Given A Manco

Status
Not open for further replies.

kendelrk

redneck engineer
Reaction score
what you do is take the carb apart fully and leave all rubber peices aside, put in a tall pot of lemon juice and boil for 30 minutes, Warning: it will smell terrible. now take it out and flush it with something like wd-40/water so it dosent turn dull, then set it down on some paper towel and dry it off, look and make sure you can see through the main jet and such, and make sure everythings good, i let mine sit overnight just to make sure it was dried out, hook it back up and hook up your gas line, make sure gas is flowing and everything is good, and then pull and see what you get. i recommend going to a mower shop and asking for a carb rebuild kit, there like 3 bucks and you get carb gaskets and a needle and such, they really help thesse carbs. ive been through thesse carbs 100 times, i cant remember the setup well, but ive dealt with them, also another peice of advice, if it still wont start hold the motor wide open and pull extrmeley hard 1-3 times, if it runs but wont run without any throttle, it could be a head gasket

Banditz

Reaction score
A can of carb spray is less than five bucks and will do the trick just fine. And not to bust your bubble but if it had been that frigging hard to get those bolts off then why not just loosen the bowl while it was attached to the engine and then clean it out that way? Plenty of times i have done just that and the carb worked great afterwards. You can get to the main jet, the bowl of course, and the lines can be blown out with compressed air or just a few hits of teh carb cleaner through the attached straw itself will in many cases fix all your problems.

Banditz

Reaction score
And I must be looking at something wrong here, but why not just remove the carb via those two nuts instead of the screws? With those even if they were frozen then just cut them and repace with new ones easy. No drilling required at all then. the little snout there as far as I know contains NO moving parts or anything else. IF it MUST be clean then a few shots of carb cleaner up into it while on the engine would have cleaned it up as well. A old toothbrush works wonder's on cleaning hard to reach areas like that one.

Blazkowiez

Kart Aficionado
Reaction score
Its a very specific size of Manco mini-bike we've had them in for repair throughout the years but we've yet to have one for sale. I'd pick it up if we did. Gone through several different bikes of different brands and styles but this one handles so well and is just the right size.

CaptCanadia

Reaction score
A can of carb spray is less than five bucks and will do the trick just fine. And not to bust your bubble but if it had been that frigging hard to get those bolts off then why not just loosen the bowl while it was attached to the engine and then clean it out that way? Plenty of times i have done just that and the carb worked great afterwards. You can get to the main jet, the bowl of course, and the lines can be blown out with compressed air or just a few hits of teh carb cleaner through the attached straw itself will in many cases fix all your problems.
I did take the bowl and everything out and gave it a good clean real fast and tried it and it didn't work so I wanted to thoroughly clean it this time.

And I must be looking at something wrong here, but why not just remove the carb via those two nuts instead of the screws? With those even if they were frozen then just cut them and repace with new ones easy. No drilling required at all then. the little snout there as far as I know contains NO moving parts or anything else. IF it MUST be clean then a few shots of carb cleaner up into it while on the engine would have cleaned it up as well. A old toothbrush works wonder's on cleaning hard to reach areas like that one.
There was no room to get anything in there except some needle nose pliers. That sucker was on there.

Its a very specific size of Manco mini-bike we've had them in for repair throughout the years but we've yet to have one for sale. I'd pick it up if we did. Gone through several different bikes of different brands and styles but this one handles so well and is just the right size.
Yeah, normally I have bad luck with finding good stuff, but this one was sitting on my front door when I got home. Went to the neighbor and I asked him whats up, he said fix it and keep it im tired of looking at it. SWEET!

EDIT: Out of all the bikes I've seen I LOVE bluethunders baja warrior.. at least I think that is his bike..it really has an amazing look to it and it looks really well built like it could drive off a cliff and then drive away..I'd love to get one of those in the future if I can find the right deal.

kendelrk

redneck engineer
Reaction score
I did take the bowl and everything out and gave it a good clean real fast and tried it and it didn't work so I wanted to thoroughly clean it this time.

There was no room to get anything in there except some needle nose pliers. That sucker was on there.

Yeah, normally I have bad luck with finding good stuff, but this one was sitting on my front door when I got home. Went to the neighbor and I asked him whats up, he said fix it and keep it im tired of looking at it. SWEET!

EDIT: Out of all the bikes I've seen I LOVE bluethunders baja warrior.. at least I think that is his bike..it really has an amazing look to it and it looks really well built like it could drive off a cliff and then drive away..I'd love to get one of those in the future if I can find the right deal.

I have both a manco and a baja. the manco is alot smaller and less comfortable than the baja is. the manco could go way faster with a 5hp briggs than the baja could go stock, and they only go about 20mph. either way the baja's are comfortable and very fun to ride. Im already missing mine due to a cracked motor mount. cant wait to get that fixed and a torque converter. but the manco has been with me since i was like 10-11. if i found a mini bike on my porch id go crazy and be working on it the minute i was told i could. are you cleaning that carb yet?

EDIT: when you get it all back together and its running, i think you should buy an inline fuel filter, and your main jet is actually the bolt from the bottom of the bowl. also theres a tiny hole near the end of the main jet, make sure to get it with a small peice of wire from a wire brush

CaptCanadia

Reaction score
I have both a manco and a baja. the manco is alot smaller and less comfortable than the baja is. the manco could go way faster with a 5hp briggs than the baja could go stock, and they only go about 20mph. either way the baja's are comfortable and very fun to ride. Im already missing mine due to a cracked motor mount. cant wait to get that fixed and a torque converter. but the manco has been with me since i was like 10-11. if i found a mini bike on my porch id go crazy and be working on it the minute i was told i could. are you cleaning that carb yet?

EDIT: when you get it all back together and its running, i think you should buy an inline fuel filter, and your main jet is actually the bolt from the bottom of the bowl. also theres a tiny hole near the end of the main jet, make sure to get it with a small peice of wire from a wire brush

It does have a fuel filter. Well get that mount welded up and get back out there.
I put everything together put new fuel and oil in. I pulled it like 500 million times choke, no choke, no throttle, full throttle nothing. When the choke valve is closed all the way and the throttle full it makes a loud sucking noise. It just will not start though, is there any way I can give it a jump start with starter fluid or something?

kendelrk

redneck engineer
Reaction score
you can try putting a teaspoon of fuel down the cylinder and see what happens, might have to pull more than once tho. and then try the same with the carb, if both work then your not getting fuel, if it only starts with gas through the cylinder its your carb, and if it starts neither way, you could have a blown out head gasket, i know it sounds stupid to do but even tho weve cleaned enough carbs, every carb is diffrent, watch a video on how to clean it. and you say a sucking noise, now heres a question, is intake gasket intact? and when you took out the manifold screws, theres a long one, and a shorter one, did you make sure that the longer one was on the bottom? if not you could have an intact leak and be sucking air. also i have to wait until christmas because im going to get it professionally welded so it dosent come apart again, cant wait to get it back out, but the only problem right now is theres no snow on the ground and its only a few days till christmas

CaptCanadia

Reaction score
Well there is no air filter on it...but it should start without one right?

And yes I took note of the screws and put them back the same.

EDIT: Well now you know how I feel every year. Coming from Canada I love the snow in the winter, but now that I live in SoCal it is RARE if we get a snow sprinkle so it never really feels like Christmas anymore since it's all dirt! Atleast it's fun for riding!

kendelrk

redneck engineer
Reaction score
its a good thing to start it without the air filter, they can clog up the carb and make it not start. and thats a good thing, any rips in your intake gasket? leaking any gas? did you try taking the head off? if you come to the point to take the head off, look at where the bolts go through, if your head gasket is blown what happens is when the combustion chamber well, combusts it looses all the compression out of the side and the motor doesnt run, with a lightly blown gasket you can help gain the compression with extra throttle, but if its to bad it wont start period,

CaptCanadia

Reaction score
Wow I walked back out to check and the gas tank and fuel line are just dripping gas..he did a tape job on the tank but it just melted and now it's all leaky. Looks like I need a new tank and fuel line...

CaptCanadia

Reaction score
You have no idea how much I hate Tecumseh and this just make me hate them more..Briggs and Honda all the way. I can probably get fuel line at any hardware store, but were can I get a new tank?

Who the F makes a tank out of plastic?? Why couldn't they just make a metal tank!

kendelrk

redneck engineer
Reaction score
lol, i had come to hate tecumseh, but i learned that they can give off real power, and manco lol. why not pic up like a tecumseh bolt on tank from something else? not orignal but hey, i used the one on my briggs flathead and the one on my clone after i broke my plastic tank

CaptCanadia

Reaction score
I'll have to find something..maybe I can just use a carton or something for now? Also, I put gas in the spark plug hole to see if it would fire..It did nothing..but the gas line wasn't attached to the carb. Is this bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.