Building my special cart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
I think the HF wheels might actually serve you well on the rails. As you allude to, they won't be seeing the stresses that a normal go kart places on them on asphalt, gravel and dirt PLUS they will be running in a straight line, not turning.

I thought you would be using rail wheels or whatever they are called made of metal or plastic. I guess you will have a few in use to keep the kart on the rails?

I'm rather shocked I've been called brutal. It's always in good fun, at least that's the way it's intended.

Rail rider

Inmate # 3192016
Reaction score
What tire size? And how did you find the speed without that.....

They are the harbor freight 10 " tires. That inflate to 10.5. I used 10.25, I'm running a 10T clutch, 72T sprocket. 7.2 ratio.

---------- Post added at 12:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 AM ----------

I think the HF wheels might actually serve you well on the rails. As you allude to, they won't be seeing the stresses that a normal go kart places on them on asphalt, gravel and dirt PLUS they will be running in a straight line, not turning.

I thought you would be using rail wheels or whatever they are called made of metal or plastic. I guess you will have a few in use to keep the kart on the rails?

I'm rather shocked I've been called brutal. It's always in good fun, at least that's the way it's intended.

Those wheels at railrider dot com are like 1600.00 that's a lot of H. F tires. Correct all in good fun. we all may learn something out of this stupid project I'm doing. I'm going to weld disc on the hubs as the wheel flange to keep it on the track. The six tires and 7.2 ratio is to accommodate 4 adults, besides that 15 mph is plenty fast for a beach chair on unknown tracks... I'm going to take a few cans of fluorescent marking paint to make the ties 100' (braking time) up rail from the out of Gage track. I really have put a lot of thought into this.

---------- Post added at 01:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 AM ----------

So what the heck is it.....

It is a rail rider .. A go kart for train tracks.

Last edited:

pRoFiT

Can't buy it?, build it!
Reaction score
thanks i just watched hours of go kart train videos now :( i cant get that time back....

...now i want to find an open track near me. should be tons in California. i think old Clovis tracks are public. need to look into it now. call my train buddy in the morning and find out.

Rail rider

Inmate # 3192016
Reaction score
thanks i just watched hours of go kart train videos now :( i cant get that time back....

...now i want to find an open track near me. should be tons in California. i think old Clovis tracks are public. need to look into it now. call my train buddy in the morning and find out.
Sorry those Vids had that effect on me too.
Please call your friend and let me know what he said. I don't mind a drive to clovis

pRoFiT

Can't buy it?, build it!
Reaction score
Almost forgot. yah ill text him and see what he says. time to build a train kart. i have some disc brake/drums that would make great wheels! Like in this image. from wifes car (drums and discs in one...pain to replace)

Attachments

• brake_disc.jpg
    brake_disc.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 5

Jfive

Reaction score
I've thought of making one of these. If the rail is solid I'd do metal rims. Jointed rail, I'd do a rubber wheel but maybe a caster and add a lip. I work for BNSF as a Carman. I fix rail cars for a living. I have some knowledge of what would work. I even drive a 500,000.00 Titan moving cars we need to repair. Only go 8.3mph though on non solid rail. There is no rails near me to ride on or this would be a priority. Western Washington has one I've heard of though. I thought about trying to get some wheels from track maintained as they have all sorts of smaller wheel karts.

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
I see great potential for a Rail Kart Coyote Service, but how do we get the customers from Mexicali to Salton Sea? Maybe we start a Mini-Motorcycle Club to protect that route?

Since Chancer might be on Poboy's couch, we can house customers at his and his dad's place.

Who's in? LOL

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
Wrong Way Dude.
Not to Worry though there will be a Wall really soon here.
A great big Beautiful Wall.

pRoFiT

Can't buy it?, build it!
Reaction score
Im discouraged now. Friend said all the tracks around here that are shut down have had the tracks removed.... There is a lot of tracks in the mountains that may still be in.. I'll keep searching. Has to be something close.

supermanotorious

Winchmaster 5000
Reaction score
oh no! I have a septum piercing too lol, but I usually wear a retainer that most people cant even see

Rail Rider, what are you going to use for a transmission?

supermanotorious

Winchmaster 5000
Reaction score
also, I love that Rail Rider is fabbing his own wheels, but are there any suggestions for affordable, larger wheels, more specific to tracks?

Status
Not open for further replies.