2016 - Arachnid

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexV

Reaction score
I've spent two extended weekends working on the kart, managed to get 2 more people to help :)

- engine, transmission, gas pedal, electrics, paint and orange spinning light are done
- to do: install brake line and fluid, steering column and steering rods

First some pictures

Attachments

• OjErOga.jpg
    OjErOga.jpg
    349.6 KB · Views: 51
  • VlOQRrb.jpg
    VlOQRrb.jpg
    324 KB · Views: 54
  • KCryOIN.jpg
    KCryOIN.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 52
  • MEn9x9w.jpg
    MEn9x9w.jpg
    334.5 KB · Views: 50
  • gvfWGY8.jpg
    gvfWGY8.jpg
    383.6 KB · Views: 57
  • TQamC9M.jpg
    TQamC9M.jpg
    366.5 KB · Views: 60
  • mFHfMOa.jpg
    mFHfMOa.jpg
    274.4 KB · Views: 57
  • GVER3jw.jpg
    GVER3jw.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 45
  • tGGbyD6.jpg
    tGGbyD6.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 47
  • JJLPgPI.jpg
    JJLPgPI.jpg
    312.8 KB · Views: 52

OzFab

Reaction score
I would think brakes & steering are more important than piant; a nice paint job may get you an extra vote or two but, without brakes & steering, you're not even in the race...

alexV

Reaction score
Here is the clutch again. And it's quite heavy duty. It's layered: two clutch discs sandwitched between three friction discs makes for a total of six friction surfaces. With oil inside too, for cooling and durability.

I found a good thing about Honda original parts: there are manuals available online, with all the possible specs :)

For example, the idle rev of the engine is 1400 rpm. The clutch starts to engage at 1800 rpm. It's fully locked at 2100. Cool stuff.

Once the project is finished later this month I will post some of the challenges faced, what is truly awesome about the kart and what are the weak points.

Attachments

• iV4URNd.jpg
    iV4URNd.jpg
    322.8 KB · Views: 21

alexV

Reaction score
I can see rear brakes in the last pic? Alexv, are they connected?

just the brake line is missing. brake disc, caliper, hidraulic pump and pedal are all fitted.

i also have the steering wheel (a great find from a local craigslist) but need a steering column. the tie rods need a bit of work to match the american steering rack with non-standard imperial units :lolgoku:

alexV

Reaction score

Attachments

• XBlhBsa.jpg
    XBlhBsa.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 55
  • lmJmfPL.jpg
    lmJmfPL.jpg
    401.2 KB · Views: 43
  • zS8kMob.jpg
    zS8kMob.jpg
    294.6 KB · Views: 45
  • iCWOxUX.jpg
    iCWOxUX.jpg
    315.7 KB · Views: 41
  • u54p1LJ.jpg
    u54p1LJ.jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 44

alexV

Reaction score
Definitely have to take it to the back roads for a run. It's so awesome :D

Thank you fabroman and landuse for the advices. The 7.2:1 gear ratio is the sweet spot for this kart. My initial idea of 6:1 may not have moved the kart from a standstill on a slight slope.

A lot (A LOT) of research effort was spent for bump-steering. In practice if your wheels look parallel to each other and perpendicular to the ground then this is very good. Forget about how suspension travel changes the geometry for this kind of project

Yes, I need to use a proper throttle line instead of my improv, the break pump is leaking, the engine I suspect can run better, doesn't really matter now :D

The project was slightly under the budget of 6000 lei (~1500 USD) The most expensive part was the engine, sourced locally for 1300 lei (~300 USD) followed by the axle, clutch and steering rack, all imported. Fun fact: nuts&bolts cost me 150% of what I spent on the steel.

I will post another video when we go for a real test run. This is just for meeting deadline.
Cheers!
Alex

OzFab

Reaction score
AWESOME! Great work :thumbsup:

Fun fact: A vid of the kart moving under its own power, turning & stopping & the engine being shut down from the drivers seat will also help you qualify :) Even if it's just around your yard, try to get that up before or soon after the deadline

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
Nice work Alex!! I really like this kart. So many people who start the arachnid never finish. It is one of the more difficult karts to make, and you did a great job in completing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.