Given A Manco

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptCanadia

Reaction score
A few days ago my neighbor came over and gave me his minibike. He said it just needed a carb cleaning and it'd be good. I took all the guards and the exhaust off to get to it and now I cant get the two screws that hold the carb on. I have next to no experience with this so I need some help. The two screws are on there so **** tight the wrench just slips when I try to loosen them and there isn't even enough room to fit a small torque wrench to get em off. There are two screws that hold on a tube that link the carb to the engine, but they are also so tight I can't get them to budge. Also, there is a tube that goes into the carb. It is metal and has what I think is insulation tubing around it? I have no idea how to get that off either or what it is even for. If I could get any ideas that'd be great. Thanks!

Oh and it's nice to be back! :D

CaptCanadia

Reaction score

kendelrk

redneck engineer
Reaction score
manco thunderbird, i have one. if you notice there are 2 sets of screws there, make sure to have one on the other side. the hose is for the breather on that tecumseh the model should be h35. you can get to alot more by taking not just the carb off, but the extension on it also so you have more room to work with it off, remember the carb settings and governor rod placment.its pertty boring with that motor, a 5hp briggs ungoverned will be a major upgrade

Russ2251

AZUSA:Powered by LAWN-BOY
Reaction score
To remove 2 phillips screws, rap end of screwdriver with a small hammer as you are trying to unscrew. The idea is to send through a shock wave to aid in breaking screws free.
Screws should never be that tight. Flange is probably warped as a result of over tightening.

CaptCanadia

Reaction score
You know your stuff that's all right :) For now I'm gonna leave it unmodded because I've only ridden a dirt bike a few times so I'm not a good bike rider to put it nicely. Those screws on the carb extension will not move with a hand screwdriver. Should I use a drill..if it will even fit...?

CaptCanadia

Reaction score
To remove 2 phillips screws, rap end of screwdriver with a small hammer as you are trying to unscrew. The idea is to send through a shock wave to aid in breaking screws free.
Screws should never be that tight. Flange is probably warped as a result of over tightening.

Alright I'll give it a try, thanks for the advice!

CaptCanadia

Reaction score
It just will not move. I took the fender off to get more room and I've been wacking it with the hammer and putting so much torque into it it flips the bike. Any other ideas to get it off?

They are so tight on there is looks like the lock washers are being squished..

robbie

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, did you put gas in it and try to start it? I know the guy told you it needs to have the carburetor cleaned, but maybe he isn't an expert.

kendelrk

redneck engineer
Reaction score
it was pretty slow at around 15 mph, your gonna want more soon, they can be fun tho, i used a huge screwdriver and a big pair of vice grips for mine, but my grandma bought a whole new carb at 109$ so i got pretty lucky.i say use a drill or impact wrench even, whatever gets those out, make sure to get all new bolts, it will help you alot in the long run.

CaptCanadia

Reaction score
it was pretty slow at around 15 mph, your gonna want more soon, they can be fun tho, i used a huge screwdriver and a big pair of vice grips for mine, but my grandma bought a whole new carb at 109$ so i got pretty lucky.i say use a drill or impact wrench even, whatever gets those out, make sure to get all new bolts, it will help you alot in the long run.

15? That's it? Wow ok if I can handle a 250cc dirt bike that can hit like 70 that is pretty boring..

Russ2251

AZUSA:Powered by LAWN-BOY
Reaction score
I would suggest taking engine off bike and mounting to a bench to work on it at eye level. Use a #2 phillips.
If all else fails, use one of these:

Head of screw can always be drilled off.

CaptCanadia

Reaction score

Your vice grip and huge screwdriver idea worked! Thanks a lot guys !

CaptCanadia

Reaction score
Yeah no kidding. Maybe it just got jammed due to it being there so long? Anyways, now that I have it apart it is disgustingly dirty. There is rust on the inside and some weird build up and a lot of dirt. Does anyone know the best way to clean out a carb? I don't have carb cleaner...Also, I was going to take the jet and e-tube out, but when I looked at it it didn't have an unscrewable tube..like there is no line indent for a screwdriver to grip..

kendelrk

redneck engineer
Reaction score
lol. thats why i upgraded to my briggs, i was pretty good with the clone, but the chain never lined up right. and with a bigger motor, that ratio gives good speed and nice torque
edit: a nice thing of lemon and a stove and a loving mom makes everything good. but make sure not to put anything rubber in there

CaptCanadia

Reaction score
Okay I've got lemon juice...tell me how to do it if u don't mind! :p

EDIT: This is what I found.. Put carb in pure lemon juice and let boil for 30 mins. Then let carb sit in mixture over night. Is this right? And should I take it apart and put all the pieces in the juice?

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
I've run into that "phillips screw dead stuck" thing may times working on 1970's Japanese motorcycles. I had 1972 and 1973 Honda CB500's and a 1973 XL350. Ran into it a few other places too. Sometimes it is cause by a reaction between the steel bolt and aluminum hole. I have forgotten the name of the chemical reaction that takes place, but it is a known phenomenon. EDIT- "Electro-Galvanic Reaction".

An impact driver is the preferred tool- you smack it with a hammer and it twists when you do so. Here's a pic-

Attachments

• 47641.jpg
    47641.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 2
Status
Not open for further replies.