Buying a old used karting

Status
Not open for further replies.

OzFab

Reaction score
Am I seeing those pics right? It appears there has been some "work" done on the right side, just in front of the spindle bracket, which may be the cause of the odd camber angle...

Miky

Reaction score
You are right, it seems the weld on the spindle bracket broke and someone just welded on the broken weld

Miky

Reaction score
I got a scooter clutch for free and I started to think how to use it on the engine for a gokart.
So first problem is that engine has a tapered shaft and second is engine running counter clockwise so I need to turn the inside part of the clutch. So I need to make a peace that is tapered so it can connect to the shaft and it needs to carry the clutch.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
cool, that's covered... (1800 would be ideal... I'd say the red is what you should try, the yellow ones might work but since that engine idles at ~1400... I'm not sure it can provide noteworthy torque at 1500 *shrugs*)

Aanyways, now you need an adapter to mount the clutch to the engine shaft.
(a guy with a lathe would come in handy here :D)

and of course the matching driven clutch and the belt...

'sid

PS that clutch is made for counterclockwise operation too.. no worries.
at least I haven't seen any gy6 clutch that doesn't turn ccw ;)
No need to turn around the inside it's fine the way it is.

Miky

Reaction score
Red springs you say, I will try ones on it and see how it works and it's not going to be belt driven, it will have a sprocket on the clutch drum, almost exactly like gokart clutch.
I didn't understand you about gearing, what gear ratio do you recommend, I have 11 tooth sprocket for the clutch.
Also I will make centrifugal clutch from which I can take off sprocket and put another one...

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
what? you want to weld a sprocket to a variator, loosing all it's potential and spending more on an adapter that needs to be made than you would buying a sprocket cent clutch?

that's not a good idea at all I'm afraid.

Anyways.. ratio.
fixed (cent clutch... if that variator modified or a common maxtorque isn't important)
you said you had 32 Teeth on the axle, correct?
assuming that kart came with a 2:1 wetclutch (which is common for karts like these)
likely a 9hp engine
a sprocket with 64 or 65 Teeth should be a proper size (yes, even with the 11T sprocket you want on your clutch)

that's what I meant saying "multiply by two" [32 T -> times two -> 64 T]

'sid

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
Red springs you say, I will try ones on it and see how it works and it's not going to be belt driven, it will have a sprocket on the clutch drum, almost exactly like gokart clutch.
I didn't understand you about gearing, what gear ratio do you recommend, I have 11 tooth sprocket for the clutch.
Also I will make centrifugal clutch from which I can take off sprocket and put another one...

It would be easier getting a centrifugal clutch. Trying to weld a sprocket on straight is going to be nearly impossible. If it is skew your chain will fall off constantly

Miky

Reaction score
My English is bad, I didn't mean to weld the sprocket, I will make a metal peace for it so I can disassemble and if it is necessary change sprocket on the cc.

Miky

Reaction score
So I can't found rear sprocket larger than 48 tooth. Is it possible to achieve gear ratio 6:1 with smaller sprockets with jackshaft, is there a way to calculate that, I suck at math.

OzFab

Reaction score
By the time you pay for a jackshaft kit & all the necessary pieces,, it would probably be cheaper to import a larger sprocket from USA... unless Alex (itsid) can find a "local" supplier...

Miky

Reaction score
Thanks karte_m0lim, I will give them a ring. About jackshaft, I ment small axle, two bearings and little sprocket on one side and bigger on other

OzFab

Reaction score
Yes, we know what a jackshaft is :lolgoku: All I'm saying is, if you can find a supplier (which karte_m0lim has now provided), you may not need a jackshaft...

Miky

Reaction score
So guys I need your help about clutch from scooter, shaft on the engine is tapered and it has threads on top so I thought I make a counter taper and threads in it so I can bolt it on the shaft. Then top of that tapered peace I need to put the clutch so it can be bolted down when it wears or breaks down. Clutch drum will have a 10 tooth sprocket that can be bolted down, only thing is how to make all that so it doesn't brake down on the first time I ride it.

OzFab

Reaction score
If you can make a piece that fits, that's the hardest part...

Once you've done that, the couner taper piece will need a keyway inside & out, on opposite sides (180° apart); inside to lock it to the engine shaft & outside to lock the clutch to the new piece...

Miky

Reaction score
I think tapered peace doesn't need keyway because it will be bolted to the shaft. Picture on the bottom shows how it will be putted together, clutch on the top of the counter tapered peace and bolted down, similar like on the first picture. My only problem is how to make clutch drum spin independent from all of it, maybe put small bearing so it can spin independent.

Attachments

• scooter-clutch-634064-2T.jpg
    scooter-clutch-634064-2T.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 51
  • Motorcycle-and-font-b-Scooter-b-font-font-b-Clutch-b-font-Assy-for-GY6-and.jpg
    Motorcycle-and-font-b-Scooter-b-font-font-b-Clutch-b-font-Assy-for-GY6-and.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 145mm-19t-cvt-clutch-bell-cn250-baja-250.jpg
    145mm-19t-cvt-clutch-bell-cn250-baja-250.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 4

Miky

Reaction score
Shaft have threads on top of it so I can bolt it

Attachments

• Tapered-Propeller-shaft.jpg
    Tapered-Propeller-shaft.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 4
Status