It's The Little Things That Make The Biggest Difference

Status
Not open for further replies.

machinist@large

Reaction score
......As for the old engine, found time to open it up & investigate...

In all my years, I've never seen a rod let go like this...

Wow. That is some damage!

:idea2: Let me guess; you forgot your glasses when you went to the part's store, and grabbed a bottle of nitro methane by mistake when you thought you were buying carb cleaner..... It would be the easiest explanation..... :oops:

OzFab

Reaction score
Honestly, I have no idea what happened or why, one day it ran fine, the next day it started knocking & then stopped running...

Whatever the case, it runs much better than ever now, lots more grunt...

Last edited:

OzFab

Reaction score
We recently moved to a new house which had been vacant & unmaintained for some time; the real estate did their best to clean it up but, the grass surrounding the house needed a bit more work (It's great when the maintenance guy mulches 2' high grass into the lawns & doesn't even bother with the 100 yard long driveway :sarcasm:)...

In the process of cleaning up someone elses mess, the key start switch on the riding mower decided to die on me; rather than spending ~$30 on a new one, I spent $5 on a momentary switch (for starting) & a push/pull switch (to kill the engine) &, along with some wire, spade terminals & a small amount of time figuring out the wiring config, I replaced the oem switch with a keyless system; as the engine starts without the choke, I was able to replace the choke lever with the push/pull switch & the momentary starter switch resides where the oem switch was...

Attachments

• IMAG1323.jpg
    IMAG1323.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMAG1321.jpg
    IMAG1321.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMAG1320.jpg
    IMAG1320.jpg
    312.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMAG1319_1.jpg
    IMAG1319_1.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

OzFab

Reaction score
Since moving to the new house, I've noticed a few things that need doing, the most notable being that the bottom rails of the colorbond fence are at or below ground level, which is not good; being that the fence is steel, this causes rust & voids the 15 year warranty so, I set about rectifying the situation by chipping away the earth below the fence & tapering up away from the fence to meet the yard level...

The biggest issue is, I, nor my daughter has a wheelbarrow so, I had the idea of making a trailer from a 44 gallon drun to attach to my riding mower; the issue is, I can't find any nearby...

What I do have is one or two damaged panels of the aforementioned fence so, a bit of cutting, drilling & riveting later, I have what equates to half of a 44 gallon drum; once attached to a standard dolly, this will make an adequate "earth mover"...

Then I set about attaching the dolly to the mower; using some strips of steel & a single nut & bolt, along with some cutting & bending, I ended up with a workable hitch...

After that was done, I decided to do something about the "way too loud" muffler on the mower; why is it so loud? No packing so, after I split the muffler, I'm off to find some muffler packing material...

Attachments

• IMAG1340.jpg
    IMAG1340.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMAG1337.jpg
    IMAG1337.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMAG1339.jpg
    IMAG1339.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMAG1338.jpg
    IMAG1338.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMAG1336.jpg
    IMAG1336.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMAG1341.jpg
    IMAG1341.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMAG1342.jpg
    IMAG1342.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMAG1344.jpg
    IMAG1344.jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 1

OzFab

Reaction score
Speaking of filters...

Some time ago, the rubber on the air filter for AusEX broke where it connects to the filter; I glued it back on but, I knew that was only a band-aid...

Well, now that I have no money to replace the filter, the glue decided to give way the other day so, new band-aid; a strip of thin steel running across the filter & through the clamp; that filter isn't going anywhere... for now...

Attachments

• IMAG1343.jpg
    IMAG1343.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 8

OzFab

Reaction score
It was too late in the day to go hunting for muffler packing so, I made a jig to hold the muffler while I bend the fold back down

Next day, I got lucky on my first strike; went to the local wrecking yard & asked about damaged mufflers & there were two on the scrap heap; "just take it" said the boss :wai:

Back home, I cut it open & extracted enough good packing to fill the ride-on muffler; After applying a generous bead of exhaust sealant, it was into the jig to close it up...

Taking out down time the job took about 30 minutes; ironically, it took around 90 minutes to make the jig...

Attachments

• IMAG1349.jpg
    IMAG1349.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMAG1348.jpg
    IMAG1348.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMAG1347.jpg
    IMAG1347.jpg
    316.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMAG1346.jpg
    IMAG1346.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMAG1345.jpg
    IMAG1345.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMAG1351.jpg
    IMAG1351.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMAG1350.jpg
    IMAG1350.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 1
  • IMAG1352.jpg
    IMAG1352.jpg
    265.2 KB · Views: 1

OzFab

Reaction score
While using the riding mower today I noticed the muffler was glowing; thoughts, too much packing or not enough?

On a different subject, who can figure out what these are?

Attachments

• IMAG1360.jpg
    IMAG1360.jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 11

OzFab

Reaction score
Really, guys? Is there really only two people following this thread? Well, apart from Paul & Pat,
YOU ALL SUCK!

Hopefully, this pic will clarify...

Attachments

• IMAG1361[1].jpg
    IMAG1361[1].jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 5

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
I kept looking at your pics and I just had nothing! lol
They look WAAAY Bigger in the pics.
I was gonna suggest it was a Branding iron From the e/s ranch.
But I thought it was way to big for a branding iron.
At least I saw the e and the s.

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
Oh yeah It is obvious now.
I was gonna guess "Art" I would have been arguably Correct!:roflol:

machinist@large

Reaction score
Good eye; can you now also see the K & Y?

Granted, in the first pic, they were backwards & upside down, just to make it difficult :D

:idea2: :idea2: Don't talk these around: based on what I'm seeing every night on the evening news, you could very well be in the running for some serious cash in Art Prize here in Grand Rapids Michigan.......

(And if you think I'm joking, think again.....)

OzFab

Reaction score
Now, how would I get to Michigan? I can't afford to go to the next town...

IMO, they're more craft than art, art is non functional...

Status
Not open for further replies.