Bobs 2024 Build Off Build

Rat

Reaction score
That 115mm is just a ball park figure.
Since the locknut moves and I’m not sure the length of the original head tube.
There's a big acorn nut maybe missing? Idk
So the locknut clamps down on the head tube, but it seems as though the upper triple tree is supposed to sit on the top of the lock nut.
Yes the lock nut sets the preload on the bearings, then the top bridge clamp slides on, and there may or may not be shim washers but the lock nut is usually stepped so the top bridge can sit down over it to be off the threads. Then there's the big ol acorn nut which jams it all together.
1000001788.jpg
I actually prefer to slightly over tighten the bearing preload run the acorn down relatively snug and the back the preload off doing the loosen/tighten dance until nothing moves and the bearings are at minimum drag without latteral movement.
So I guess the tube length should be exact, but I think I could use some washers.
I think I need to get the bearings and find out exactly where they sit on the steering tube.
Close enough is good enough, it's better the steer tube be too long because you can shim, if it comes up short you're just plain screwed.
I think I thought about it enough. I should really read those threads I mentioned earlier. I think it was on planet minis or some forum I was unaware of.

Last edited:

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
I was thinking about the bypass valve again.
A 30mm carb has bore area of 707 sq mm.

1/8 of that full throttle bore area would be 88.4 sq mm.

The valve I have is 41 mm diameter. Circumference = 128.8 mm.

I would need 0.68 mm of valve lift for the curtain area to match the 88.4 sq mm (1/8 x full throttle area).

As far as tubing, 88.4 sq mm would be 10.6 mm ID tubing. This t-pipe is about 12 mm ID (113 sq mm).

This area (113 sq mm) equals 16% of the full throttle area. It also equals the valve curtain area of the 41 mm valve opened 0.87 mm.

Assuming the valve can be tuned properly to open with “x” amount of pressure (vacuum), and idle throttle position allows less than 1/6 the full throttle air flow, and valve opens 0.87 mm…
I think it will work.

IMG_5201.jpegimage.jpg

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
When you haven’t used integral calculus in 20 years and forget how to integrate the area of a circle under a constant straight line but you remember that the almighty Graph Paper has power and knowledge that makes calculus cower in fear.

This is the slide / throttle position where the area of the opening matches the area of the choke point in the system.

1/6 the area of the full throttle area.

IMG_5202.jpeg

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
Not that it matters, but I think I made an error in previous image.

I wonder how close I am by counting squares vs the calculus answer. I think 6.4 +/- 0.2 is reasonable.
IMG_5202.jpeg

Last edited:

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
Why would you want a minibike, when you could have a project.

You can’t have your cake project and eat it too.

Life is without a definite destination. And even if you think you know the destination, you will find yourself disappointed once you get there. There is no destination, only a journey.

Rat

Reaction score
Why would you want a minibike, when you could have a project.

You can’t have your cake project and eat it too.
Bull$hit 🤣🤣 that's why my projects are never complete... only ever "done for now" and then I get a hairbrained idea and starting messing around and end up breaking something I. The process of doing something that didn't need doing... I just needed something to occupy my overactive creative mind.

I've been riding and "building the same project" for 4 years. Then started a second one only to abandon it until getting a killer deal on a killer engine... and abandoned it after a few test runs.
Now I've got a much bigger project keeping me pleasantly annoyed.

My creative mind is pretty much a tweaker... I can't NOT create for too long or I get fidgety and just all around mean while I calculate this, that, or the other, as to what it would require to do the thing on my mind.

hardcorewill

Reaction score
Are we to the Titanic yet my PSP handheld is start the bleep. grab me a beer. I'll see you at the cornhole game.

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
I have no idea what that means. I need about 14 beers to understand. But what I managed to get out of the post was this image of people doing the Titanic pose on a motorcycle. Enjoy.
IMG_5207.jpeg

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Bob, I too am INTP and probably a little on the autistic scale. I can only think about a project for 5 or 10 years before I have to build. But I don’t try to reinvent the wheel because it has already been perfected for my needs. But I have learned to get off my butt and do. I only leave my property to go to work (now that I’m back to work). I don’t go into a grocery store unless I’m just about the only one in there. And I only have a few friends, but we’ve known each other for over 50 years. But we’re starting to die off. See so it is important to get out and do and not overthink too much.

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
Ohh personalities that's fun. I'm a ISTP on the spectrum.
I looked into the myers-Briggs and Big 5 personality types.

ISTP vs INTP, so you are more practical and I’m more imaginative.

The Big 5 is more useful, but less romantic.

99th Percentile in Neuroticism.
14th Percentile in Extraversion.
53rd Percentile in Openness
3rd Percentile in Agreeableness
7th Percentile in Conscientious

99th in neuroticism and 3rd in Agreeableness means “can’t nobody tell me nuttin”

IMG_5235.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5240.jpeg
    IMG_5240.jpeg
    107.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5244.jpeg
    IMG_5244.jpeg
    106.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5243.jpeg
    IMG_5243.jpeg
    150.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5242.jpeg
    IMG_5242.jpeg
    136.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5241.jpeg
    IMG_5241.jpeg
    122.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
I don’t do any experiments like that! I’m a germaphobe too! Along with anxiety and depression.
I wouldn’t experiment by drinking urine, but I’ve spent more than a few hours thinking about using human pee as a nitrogen fertilizer. I mean urine was the original Nitrogen fertilizer (probably).

Add some wood ash for potassium.

Not sure I’m willing to try to make my own bonemeal for phosphorous or mine for soft rock phosphate.

The prepper in me, wants to learn to make my own fertilizer to grow my own food.

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
Speaking of urine. I’m going to attempt to make a DIY enzymatic pet stain carpet cleaner.

My best bud has developed a habit of wetting the carpet.

Meat Tenderizer has bromelain (protease) which breaks down proteins.

This enzyme capsule also has amylase and lipase. Not sure what each enzyme does. Says breaks down fats, proteins, and carbs.

Attachments

• IMG_5247.jpeg
    IMG_5247.jpeg
    106.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5246.png
    IMG_5246.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5248.jpeg
    IMG_5248.jpeg
    180.9 KB · Views: 2

Rat

Reaction score
Speaking of urine. I’m going to attempt to make a DIY enzymatic pet stain carpet cleaner.

My best bud has developed a habit of wetting the carpet.

Meat Tenderizer has bromelain (protease) which breaks down proteins.

This enzyme capsule also has amylase and lipase. Not sure what each enzyme does. Says breaks down fats, proteins, and carbs.
Distilled white vinegar works wonders. You can use Cider Vinegar in a pinch but it neutralizes everything even when there is a "favorite spot"