2016 - Arachnid

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexV

Reaction score
Day 7:
Best news of all, the engine DOES fit. With the sprockets and chain I realized the engine should go way back.

Attachments

• zhJmmcr.jpg
    zhJmmcr.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 55
  • OOoSvN4.jpg
    OOoSvN4.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 41
  • xdvakRc.jpg
    xdvakRc.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 53
  • 7R5s0lt.jpg
    7R5s0lt.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 42
  • CK7b4VS.jpg
    CK7b4VS.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 47
  • btoURlf.jpg
    btoURlf.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 45

alexV

Reaction score
Previously I had negative remarks about this design, and I wish to re-evaluate that. The Arachnid design is not "wrong" so far, although dad still disagrees. Furthermore, I think it looks great, which is the reason I paid for it in the first place. Any tech issue along the way are welcomed :) I still have the front suspension part to tackle.

alexV

Reaction score
Lastly, a close-up of the sprocket and hubs; the other red hub is for the brake disc. They're from Ebay from outside the country, very light aluminium, and somewhat expensive. The 60 links chain is too short.

The rest of the day I did rewelds and other small touch-ups. Getting ready to set up the rear suspension and the seat.

Attachments

• 3GvLHRe.jpg
    3GvLHRe.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 26
  • T4MOJ6U.jpg
    T4MOJ6U.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 24

Desertduler

Reaction score
Previously I had negative remarks about this design, and I wish to re-evaluate that. The Arachnid design is not "wrong" so far, although dad still disagrees. Furthermore, I think it looks great, which is the reason I paid for it in the first place. Any tech issue along the way are welcomed :) I still have the front suspension part to tackle.
Looking great Alex! my only concern is what I stated before is about the rear pivot points not having enough bearing surface or bearing material at that location,but you said that you were going to fix that.

alexV

Reaction score
Thank you!

Still need the rear hubs. If anyone can help with plans, or actual hubs, or an idea, I would very much appreciate it :)

alexV

Reaction score
Looking great Alex! my only concern is what I stated before is about the rear pivot points not having enough bearing surface or bearing material at that location,but you said that you were going to fix that.

After I get it rolling, yes :lolgoku:
For now I replaced the fully threaded bolts with partial threaded.

alexV

Reaction score
What battery should I fit?

They're all 12V slim type, and I need enough Amps to turn the engine. Ranging between 4A and 12A, how many Amps is good enough?

alexV

Reaction score
Good find, thanks!
Keep in mind that Ampere-hour (Ah) is a measure of capacity, like you see on your phone battery. Naturally a bulkier battery has a bigger capacity.

The energy delivered, on the other hand, is a product of instant voltage and instant intensity. Since the voltage is 12V constant, the question is how many Amps (A) are needed to get enough energy to turn the engine. :cool:

The practical approach: go to a moped shop, see which battery can start my engine, order one :)

alexV

Reaction score
Day 8, a day of learning :)

Two tasks were done: fitting the seat, sort of.... And reconditioning the suspension, well sort of..
Check the pics :lolgoku:

In one day I managed to fit three out of four screws; I complained awhile back about the seat

Attachments

• eCdzaa0.jpg
    eCdzaa0.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 36
  • JdrRq5a.jpg
    JdrRq5a.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 36
  • UIIi7Zh.jpg
    UIIi7Zh.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 35
  • g3sVPuW.jpg
    g3sVPuW.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 36
  • h1fvIC6.jpg
    h1fvIC6.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 34
  • dOlOtoi.jpg
    dOlOtoi.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 37
  • 1fnN8hp.jpg
    1fnN8hp.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 34
  • fStdhYS.jpg
    fStdhYS.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 56

alexV

Reaction score
On to suspension: Drilled the side of the shock, took out the old used oil. In the second pic, that was all the oil :) Replaced it, then tried to weld up the hole. Not a chance in the world, just burned a larger hole ... :oops:

A different approach was needed. With some effort - as seen in the youtube vid - we unscrewed the other shock, and drilled the top. A way better and successful approach. Drilling was still req'd, but a gasket and teflon tape dit the job and reseal the shock. :stir:

The front suspension was good, just cleaned and repainted the coil springs. Now I have three good ones, and a problem:roflol:

Attachments

• CKEzhzj.jpg
    CKEzhzj.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 26
  • aNzIRY5.jpg
    aNzIRY5.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 25
  • bjB9L2T.jpg
    bjB9L2T.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 26
  • UG3Qv5m.jpg
    UG3Qv5m.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 28
  • k3CUJvS.jpg
    k3CUJvS.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 27
  • BwGUMEj.jpg
    BwGUMEj.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 27
  • A92m6OV.jpg
    A92m6OV.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 27
  • WbN51OQ.jpg
    WbN51OQ.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 28

johnsonr81

Reaction score
Great looking kart man! I really thought about going with the Arachnid when I was looking for one to build. Decided to go with the Granddaddy though so I could ride around with my son. Good luck on the rest of your build!

alexV

Reaction score
Days 9, 10 and 11, a few hours work in total.

First, I fixed the rear suspension using a plastic pipe, teflon tape and some kind of strong glue. Now I realized I can mock-up the back of this kart, so I did:auto: I'm very pleased with it so far. At this stage, there are little things which take alot of time. For example: making brackets out of angle iron, and many others.

Next I started on the A-arms. I cut the wide angles with the chop saw like you see in the pictures. Next I welded the arms. The bushings on the arms were made in a lathe. It's best to befriend someone with a lathe when you work on a go-kart :lolgoku:

Attachments

• bVBc74p.jpg
    bVBc74p.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 26
  • N8GRunT.jpg
    N8GRunT.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 62CSjII.jpg
    62CSjII.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 24
  • SCThtLw.jpg
    SCThtLw.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 25
  • OHH1W0y.jpg
    OHH1W0y.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 29
  • dWPcP4J.jpg
    dWPcP4J.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 31
  • fcO5rDr.jpg
    fcO5rDr.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 24
  • VGZRb8O.jpg
    VGZRb8O.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 23
  • mjco3eN.jpg
    mjco3eN.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 29

alexV

Reaction score
Almost all the parts are here. I would like to thank my friend Mihai, who delivered the brand new 8.5 inch steering rack from the US ;)

Other parts include a second hand hydraulic brake system (pump, caliper, disc, hydraulic line), steering rods, U-joint, heim joints. Of course, almost none of them are a good fit: imperial vs metric units, motorcycle disc with kart hub, so on :)

My impression is the progress kind of slows down when you near the finish.

Next is the front end, so hopefully I can see this thing rolling within a month (if I can get a couple of rear hubs)

Cheers!:cheers2:

Attachments

• 4rbTLM0.jpg
    4rbTLM0.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 25
  • bECr7D7.jpg
    bECr7D7.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 24
  • B6Ih1Pq.jpg
    B6Ih1Pq.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 23
  • iV4URNd.jpg