Newbie Needs Advice

Rat

Reaction score
22” tires require at least a 56:10 set up to keep belts healthy and happy. But 6:1 makes them the happiest of all.
I'm running 5.4:1 with a 23.98 overall inflated diameter just fine.
This also leans into the fact that terrain is just as big a factor as torque output because I used to run 26.2" tires with 3.6:1 just fine, however that was a mostly flat region unlike the mountains I reside in now. There's hardly any room to get above 40 before needing to back off or brake.

Speedster

Reaction score
Check with us first before buying junk.
What would be the best way to do that, start a thread and post there whenever I find some junk I wanna buy, start a new thread for each piece of junk, or is there already a thread where people do that?

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Just keep going on this thread. It is frowned upon (against the rules) to start a new thread for every question. Keep it all in one place.

Speedster

Reaction score
Ok... first junk I want to buy... Here is. It is a live axle kit from Walmart. I am including the link. Whaddya think? axle kit link-click here
And here's some wheels I found, also at Walmart. (for the front): front wheel link-click here
And I decided to go with a 7hp engine, which was smaller than I was originally thinking. By doing that, the parts (at least the torque convertor) become cheaper. If I do well enough with the frame, and if I want more power later on, I can always swap it out for a heavier duty one.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Pass on all of it! The axles have a reputation for ripping the splines out of the hubs and 3 lug rims are expensive. Whe wheel barrow wheels will rip the centers out on short order and tires aren’t made for more than walking speeds.
GoKart Supply, OMB Warehouse, BMI, MFG Supply, Amazon and Go Power Sports. You can find quality parts there. Just be careful with Amazon.
Go with a 1” axle that is keyed all across. Look at all parts as an assembly, how one thing will react with another. If you do it right you won’t need to build another frame, just add on to it. Only use split locking collars, don’t use the ones with only a set screw. They’re junk. Use pieces of pipe for spacers on axles.

Rat

Reaction score
Which one of those is the cheapest and best overall in your opinion?
Amazon is likely the cheapest, but OMB and BMI I would say contend for the top slot... both have their own webs as well as ebay stores. I've gotten a few things from OMB, but if they're recommended here by the old heads like Panchothedog, Denny, or Master Hack (just to keep the list short) then they are worth the cost

Rat

Reaction score

Speedster

Reaction score
If you were smarter and less hardheaded
😁 Thanks for the response. I must be getting smarter, 'cause if you look back at post #26 and #27 of this thread, I asked @Denny about a kit that is the spitting image of that one. He said to go with a keyed axle, and he said that three lug rims were expensive. I think that is sound advice. AND, the kit that I found was TWO DOLLARS AND TWENTY-TWO CENTS cheaper than the one you found. CHA-CHING! Lunch for weeks. Seriously though, thanks for helpin'.

Rat

Reaction score
😁 Thanks for the response. I must be getting smarter, 'cause if you look back at post #26 and #27 of this thread, I asked @Denny about a kit that is the spitting image of that one. He said to go with a keyed axle, and he said that three lug rims were expensive
While you're busy being a cocky F★ck, the operating word was LIKE

As in its not my project to search things for, but I do know there a 4 lug versions of that same kit and it doesn't change the fact you're going to need driver hubs and PROPER wheels.

There are ways to cut corners safely, wheels and tires ARE NOT and WILL NOT ever be one of them

Speedster

Reaction score
Find a kit with a keyed axle and not a splined axle!
That is what I will do, I think it is sound advice for sure. The axle and parts kit I showed you most recently was keyed, maybe you missed it? I will re-post those links, along with some other things I found on Amazon. What do you think of these? I decided to go with a centrifugal clutch for now. Maybe I will upgrade to a torque convertor one day. Most of my karting will be on roads, anyways. I think the wheels should be fine with the hubs, as far as I can tell. They are meant for a golf cart, so I think they should be fine at higher speeds. (I.E, 30ish mph.) WhiteTrashRocker uses turf tires, and these should be even better. And in the interest of safety, I have decided to settle for a lower top speed than what I was initially thinking.
axle-click here
axle parts-click here
wheel sprocket hub-click here
chain sprocket-click here
drive wheels-click here
centrifugal clutch-click here
BTW, I REALLY appreciate all your help and patience. Something has clicked, and all this stuff is just now starting to make sense. Thank you SO much.

Rat

Reaction score
That is what I will do, I think it is sound advice for sure. The axle and parts kit I showed you most recently was keyed, maybe you missed it? I will re-post those links, along with some other things I found on Amazon. What do you think of these? I decided to go with a centrifugal clutch for now. Maybe I will upgrade to a torque convertor one day. Most of my karting will be on roads, anyways. I think the wheels should be fine with the hubs, as far as I can tell. They are meant for a golf cart, so I think they should be fine at higher speeds. (I.E, 30ish mph.) WhiteTrashRocker uses turf tires, and these should be even better. And in the interest of safety, I have decided to settle for a lower top speed than what I was initially thinking.
axle-click here
axle parts-click here
wheel sprocket hub-click here
chain sprocket-click here
drive wheels-click here
centrifugal clutch-click here
BTW, I REALLY appreciate all your help and patience. Something has clicked, and all this stuff is just now starting to make sense. Thank you SO much.
Now you're getting it.

My 75mph rated tires have never been above 45mph... but the level of traction they have wet or dry is pretty epic.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
I agree, now you’re getting it. Except t don’t know if the wheel hubs are going to play nice with the wheels. Look for the kind with the studs already mounted for the wheels with a 4”x4 bolt pattern. Also I don’t know how well the centrifugal clutch is going to play with the golf kart tires. Go with a 30 series TAV II kit from the jungle store.

Speedster

Reaction score
I agree, now you’re getting it. Except t don’t know if the wheel hubs are going to play nice with the wheels. Look for the kind with the studs already mounted for the wheels with a 4”x4 bolt pattern. Also I don’t know how well the centrifugal clutch is going to play with the golf kart tires. Go with a 30 series TAV II kit from the jungle store.
I have changed my mind again, I forgot to tell you. I decided to go with an 11hp engine. Not for more speed, for more power. Would the clutch work with that? If not, that's fine. And I will try to find different hubs. Other than that, did the stuff look like it would work together?
Thanks! I sure appreciate it.