Building my special cart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rail rider

Inmate # 3192016
Reaction score
---------- Post added at 11:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 PM ----------

[/COLOR]I'm in LA . , Yes that is the track. I'd like to run the carrizo gorge. And often think. Hey it's only a 150.00 fine. Well worth it to get to ride over the biggest curved wooden tressel in the world.. It got the nick name impossible railroad. For a reason and one of the tunnels is like A half mile long. But theres 18 of them. Just saying.

---------- Post added at 11:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
That really is a dream of mine, to ride the rails through "The impossible rail road"
Many Tunnels were closed intentionally in the 80s or 90s. A few years back they opened them all and ran trains to maintenance the tracks the full length from Campo's Rail museum all the way to I believe plaster city.
I do not know the current state of things. Plans to run tour trains were dreamt of but cancelled.

I have never really thought of doing one of these "Rail riders". I will have to give it some thought.
Definitely worth the $150.00 price of "Admission"
IF you get caught. and with the insane amount of Border Patrol surveillance we're sure to get caught. Meh.
[edit]
Well According to Wikipedia. It would be NOW or never. There are big plans to run Freight cars on these tracks from the Desert to San Diego.

---------- Post added at 11:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 PM ----------

[/COLOR
Wikipedia:
]June 9, 2016: Baja California Railroad subleases the Desert Line Railroad, cutting PIR out of most operations and repairs. The sublease terms require a $1 million or 7% of gross revenue annual payment (down from 15% in the previous lease) to MTS. The new lease terms also revised the schedule for line repairs, with a 10-mile stretch from Coyote Wells to Plaster City now slated to open by the end of 2017, with the section from the border to Coyote Wells to be repaired by April 15, 2018 and complete repairs by December 21, 2018.[9]

My Dads house is Yards From Coyote wells.

Rail rider

Inmate # 3192016
Reaction score
I love it 150.00 admission . I heard they are spending millions to rehab the tracks I could tail gate an east bound train to the gorge and wait out a west bound to return with . They limit the speed of the trains but it would suck so bad to meet an east bound when you headed west in the middle of that long tunnel. But they are going under 20 mph. They aren't running amtrac speeds ... Ever hear of the Tehachapi loop. 150.00 admission fee there too. But you can see a train coming a mile away. Plenty of time. they run slow there too.

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
I fully endorse this project! :thumbsup:

Love the idea of riding abandoned railways and have seen a few such videos on the 'Tub. I'm more fascinated by the slightly overgrown and buried rails too but these intrepid explorers get a kart-load of debris, weeds and seeds for their troubles.

Although the trend is to tear up old railways for scrap metal and turn the bed into a nature/hiking path, I hope there's also a trend in railway preservation.

You can adapt ordinary bicycles for rail use too.

Rail rider

Inmate # 3192016
Reaction score
I know about the bikes but, I'm older and out of shape not able to ride a bike 50 miles. Plus I want to take a few people with me. I've seen people build this in one seaters . I think that looks sad... Having a good time. but, no one to share it with. It's kinda like masterbaiting .

---------- Post added at 08:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 AM ----------

I fully endorse this project! :thumbsup:

Love the idea of riding abandoned railways and have seen a few such videos on the 'Tub. I'm more fascinated by the slightly overgrown and buried rails too but these intrepid explorers get a kart-load of debris, weeds and seeds for their troubles.

Although the trend is to tear up old railways for scrap metal and turn the bed into a nature/hiking path, I hope there's also a trend in railway preservation.

You can adapt ordinary bicycles for rail use too.

An endorsement from you!!! Thanks man, I've read a few comments you've made and you can be down right brutal .

Rail rider

Inmate # 3192016
Reaction score
I welded the bolts to back side of the hub.. So now they are like lug studs . the nuts are like lugs nuts now , when the guide discs are welded to the hub, I will lose access to the bolt heads.

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
I would say, Even just for riding the rails. Your choice of Tire and Wheel is about the least reliable tire on the market. Just not worth it.
But for 5 bucks each just bring several, several, spares.

Oh yeah and Hellion is actually a harmless blowhard!

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see if there is actually a use for those.
On an actual Go kart they last about 1 hr! No Kidding..
And on a Dolly (hand truck) they are completely worthless.

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
Well...since they fail at 5 mph...I wouldn't want to be trying to outrun a locomotive traveling at 20 mph....

As BbqJoe says: " Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug."

Rail rider

Inmate # 3192016
Reaction score
Worse case scenario... 20 miles up track.. And many flats. I just cut the rubber off and set the rims on the tracks metal to metal .
but, I want to use rubber for a quieter smooth ride.

---------- Post added at 03:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:24 PM ----------

Well...since they fail at 5 mph...I wouldn't want to be trying to outrun a locomotive traveling at 20 mph....

As BbqJoe says: " Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug."
I'm not planning on sitting on this thing and letting a train steam roll my ***.

---------- Post added at 03:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:27 PM ----------

By the way.. what kind of run time does a predator 212 get per tank.

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
Worse case scenario... 20 miles up track.. And many flats. I just cut the rubber off and set the rims on the tracks metal to metal .
but, I want to use rubber for a quieter smooth ride.

---------- Post added at 03:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:24 PM ----------

I'm not planning on sitting on this thing and letting a train steam roll my ***.

---------- Post added at 03:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:27 PM ----------

By the way.. what kind of run time does a predator 212 get per tank.

Evil Knievel planned on jumping the fountain at Ceasars Palace successfully.

Just sayin'

Rail rider

Inmate # 3192016
Reaction score
Evil knievil made every jump he had planned. He did jump the ⛲. it was always the landings that gave him the problems. He over thought the jump .. when he should have put more thought into the landings. Just saying.

---------- Post added at 08:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 PM ----------

Mileage depends entirely upon what its used for and how......
H.F. predator 212 W. F. O for 51 miles.with a 7.2 ratio that gets up to a lightning fast speed of 15ish. mph. With no more then a 1.5 percent grade.

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
Evil knievil made every jump he had planned. He did jump the ⛲. it was always the landings that gave him the problems. He over thought the jump .. when he should have put more thought into the landings. Just saying.

---------- Post added at 08:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 PM ----------

H.F. predator 212 W. F. O for 51 miles.with a 7.2 ratio that gets up to a lightning fast speed of 15ish. mph. With no more then a 1.5 percent grade.

REALLY???? Wise guy? Maybe he attempted them...but would you care to explain how he EVEN CAME CLOSE to the Canyon Jump????? No problem with the landing there....nowhere close to making the jump....don't even try to mess with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.