2015 - "Alumaflyer"

Status
Not open for further replies.

slidewayz

Reaction score
Thanks Dirty Damage!

Ok, so seems like a got a bunch done over the past few days.
Routed out the last of the aluminum parts I needed, after a redesign of a bunch of them.
Finally got the steering all figured out, and finished up all the steel welding that will be needed. Steering column is all done, and I painted all that stuff and started installing it using the final hardware of button head allen bolts and nylocks. I also routed a new seat back....muchhhhh better!!!
I originally was going to paint all the steel in a contrasting color (red since the red will be one of the striping colors) but then at the last minute I changed my mind, and decided to paint all of it up with some Rustoleum Aluminum. I liked the result.

The ackerman looks pretty darn good to me. I ended up not being able to use the pitman arms that came with the column, they were too short and really screwed up the alignment of the tie rods.

Here are a few shots from the end of todays work.

And....for those that were curious about my idea about flipping the front spindles, here is the result of that. The process was just unhooking the tie rods, and pulling the spindle bolts. Swapping the spindle/wheel assembly side for side and reconnecting everything all up. I did modify the spindle steering arm so they are now at 90 degrees to the spindle bolt (king pin). Front ride height went from 1.5" to 2'5", and is now the same as the back, it took all the rake out of the chassis.

Tomorrow is the front and rear bumpers and starting to weld up the new pedals.

Thanks for looking in, I see the light at the end of the tunnel now.....the grandson will be here in one week....big push.

Desertduler

Reaction score
Fantastic job that you have done! This is one cool ride! I like the fact that you used the aluminum color for your steel parts to go along with the rest of the aluminium construction of the kart,that little engine fits just right on the back of the kart,your grandson is one lucky little fella!

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
Slidewayz: You have done a fantastic job and definitely a contender for top prize.....

But....lets get back to whats important...it's what the kids will remember 30years from now.....it's the snippets of "hands on"....(even it's driving a kart vs. Mario doing it for you)....

So....that's the real prize....and you will definitely win...(in that department) ...and you are definitely a contender in the swimsuit category....:lolgoku:

slidewayz

Reaction score
Poboy, you dont know how much I am hoping that you are making a true prediction....about the grand kids anyway....I wont even touch the swimsuit comment...lolol

Actually my grandson and I usually build a plastic model together every year, and I usually set aside a few things on the roadster we can do together. Well this year I intend to "build" the go-kart with him. My plan is to have the kart disassembled in the garage, all laid out and tell him we will build it together then go out and ride it. This way he get some hands on wrenching and hopefully in the process, learn how a few things on the kart work. We shall see, hopefully he will be open to it.

Some done today, not as much as I had hoped, as I had forgotten today was the stockcar race at Indy.....nice job done by KB, btw.
Still havent gotten to the bumpers like I had hoped.
But here is the first view of the underside....very F-1/Indy-esque.

The seat pan area is all done and ready for me to start making patterns for the upholstery.

And with the seat done, I was able to build the engine swing mount front support. It came out a bit taller than I had hoped, the engine is not quite level. If it becomes a real issue, I will just make another support, that is about 1/2" shorter. The front of the engine mount is mounted on rubber cushions.

And a view I hadnt photographed yet.

As it sits right now, by turning the front wheels it unloads the inside rear wheel, exactly what I was hoping for and I have yet to add how much the bumpers will stiffen the chassis. Very happy with that, as that was a huge unknown with how the chassis will behave being made from aluminum.

Thanks for all the great comments....very busy week and Saturday ahead.

slidewayz

Reaction score
DD, I failed to thank you properly in my previous post, so thank you very much. I am glad you agree with the aluminum paint, you have a great eye for detail. And Landuse, thank you for the compliment....the support and comments I have gotten here have really kept me striving to do even better on my build.

Ok, so tonight in a moment of bravery, I decided to finally tackle the bumpers. I have been dreading bending them up for fear of ruining them and having to route out new ones for the third time (the first time just the size of them was way off, they were completely unusable. I have yet to weld them in place, so they are just wedged in for now.

Rear bumper

And the front....I also went ahead an sort of mocked up where the pedals will be placed, they have yet to be welded together as well.

Thanks guys for looking in!!!!!

slidewayz

Reaction score
First trial one completed!!!!!

With the grandson here in less than 24 hours I am really sweating if I will be done or not. Looks like a possible all nighter for me, as I still have the seat cover to sew up, the Nassau panel to fabricate and put a kill switch in the steering wheel.

Today met with several obstacles, mainly my geometry was not good on the pedals, so I had to kinda butcher up my front bumper so I could get the control rods up high enough on the pedals. Not at all happy about that, up to that point everything fit so good inside the chassis side rails. Dont know if I can improve upon that in the future, but I will certainly be thinking about it. The lil 79cc Predator fired up on the first pull, and seems to run pretty good. It actually hauled my butt up and down the street, and even up a slight incline, never lost any speed. Not the fastest thing in the world but I was happy it moved me along. Brakes worked great, and even though I wasnt going real fast the kart absolutely turned on a dime, even with the live axle. I weighed the complete kart minus the engine, and it comes in at 77 lbs....My Rupp minus the engine was 86 lbs. I still intend on building a second chassis out of .063" so that is nearly 1/3 of the weight removed for a good portion of the chassis.

Sorry no vid yet, hope to have one in a few days with the grandson as my official completion video.

Thanks again guys!!!

Desertduler

Reaction score
Very cool Slide! it reminds me of an unpainted WW2 aircraft,they did not paint some of them as to save weight. I love the matching chain guard too! :thumbsup:

slidewayz

Reaction score
Thanks guys!!!!
Up very late, but managed to get done, the seat back and bottom upholstery. I dont think I have enough foam pad to do the sides right now.

And now how it looks.....a giant model kit.....the grandson is very excited.

slidewayz

Reaction score
....stay tuned more to come....

Attachments

• IMG_20150804_184938369_zpssw53xk57.jpg
    IMG_20150804_184938369_zpssw53xk57.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 41

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
I just found the ultimate Go kart: The Alumiflyer with one of Bret's rotary engines in it.
WOO HOO!!!

Desertduler

Reaction score
That little kart looks awesome with those graphics and seat,nice color combination!

---------- Post added at 04:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:21 AM ----------

I just found the ultimate Go kart: The Alumiflyer with one of Bret's rotary engines in it.
WOO HOO!!!
Great idea! I have a 528cc 45hp OMC Rotary engine that would turn that little kart into a missile! :lolgoku:

Status
Not open for further replies.