2019 - Ultimate Yard Kart

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Fresh Rubber!!

A fresh set of 4 Carlisle 410/5 tires arrived! It'll probably be few months until I actually get around to replacing the tires, since I want to replace all 4 at once, and to do that I need to save up for 2 split rims, a hub, and 2 tubes(probably 4 just for good measure).
They look great! I still intend on white-lettering them.
They're technically tubeless, as per what it ways on the sidewall, but there's nothing stopping me from stuffing tubes in them anyway.
It looks like the actual tread width is slightly narrower than the OEM Cheng Shins, but ya know, that just makes for easier drifting. :D:D

Am I weird to love the smell of fresh rubber??:roflol:

Attachments

• 20200109_141631.jpg
    20200109_141631.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 27

Budget GoKart

Aka a kenbar
Reaction score
I have some goobered up 5inch steelies if you want them for the back they have been drilled out like three times but they hold air and have decent tires ill send em to you for few bucks to cover shipping if you want them if not im throwing them on my manco

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
That's Ok, thanks for the offer! Even though this is by no means an aesthetically perfect kart, I'd like for the wheels to look decent. Rims really aren't that expensive.

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Ok, I just replaced both mixture needles in the carburetor today to see if I could get it to run more consistently. It still acts up about the same as before. I'm sure the tuning is off, but at this point I'm thinking the coil is going bad and only adding to the problem. This coming week I'll swap it out for the spare one Randy H sent me, to see if that cures it.

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Took it out for another spin today!
The needles helped make it easier to adjust and cut down on the leaks, so that's always a plus.
At one point on takeoff(with a little dirt and stuff on the pavement, it spun the drive wheel like mad!! I think it threw rooster tails, but I was GONE before I could see it. It was epic. :cool:

I also determined that the carburetor has a small vacuum leak around the throttle shaft. It's real small, but it's enough to make the engine run erratically. I think it's the root of my problems, the coil is probably fine. Thankfully this Flo-Jet has the replaceable bushings, so I'll look into that. :wai:

Smerft85

Reaction score
Wife said your seat looks super comfy, good to hear you are getting the bugs worked out, I never have much doubt when you set your mind to fixing a small engine.

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
:D It is really comfy. It adds a sort of "springy" effect when I ride, so it's nice going over the bumps! :lolgoku: I still need to make a better looking upholstered seat bottom.
I actually just ordered a fresh throttle shaft and bushings, so that should make this thing actually RELIABLE. It's been essentially a straight year of nonstop problems!:ack2:
I'm just glad I can keep this engine on the road.:auto:

Budget GoKart

Aka a kenbar
Reaction score
CONGRATS You deserved it you worked so hard on your build now you can brag that your go kart won a competition now i kinda wish i woulda entered my ken bar lol

Dingocat

Broke
Reaction score
Congrats on the win! Those bushings should make it seem like a whole new engine. Atleast tuning wise.

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Victory, Stickerification, and GLAM PICS!!

I finally added a DIYGK sticker to the blower housing! :cool:
BTW - The 34 year old Briggs powdercoating is still good enough for me to use STEEL WOOL on and it only makes it look better! That's what I'm talking about!

I also added some stickers from Matt(a.k.a skulldrinker). Thanks man! I still have yet to add the Bird Engineering logo floorpan sticker.

To celebrate winning the Build Off I did some dramatic low light "spotlight" glamor pics! They turned out great with the High Dynamic Range setting on the camera! :2guns:

Cheers to all the 2019 Builders!!:cheers2:

Attachments

• 20200120_182427.jpg
    20200120_182427.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 20200120_182454.jpg
    20200120_182454.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 20200120_184131.jpg
    20200120_184131.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 20200120_184205.jpg
    20200120_184205.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 12

gegcorp2012

Reaction score
I like how the DIYGK logo is a close match to the color of the Briggs.

Be aware that the ink on the sticker will fade if it gets dirty and scrubbed repeatedly, so take it easy with the steel wool or that vintage look will be on your sticker in no time.

Congrats on the win for 2019 !

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Haha! I didn't even notice the similar colors! I love that this Briggs is bright orange! Kinda reminiscent of a Max Wedge/Hemi Mopar(kinda painful for me as I love Ford, and I know there are a few blue flatheads out there, but oh well). Orange goes well with black, and the bright orange color is nice and attention grabbing, so there's that.

I'll keep it clean for sure(it's not like the 1WD will let me go much off road, I once got stuck in the damp BACK YARD! :roflol:).

I made sure to use the steel wool before I put the sticker on. I also tried clearcoating the blower housing to preserve it, but the clearcoat didn't set right and made a weird, white, flaky finish, so I used the steel wool to remove that. Although I plan to thoroughly wire wheel/clearcoat the INSIDE of the blower housing, as it's a bit rusty in there.

gegcorp2012

Reaction score
I'll keep it clean for sure(it's not like the 1WD will let me go much off road, I once got stuck in the damp BACK YARD! :roflol:).

Still a 1 tire fryer ? I thought you were doing a live axle conversion as part of your build from your first few posts (?)

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Well, I originally was, but then when I realized how rare this kart is and how fun 1WD actually is(wheelspin!), I elected to keep the one wheel peel setup. Plus it's less expensive.

I am thinking about a new dead axle though, since the old one is all bent from the PO shoehorning massive 13x5-6 tires on there, but IDK.

J.S.@SMS

Road Hazard
Reaction score
Yeah 1wd is fun (they'll drift for days off road, and peelouts). Though I have a set of 22x11-10 carlisles on one of my karts. Those tires are massive.