Newbie Needs Advice

Speedster

Reaction score
If you go with 4”x4 hubs there too with bearings you can use trailer tires. They will wear great and last longer!
I was thinking something like 10"-13". I just looked, and there doesn't seem to be a lot (what an understatement) of trailer wheels that are even 13" from bottom of the tire to the top. Hints?

Rat

Reaction score
I was thinking something like 10"-13". I just looked, and there doesn't seem to be a lot (what an understatement) of trailer wheels that are even 13" from bottom of the tire to the top. Hints?
Pay attention to ALL the numbers.
For example the OE tires for my Kawasaki Mule are 23x11-10; this means the inflated tire stands 23" from top to bottom at 11" wide, on a 10" rim.

You'd have better luck finding 12x5-6 kart tires

Rat

Reaction score
I don't know! It goes against all my preconceived notions of how a go kart should be made.
Physics will b★tch slap your "preconceived notions" like a pissedoff polar bear.

When it comes to handling characteristics, wider is always better up until the point its just plain rediculous and hinders turning radius

Wider tires offers more traction AND a wider chassis offers a more stable platform for said traction when hurling into a corner... getting as low as reasonably possible helps as well because it leaves less room for the unsprung mass to roll.

Speedster

Reaction score
Check these out. video 1 and video 2 He ran it real hard in video 2, probably put as much wear on the fronts as I would put in a couple months. Maybe cheaper is fine for getting things figured out?

Rat

Reaction score
That is probably the best possible reason that could have been come up with. Golf cart tires in back, wheelbarrow tires in front.
You would be better off with 12x5-6 waffles up front, and 20x10-8 or 24×12-10 on the rear

Speedster

Reaction score
Physics will b★tch slap your "preconceived notions" like a pissedoff polar bear.

When it comes to handling characteristics, wider is always better up until the point its just plain rediculous.

Wider tires offers more traction AND a wider chassis offers a more stable platform for said traction when hurling into a corner... getting as low as reasonably possible helps as well because it leaves less room for the unsprung mass to roll.
Maybe I need to check into wider wheels.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
You can get a 12x4x8 with a 4 lug wheel. It’s a small trailer tire.
Do not listen to that moron in the video. He will get you hurt or killed with those HF wheels! The hubs rip out of those, tires last minutes on pavement before catastrophic failure occurs.

Rat

Reaction score
Every frigging time I use a hand truck, the pneumatic tires are flat. The bearing suck and wobble. Not the thing I want on a fast(er than walking) powered anything.

Ever hear the saying "Lo barato sale caro"?
The cheap comes out expensive.
Pay more now to pay less later is definitely the way to play. FFS that the whole reason genuine Comet belts are pushed so hard here and it is exceedingly unlikely a blown belt is going to do more than leave some gnarly welts.