2016 - Arachnid

Status
Not open for further replies.

OzFab

Reaction score

GIS

Reaction score
Good job Alex

Congratulations Alex, amazing job, it looks really good!

:thumbsup:

alexV

Reaction score
So after a few days of offroad testing I decided to change the ration from 7:1 to 8.7:1 (that is 11 teeth and 48 teeth, combined with the 2:1 reduction from the clutch) this is way better even though the top speed is below 40Km/h

I have also replaced the old brake pump with a brand new one.

karte_m0lim

Birds Aren't Real
Reaction score
What is with that honda wet clutch?

I had same issue, if you can call it issue, with that clutch on my kart , I also at the end used similar ratio with top speed of only 30km/h

Even with that, it become really hot.

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
So after a few days of offroad testing I decided to change the ration from 7:1 to 8.7:1 (that is 11 teeth and 48 teeth, combined with the 2:1 reduction from the clutch) this is way better even though the top speed is below 40Km/h

I have also replaced the old brake pump with a brand new one.

I am sure that you are having more fun with the lower ratio

alexV

Reaction score
you, sir, are dman right :D

https://youtu.be/pvaglJ9D8r4

after 1 fuel tank in the conditions above, the clutch case fizzles like bacon in the frying pan :)) i put some snow on it.

What would you do for more fun? remove the governor or get a bigger engine?

i have the 270cc and was looking at the 390cc. i can exchange the engine for about the same price, but need to spend on a new clutch. removing the governor is free but my overjoyed friends may blow the engine.

alexV

Reaction score
latest adventures

and then this happened...

the right spindle broke off, after about 3 fuel tanks of riding. no injuries or anything.

it happened at full throttle, and a sudden sharp right turn (power slide) on rough surface. the damage is only the spindle, to be replaced relatively cheap.

there are two main causes: 1) the spindle was rattling on the kingpin all the time. the spindle was designed for two, tappered screw, ball joints attachments to the arms, but I drilled out the spindle holes to fit a 16 mm kingpin instead. this lead to a small gap <0.5mm, without any type of bushing, between the kingpin and spindle holes. cause 2) no ackerman steering means the inside wheel always grips more during a turn.

eventually it broke. the tear is not uniform: there is a strip of smooth tear, then a strip of rough tear in the middle, and then smooth tear again. this could imply the spindle cracked sometimes befor it finally broke off completely.

Attachments

• 8YjBoS1.jpg
    8YjBoS1.jpg
    321.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 8Mmof0T.jpg
    8Mmof0T.jpg
    322.8 KB · Views: 31
  • qOTMMWZ.jpg
    qOTMMWZ.jpg
    290.7 KB · Views: 34

alexV

Reaction score
i'm surprised how well the pivot points between front and back of the kart are holding. probably because they are spaced wide apart and there are teflon bushings in there. in offroad conditions the kart was often on three wheels.

Status
Not open for further replies.