or two from now, since this coming week I'm going camping at Big Bend National Park fro a week with other church members.
:wai:

Awesome stuff!!!!! You must be happy to finally be riding it again. If it were me, I would bomb around on it for a while before you go messing with the engine again.As soon as you go replacing internals, the likelihood of you having problems getting it running well again go up. Enjoy it while it is running now

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Awesome stuff!!!!! You must be happy to finally be riding it again. If it were me, I would bomb around on it for a while before you go messing with the engine again.As soon as you go replacing internals, the likelihood of you having problems getting it running well again go up. Enjoy it while it is running now

That's my plan.
Before I get to engine stuff, I'm going to undo the frame modifications first, then bomb around on it a bit more, and then it's time to party!

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
I just read through this thread for the first time. Watched the videos too. You seem to have a handle on the engine issues, the kart frame and all that. You also seem to know the carburetor like the proverbial back of your hand. Good show.

Watched your air cleaner assembly video. The green foam pre-filter is typically oiled to trap dirt. K&N filters use oil, most small engines require this, both my Honda FL250 Odyssey and XL and XR dirt bikes have these too. I think most sources say to use a teaspoon of clean motor oil and work it into the sponge with your hands. During periodic maintenance, the pre-filter is cleaned in hot soapy water, left to air dry, re-oiled and reinstalled.

You air cleaner appears to be missing the steel "can" that fits over it, no big deal, but it would help keep the whole filter assembly protected. Most of these engines were designed to work in very dirty conditions.

Gas dribbling onto your throttle assembly, while annoying, won't really hurt it.... unless the gas is washing away any lubricant you have on it. :eek:

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
I just read through this thread for the first time. Watched the videos too. You seem to have a handle on the engine issues, the kart frame and all that. You also seem to know the carburetor like the proverbial back of your hand. Good show.

Watched your air cleaner assembly video. The green foam pre-filter is typically oiled to trap dirt. K&N filters use oil, most small engines require this, both my Honda FL250 Odyssey and XL and XR dirt bikes have these too. I think most sources say to use a teaspoon of clean motor oil and work it into the sponge with your hands. During periodic maintenance, the pre-filter is cleaned in hot soapy water, left to air dry, re-oiled and reinstalled.

You air cleaner appears to be missing the steel "can" that fits over it, no big deal, but it would help keep the whole filter assembly protected. Most of these engines were designed to work in very dirty conditions.

Gas dribbling onto your throttle assembly, while annoying, won't really hurt it.... unless the gas is washing away any lubricant you have on it. :eek:

Yeah, troubleshooting and tearing apart the same carb ~3 times and painstakingly analyzing the parts diagrams over and over again will do that to you!
The annoying thing is that the emulsion tube/jet(I think it's all one piece) won't come out due to the fact that it needs a weird sized screwdriver, and it's just stubborn. Ah well, it doesn't keep me from drilling it out later!:stir:
Yeah, should probably oil the air prefilter. I knew the rain hood is missing, but it's probably just more restriction anyway, and it's not like I'm going mudding with it, since the 1WD will keep that in check!
The gas on the throttle assembly isn't a problem, it's just annoying and makes a mess.
Since I fixed the carb, it's now a VERY slow leak, nothing to be concerned about, whereas before the carb would completely fill up and flood the engine, and somehow get gas into the muffler, which was a fire hazard! :ack2:
Glad it's all good and done. :wai:

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Theres no "not going mudding" with a yard kart unless its a pavement princess.

It's gonna be almost strictly pavement and hard packed dirt, since I've already gotten it stuck before in my backyard with some slight mud. Once I gear it down a bit it will probably be better suited for the yard, but it'll still be mostly rippin' up the asphalt! :auto:

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
I saw your video of you driving the OG Budget Go Kart, and I saw ya drifting that, but I didn't know you broke it!
It's really cool that you got it back!

Dingocat

Broke
Reaction score
Did you watch my drifting video i raged it so hard i broke it
Haven't here, my friend and I were going up his driveway in oposite directions and he was coming at me fast so I moved over to the right and he veered left for some reason and went into the wet grass, slammed on the brakes ans spun it sideways and almost smashed the side into a tree, the one wheel got caught on a tree and ripped the tie rod end off, stripped like a half inch of the threads in the thing. He gave me an end off his kart (crashed one of mine), I put it on and away we went, until the bolts on the predator vibrated loose and the chain loosened enough to start skipping teeth. Fun ride.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Yikes, that sounds like a MASSIVE adrenaline rush!
I'm hoping to take my kart out for a ride today, and I'm hoping I'll be able to get it to powerslide!

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
It looks effectively unchanged, but I'll put up some pics today of how it sits at the moment.
I have gotten the kill switch hooked back up, since it came off while I was driving it around at one point. So I just soldered it all up properly to make sure it stayed.
A while back wile I was fiddling with the kart, I had a brainfart and yanked on the starter cord while the engine was unbolted.
The high compression made it yank clear off the frame and land on the various tools I had laid out. :mad2:
So there was a dent in the blower housing. Didn't obstruct anything and wasn't really visible, but it really bugged me.
It's a good thing I was able to hammer it back out!
So yeah, pics comin'! And in landscape, too!

Budget GoKart

Aka a kenbar
Reaction score
Dont start drifting right away it needs to be in grass so you dont die. A nice dry open grass field or dirt works. But just start off learning how it drives slowly and when comfortable FLOOR IT! Then practice drifting while in the grass if you go too fast into the grass you spin out and will probably brake it

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
I don't have access to a large grassy lot, and the first time it got tail happy was in my first ride video. I've probably logged ~1-2 hours on the kart, so I'm pretty familiar with the driving dynamics. I have a pretty natural feel for the kart, so I'm already pretty confident driving it around and whatnot.
I have gotten it to do a 180 on loose pavement, and on smooth pavement turning in a culdesac, I can feel the kart gettin' sideways! It's epic!