Has anyone here tried this or at least seen it?

ididitlasterday

Reaction score
At this point I'm good on wheels and tires, eventually I plan to replace the rear tires and at that point refurbish the rims like I did to this one. At this point I have a great rolling and stopping chassis with an adjustable seat and lights on it. Now I'm going to focus on the drive train and I still haven't worked out in my head how to attach the throttle cable. I'm going to have to mod the throttle on the engine and connect it with a mower throttle cable. When I go to Lowe's today I'll see if they have one I can make work.

ididitlasterday

Reaction score
What size tires go on that 2 piece 4 lug steel rim?
I have 3 matching (4th is bent to hell) and might be what you need.

Iirc they might be 6", but they are definitely on 3/4" spindles
If you look back hellion posted a link to Walmart, and that is what I used to buy them. Best deal on the Internet. Thanks again hellion!

ididitlasterday

Reaction score
Anyone have a link to a good source for a throttle cable. I'm going to have to mod the linkage at the carb, but it should be straightforward. I think a push mower throttle cable would work great but didn't seem so easy to locate for a reasonable price and I don't have a small engine repair place near me, that I know of. I haven't yet gotten back to working on the motor and clutch yet but have most of what I need and have an idea how I'll do it. Just haven't had a lot of time lately.

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
That throttle cable link you posted is precisely what I would have recommended for you. It's a direct fit for many Manco karts and I have two of them. I don't like bicycle cables unless used as a last resort. The threaded area of the cable is great for fine tuning the throttle free-play and/or taking up slack.

Question though, does your kart have a threaded bracket for the cable?

....I don't know if it is obvious from the pics but the rim was very rusted with severe pitting. I used my angle grinder and drill with wire wheels to strip as much rust and paint as i could, cleaned with alcohol and painted them. I cleaned the aluminum and clear coated it.

Fine work. I've had wheels in similar condition that I refurbished in the same way. Like I said previously, you could have filled in the pitting with a thin smear of Bondo or similar product, sanded it down smooth and then painted them. The pitting doesn't really matter though as the condition of the rims, especially where the tire bead rests, are not crucial to them holding air because they have inner tubes.

Which part is aluminum, the hubs?

EDIT: Show us pics of your engine!

Last edited:

Hellion

Reaction score
Measure the length of the cable and measure the length the cable has to go on your kart, before you hit the buy now button---just to be sure.
The advert says it is 63" but is that the cable itself, the cable sheath or the whole thing end to end? :unsure:

Best to have the engine mounted, maybe, when you measure. I like to have a smooth arc in my throttle cables where the cable passes the rear of the seat and it curves up to the throttle/governor assembly linkage. You want that so there's smooth operation and no binding in the cable or cable sheath. <---Keep that in mind when measuring for the total length you need...

Hey mods: this thread needs re-naming and to be moved to the Go Kart Discussion as it has taken on a whole new paradigm.

Last edited:

ididitlasterday

Reaction score
That throttle cable link you posted is precisely what I would have recommended for you. It's a direct fit for many Manco karts and I have two of them. I don't like bicycle cables unless used as a last resort. The threaded area of the cable is great for fine tuning the throttle free-play and/or taking up slack.

Question though, does your kart have a threaded bracket for the cable?

Fine work. I've had wheels in similar condition that I refurbished in the same way. Like I said previously, you could have filled in the pitting with a thin smear of Bondo or similar product, sanded it down smooth and then painted them. The pitting doesn't really matter though as the condition of the rims, especially where the tire bead rests, are not crucial to them holding air because they have inner tubes.

Which part is aluminum, the hubs?

EDIT: Show us pics of your engine!
Sorry I thought I posted pics. So my throttle pedal has a long bar that runs under the seat to attach to the cable there, so I'm pretty sure it really only needs 2-3 feet of cable and sheath. If I had a good bicycle brake cable laying around I would use it. Since I'm having to purchase the link I found was the closest thing and happens to be the cheapest I could find. Whatever I'll need to make it connect, I have my welding machine handy.
The hub on the wheel I refurbished is indeed aluminum, I shined it up and clear coated it.
I also ordered the seat cushion today from Bmi they ship really slow and I chose ground shipping so it will be a while but with my job and parenting and the days being so short I figured I might as well just buy it at that price.

It's hard to see in the pic but the motor came with a manual throttle, I have to remove that and fab some kind of bracket for the throttle cable, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Attachments

• IMG_20231102_183503682.jpg
    IMG_20231102_183503682.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20231102_183435836_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231102_183435836_HDR.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 8

Hellion

Reaction score
I tried narrowing down your kart ID. Fairly certain it is a Carter 2606-SX Econo Kart-2, a photo is seen on this page--https://www.monsterscooterparts.com/go-cart-parts/go-kart-brands/carter-brothers-go-kart-parts It's "econo" or "economy" because of the one-wheel drive...😦😭😉

E1B1C443-E43F-4B2D-B056-3E54566E5702_4_5005_c.jpeg

I did not find a specific manual/parts break-down for that model number. That's the case when a lot of manufacturers go bankrupt.

This will suffice and is closest to your kart configuration (it might be your kart except for minor details, maybe just a different paint color):
2506-SX: http://www.gokartparts.us/pdfs/carterpdfs/2506-3016.pdf

More here: https://www.gopowersports.com/go-kart-breakdowns-user-manuals/carter/

As you can see these karts used steel rods for the brake and throttle. The throttle is mostly rod except for the last 1/3rd which is cable and only 31" long. Pretty wise engineering as it makes the throttle and brake controls more durable; a cable can get shredded from rocks and stumps but a rod can handle more abuse off-road etc.

Using the parts description and # as search terms might assist you in tracking some of the parts down from various sites. It has worked for Manco parts in the past at least for me.

Edited to add: you beat me to it. Yes, you need just the shortest of throttle cables.

Last edited:

ididitlasterday

Reaction score
I tried narrowing down your kart ID. Fairly certain it is a Carter 2606-SX Econo Kart-2, a photo is seen on this page--https://www.monsterscooterparts.com/go-cart-parts/go-kart-brands/carter-brothers-go-kart-parts It's "econo" or "economy" because of the one-wheel drive...😦😭😉

View attachment 143567

I did not find a specific manual/parts break-down for that model number. That's the case when a lot of manufacturers go bankrupt.

This will suffice and is closest to your kart configuration (it might be your kart except for minor details, maybe just a different paint color):
2506-SX: http://www.gokartparts.us/pdfs/carterpdfs/2506-3016.pdf

More here: https://www.gopowersports.com/go-kart-breakdowns-user-manuals/carter/

As you can see these karts used steel rods for the brake and throttle. The throttle is mostly rod except for the last 1/3rd which is cable and only 31" long. Pretty wise engineering as it makes the throttle and brake controls more durable; a cable can get shredded from rocks and stumps but a rod can handle more abuse off-road etc.

Using the parts description and # as search terms might assist you in tracking some of the parts down from various sites. It has worked for Manco parts in the past at least for me.

Edited to add: you beat me to it. Yes, you need just the shortest of throttle cables.
That is awesome, it looks like the same paint and every thing. Hopefully now that I have the seat coming I won't really need to order much else. I'm going to take a look at that manual and see if there is any helpful info on there. The brake pedal actually has a rod all the way to the brake shoe. It sticks a little so I need to see where it's bent and rubbing.

Hellion

Reaction score
The brake pedal actually has a rod all the way to the brake shoe. It sticks a little so I need to see where it's bent and rubbing.

Ken Bar Mfg. karts are the exact same way. The throttle rod has a coil spring around it to act as the return spring but the springiness of the band brake acts as its own return spring, usually, but a dedicated return spring might help.