Manco 813 rear axle rebuild

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Seen to many go karts, mini bikes, atvs, dirt bikes just sitting getting a permanent tan. Mother Nature sure is hard on stuff at times.
I must agree in general with hating to see it, and having seen too many already. Just want to point out that since I've unfortunately not had enough opportunity to explore junkyards very much in my lifetime (a huge entertainment for me), the amount of abandoned-looking and seemingly beyond-any-hope gokarts and minibikes I've seen on this forum makes this the place where I've seen the most of that kind of thing ever.
It's inspirational to see the dead being brought back to life here, from just enough to rip it for fun, to amazing complete restorations. I truly appreciate smart mechanical work and redesign, and certainly also great craftsmanship.
BTW: Your craftsmanship is showing. Don't bother to pull your hemline back down, I like it.

Possom Point

Reaction score
I must agree in general with hating to see it, and having seen too many already. Just want to point out that since I've unfortunately not had enough opportunity to explore junkyards very much in my lifetime (a huge entertainment for me), the amount of abandoned-looking and seemingly beyond-any-hope gokarts and minibikes I've seen on this forum makes this the place where I've seen the most of that kind of thing ever.
It's inspirational to see the dead being brought back to life here, from just enough to rip it for fun, to amazing complete restorations. I truly appreciate smart mechanical work and redesign, and certainly also great craftsmanship.
BTW: Your craftsmanship is showing. Don't bother to pull your hemline back down, I like it.
I appreciate the kind words!!! And I can’t agree more, seeing things brought back to life can and is a happy and hopeful task.

mellow

Reaction score
Nice to see someone get this fixed, mine has been sitting in the backyard for the past 2 years with the motor in the garage. Do you have a parts list you could share?

Possom Point

Reaction score
Nice to see someone get this fixed, mine has been sitting in the backyard for the past 2 years with the motor in the garage. Do you have a parts list you could share?

Yes. It should be the third picture on the first page of this thread, that is what I needed to re-do the rear end on this kart.

mellow

Reaction score
Ok, it was short on details, didn't know if you had a better list or not. Thanks.

mellow

Reaction score
Sometimes I don't think english is my primary language, I found the parts list on the first thread 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Thanks for doing this, I have been wanting to put that cart back together but other projects keep getting put in front of it. Hoping I can fit this inbetween the mower rebuild project before the grass starts growing :LOL::LOL:

Possom Point

Reaction score
Sometimes I don't think english is my primary language, I found the parts list on the first thread 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Thanks for doing this, I have been wanting to put that cart back together but other projects keep getting put in front of it. Hoping I can fit this inbetween the mower rebuild project before the grass starts growing :LOL::LOL:
😉😉 all good. Hope it helps and good luck with your build, grass does grow pretty fast so may need to do the mower first 😬😬

mellow

Reaction score
@Possom Point Can you review my cart at gopower? I can't see how to save the cart as a wish list anymore to share so I created a .pdf of it. I think I have everything I need but wanted to get a second opinion. Also I can't get my hubs off the current setup so I included that in mine, I think they are the right ones? Thanks!

Attachments

• GoPowerSports.com - Shopping Cart.pdf
    589.9 KB · Views: 7

Possom Point

Reaction score
@Possom Point Can you review my cart at gopower? I can't see how to save the cart as a wish list anymore to share so I created a .pdf of it. I think I have everything I need but wanted to get a second opinion. Also I can't get my hubs off the current setup so I included that in mine, I think they are the right ones? Thanks!
I see you added the bearing and flange set , unless your flanges are bent or you want to put new ones on, you shouldn’t need those. The split sprocket you selected is a 41/420, you have a 40 chain in the kart( which I think that is fine, someone please reassure that). I’ll have to look at the hubs, they look right to me, because I was going to do that route as well. BUT. Spray some WD or PB blaster behind the wheel if you can get some in there, and use a dead blow hammer to hit the back side of the CURRENT hubs, obviously take the wheel off first though 😁😁. Try and use the stock ones. They are pretty stout but mine was bent some. If they don’t move. Soak the hub and let it sit for a while. If your cart was left outside, well....Mother Nature stepped in. Rust. And more rust.

also with the brake pucks. I didn’t measure mine I reused them. Sanded both sides on a flat surface with 150 or 220 grit in a circular pattern. Along with brake pucks, do you need rotors? Mine were welded on and I didn’t want to cut them off and have to do a bunch of grinding.

mellow

Reaction score
Thanks, I saw in the thread that split socket was preferred over the whole one so I added it instead. I added the chain as a CYA as the chain I have is OK but you know how that goes, I was trying to throw everything but the kitchen sink in the cart so I don't have to do another order later.

I will try to get those hubs off again, the nut is about welded on, I have hit it with kroil,pb blaster, wd 40, and every word known to man but can't get it to move.

Attachments

• go kart axle broke.jpg
    go kart axle broke.jpg
    514.7 KB · Views: 5

Possom Point

Reaction score
Thanks, I saw in the thread that split socket was preferred over the whole one so I added it instead. I added the chain as a CYA as the chain I have is OK but you know how that goes, I was trying to throw everything but the kitchen sink in the cart so I don't have to do another order later.

I will try to get those hubs off again, the nut is about welded on, I have hit it with kroil,pb blaster, wd 40, and every word known to man but can't get it to move.
Yes definitely get the double split like you have in the cart, I agree. I’ve made order before and forgot parts and had to pay separate shipping. Sucked.

so did your axle break? or did you drop the axle before taking the hub off?
I use KROIL if nothing else works, that’s my last resort. And generally have good success with it, being expensive that’s why it’s my last resort.

You will most likely have to make spacers like I did. Unless there is or was a method I missed when I did mine, but your most likely going to need them.

mellow

Reaction score
so did your axle break? or did you drop the axle before taking the hub off?

Axle cracked and I couldn't find anyone locally that would take on the challenge of welding it true, so it has been sitting.

Attachments

• go kart axle broke2.jpg
    go kart axle broke2.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 6

Possom Point

Reaction score
Axle cracked and I couldn't find anyone locally that would take on the challenge of welding it true, so it has been sitting.
That looks like the brake rotor cracked..... I can’t zoom in enough but that doesn’t look like the axle.........

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
The split sprocket you selected is a 41/420, you have a 40 chain in the kart( which I think that is fine, someone please reassure that).
Here's a link to a simple chart that explains the differences in #40, #41, #420 chains. All are 1/2" chains with 5/16" rollers. The only difference that matters to me is that #40 chain's roller width (side plate to side plate) is 1/16" wider than the others, it will work on sprockets for any of the 3 sizes. The problem is with #40 sprockets themselves, if they're 1/16" wider than the others they could bind on the other chains. Folks seem to believe the sprockets don't vary in width, that it's just the chain itself, and I'm unsure. What I am definitely sure of is that if you have #40 chain you can't go wrong, no matter which # sprockets you have, so #40 chain used w/any # sprocket wins in my view.
Chain for Go Kart, Mini Bike | GoKarts USA®

mellow

Reaction score
I just took a closer pic of the crack, I was told it could not be fixed easily so I was going the new axle route.

Attachments

• D8BDA294-9921-40D1-B00C-79A1584E6AB9.jpeg
    D8BDA294-9921-40D1-B00C-79A1584E6AB9.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5

Possom Point

Reaction score
I just took a closer pic of the crack, I was told it could not be fixed easily so I was going the new axle route.
Much better!!! we may need some members chime in. Does this not look like the brake rotor?

I’ll get a pic of mine if I can and compare

mellow

Reaction score
The axle can’t hold weight and is out of true, the chain was popping off the sprocket with it like this so it must be structurally unsound. I couldn’t see how to fix it.

Possom Point

Reaction score
Axle pics
I was able to slide the brake rotor on the axle there is a small key holding the brake rotor on the axle. There are two small spacers that were welded to the axle to keep the brake rotor from moving past that point.

Attachments

• 2E41184E-B700-4893-8CEA-7715145EF7FA.jpeg
    2E41184E-B700-4893-8CEA-7715145EF7FA.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
  • 00D8FB04-D702-4631-966B-38647A17C6E5.jpeg
    00D8FB04-D702-4631-966B-38647A17C6E5.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
  • 0ADD9B49-AE1D-4377-8E5D-91C6ABD955C2.jpeg
    0ADD9B49-AE1D-4377-8E5D-91C6ABD955C2.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Possom Point

Reaction score
The axle can’t hold weight and is out of true, the chain was popping off the sprocket with it like this so it must be structurally unsound. I couldn’t see how to fix it.
Hmmm. This is hard to figure out on my end, not being there to physically see it.