Has anyone here tried this or at least seen it?

Rat

Reaction score
It's hard to see in the pic but the motor came with a manual throttle, I have to remove that and fab some kind of bracket for the throttle cable, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.
You just need one of these. It's worth mentioning this is the same throttle control bracket as the one for ungoverned engines it just includes the link rod for the governor arm; which you'd just remove from the assembly with the governor if you went that route after the fact.

ididitlasterday

Reaction score
You just need one of these. It's worth mentioning this is the same throttle control bracket as the one for ungoverned engines it just includes the link rod for the governor arm; which you'd just remove from the assembly with the governor if you went that route after the fact.

That is a good idea but I'm cheap af and think I can fab something from sheetmetal or angle iron with my cutting wheel and flux core welding machine. I may try uploading the video to Google drive so I can share it.

ididitlasterday

Reaction score
So the progress I made tonight: I mounted the motor on a piece of wood and let it idle to warm up the oil. Changed the oil and ran it some more. While it was running I used a file on the shaft to start getting it closer to 19 mm from 20mm so the clutch will fit. Got it down to roughly 19.5 mm. I'm tired and plan to fry 3 turkeys tomorrow so I'll let y'all know if make more progress.

Almost forgot, the throttle cable should be here tomorrow. And Sunday the cable stop kit.

Rat

Reaction score
So the progress I made tonight: I mounted the motor on a piece of wood and let it idle to warm up the oil. Changed the oil and ran it some more. While it was running I used a file on the shaft to start getting it closer to 19 mm from 20mm so the clutch will fit. Got it down to roughly 19.5 mm. I'm tired and plan to fry 3 turkeys tomorrow so I'll let y'all know if make more progress.

Almost forgot, the throttle cable should be here tomorrow. And Sunday the cable stop kit.
That's one way to do it lol.

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
Don't listen to those fools.
Just hold up a second before you whip out your credit card...

I can't see your manual throttle setup (they all come with one) but if it is anything like a Rotaderp (Predator spelled backwards), then all you need is to loosen the friction screw that the throttle lever pivots on and... just do this:

You can buy an assortment of springs in a plastic box at Horror Fright or nearly anywhere. Maybe the dollar store has some...

EDIT--you can add the throttle return spring nearly anywhere on that throttle arm, further out on the arm for maximum leverage and with a longer spring might actually be better, not sure. I think some people have done that with the spring anchored somewhere on the blower shroud closer to the recoil starter, etc.

Last edited:

ididitlasterday

Reaction score
Don't listen to those fools.
Just hold up a second before you whip out your credit card...

I can't see your manual throttle setup (they all come with one) but if it is anything like a Rotaderp (Predator spelled backwards), then all you need is to loosen the friction screw that the throttle lever pivots on and... just do this:

You can buy an assortment of springs in a plastic box at Horror Fright or nearly anywhere. Maybe the dollar store has some...

EDIT--you can add the throttle return spring nearly anywhere on that throttle arm, further out on the arm for maximum leverage and with a longer spring might actually be better, not sure. I think some people have done that with the spring anchored somewhere on the blower shroud closer to the recoil starter, etc.
Bro, you keep posting the most helpful stuff. Made some progress this morning. It was easier than the video said. The cable will be here tomorrow and it will be a breeze to hook it up. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LMUWD-A9p7PttdmdYLsS1cVxmPPGMWHj/view?usp=drivesdk

ididitlasterday

Reaction score
So I shouldn't have been so quick to say it would be easy. Got out with Jr and took a look, it's possible for me to rig something up quickly, but to make it nice I'm going to have to drag out my welding machine and grinder with the wire wheel. The bar coming from the pedal doesn't have an easy reliable way to connect the type of cable I bought. So I'm going to split a flat washer and weld it for the sheath to bolt to and weld a small bolt to the rod that I can put a nylock nut on for the loop at the cable end. I'll post pics when I make more progress.

ididitlasterday

Reaction score
Thread update. I ordered the proper size clutch but it didn't come with hardware. So today I'm returning the clutch that doesn't fit and finding the correct bolt and washer to go on the end of the shaft. If I have time after driving to the nearest ups store and Lowe's I'm going to try to mock the engine up, possibly weld some things together. I have to look at engine placement, throttle linkage, and how I'm planning to mount the battery. Along with that I want to integrate the kill switch but, I may decide to relocate the key switch and that call be the kill switch. The last thing on my list will be wiring in the light switch with a relay so the lights only come on with the key in the run position. Sorry for the delay, but I have had to deal with domestic issues like family get together and my washing machine died and I'm planning buying one this evening. Life is crazy.

Hellion

Reaction score
I may decide to relocate the key switch and that call be the kill switch.

That's what I would do. It is pretty dumb to have that key switch starter way back there on the engine. Get some lengths of the proper gauge wire and relocate it to the steering wheel strut (right between your legs).

You can be redundant and have a separate kill switch (with a red button) that you can mash in a panic; especially for your kid when he's old enough to ride on his own. It wouldn't hurt, plus it adds a lot of neat buttons to push lol. It can also serve as a casual anti-theft or "prevent unauthorized use" feature but only if it's an ON/OFF style switch (a momentary switch won't work). It has to be in the ON position or the kart won't start. Of course once other people learn that, then the secret is up but it's also really easy to forget. I've done it too many times and I was cursing like mad wondering why my bike wouldn't start...:ROFLMAO:

I just noticed your engine also has a circuit breaker which is yet another kill switch along with the key. All kinds of ways to turn it off ...and prevent unauthorized use. :devil2:

40D99F83-86EE-43F9-9F8B-619748CA179B_1_201_a.jpeg

ididitlasterday

Reaction score
That's what I would do. It is pretty dumb to have that key switch starter way back there on the engine. Get some lengths of the proper gauge wire and relocate it to the steering wheel strut (right between your legs).

You can be redundant and have a separate kill switch (with a red button) that you can mash in a panic; especially for your kid when he's old enough to ride on his own. It wouldn't hurt, plus it adds a lot of neat buttons to push lol. It can also serve as a casual anti-theft or "prevent unauthorized use" feature but only if it's an ON/OFF style switch (a momentary switch won't work). It has to be in the ON position or the kart won't start. Of course once other people learn that, then the secret is up but it's also really easy to forget. I've done it too many times and I was cursing like mad wondering why my bike wouldn't start...:ROFLMAO:

I just noticed your engine also has a circuit breaker which is yet another kill switch along with the key. All kinds of ways to turn it off ...and prevent unauthorized use. :devil2:

View attachment 143728
I'm going to be using a chain and padlock for the purpose of anti theft. I did receive my correct clutch and installed it. I had other issues to deal with over the weekend so that is all I managed to get done. I'll post more hopefully soon. It's 29 degrees here so I'm not sure when

Hellion

Reaction score
I'm going to be using a chain and padlock for the purpose of anti theft.

Well that's another matter entirely, but the multiple kill switches are good for the random bystander who wants a ride when no one is looking. Not sure of your neighborhood makeup, population density, etc., but a kid with his own go kart is probably going to cause a stir among his peers and become the "cool kid" on the block.

When Beaver goes inside to take a whizz, an Eddie Haskell is not too far away.

ididitlasterday

Reaction score
Well that's another matter entirely, but the multiple kill switches are good for the random bystander who wants a ride when no one is looking. Not sure of your neighborhood makeup, population density, etc., but a kid with his own go kart is probably going to cause a stir among his peers and become the "cool kid" on the block.

When Beaver goes inside to take a whizz, an Eddie Haskell is not too far away.
We do have such a neighbor next door, one that uses lots of salty language and says he knows how to drive one already Even though he doesn't have one and he is only 11 or 12 years old. He is also the kid that breaks all of his toys. So believe me I'll be watching out for that one. My kid is only 9 so he won't be getting the keys unsupervised any time soon

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
We do have such a neighbor next door, one that uses lots of salty language and says he knows how to drive one already Even though he doesn't have one and he is only 11 or 12 years old. He is also the kid that breaks all of his toys. So believe me I'll be watching out for that one. My kid is only 9 so he won't be getting the keys unsupervised any time soon
There’s your future felon or mechanic! Could go either way at that age!