2015 - "Alumaflyer"

Status
Not open for further replies.

slidewayz

Reaction score
Well here goes nothing.

Karting as re-sunk its teeth pretty deep in me this time around.

This build off couldnt come at a better time.

I have an idea for a little nostalgic-ish styled kart, with roots firmly planted in fun, but maybe you will see a bit of racing fertilizer sprinkled here and there in the soil.

Here are the required pictures and what I literally have as far as parts for the kart....which at the moment is virtually nothing.

But what I do have is a basic design that I drew less than a week ago, and few lunch hours worth of time at the computer I have come up with a preliminary layout of the parts required for the majority of the......wait for it.....
Aluminum Monocoque Chassis.
A bit of inspiration has indeed come from the Gilman Excalibur and the Rathmann Xterminator, of the 60's but it will certainly not be a copy of either.

The pics.

First up will be a paper mock up so I can determine how things will work together, (I had actually done this last night and made numerous subtle changes today on the computer and printed out a new pattern for tonight)

Thanks for looking in folks....this should be a wild ride.:cheers2:

Desertduler

Reaction score
Cool design! This will be a really neat build! :thumbsup:
What gauge aluminum are you going to use?

slidewayz

Reaction score
WOW! Thats quite the response...Thank You!!!

DD, At this point what is readily available to me is 5052 .063" and .125"
My plan is the main structure of the .063" and the bumpers of the thicker .125".

I am looking into an Azusa kit to satisfy all the bolt on bits and bobs.

Stay tuned.... Thanks again!

J, thanks for the compliment, and Chancer....I am only trying to live up to your amazing karts!

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
[ and Chancer....I am only trying to live up to your amazing karts![/QUOTE]

Yeah right. But thank you.

Desertduler

Reaction score
Slidewayz, just curious,do you have a metal brake and a slip roller? I use to build my race buggies aluminium body panels and I also used .063 5052 and I retained them with Dzus fasteners,lots of work but a lot of fun.Also just curious to what engine you are going to use if I may ask? Thanks.

slidewayz

Reaction score
Moved to the build log section! Happy building
AWESOME!!!!:thumbsup:

Yes I do in fact have an 8' break, and a bead roller in my garage.

At work I have access to a 10' break & shear, a slip roller and a cnc router.

My plan is to have the majority of things figured out enough that I can route the parts ready to just bend with little to no modifying and maybe even have fastener holes already in the pieces. (Granted thats a pretty big goal for something that I am mostly making up as I go.) At this point I think the chassis will be bolted together with button/allen bolts and nylocks. For two reasons, the ease of disassembly over rivets if somethings not to my liking, and maybe the aluminum will be a bit less prone to cracking using a bolt over a rivet.

As far as the motor goes, just a good ol HF Predator 212cc. I am really impressed with the looks, simplicity and size of that engine on my Rupp.

Thanks

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
Like this! and they are yellow like your rupp.

Attachments

• a-X2.jpg
    a-X2.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 75

slidewayz

Reaction score
:thumbsup:

That is in fact a Rathmann Xterminator and a bit of the inspiration for this build. I have read polar opposite opinions on how they handled and how well the aluminum worked as the chassis material.

Being the primary function for this kart is fun I am willing to take my chances on building one just to see if I can do it.

I did another paper mock up last night and still refining.
I think I need to change the dimensions of the seat back just a tad to fit it inside the side rails better and I need to design a bulkhead behind the seat for the front of the engine mount to attach to.

Even though its a new pattern, the mock up doesnt look much different than before, but as soon as there is something of substance to add, I will!

I really appreciate the feedback...this is a really good way for me to really think and express my ideas, and gives me a great outlet to let my mind ponder where things may go pear shaped and what my next step(s) may or should be.

Thanks for chiming in, its greatly appreciated.:cheers2:

:stir:<not stirring the pot....but mixing my witches brew...

slidewayz

Reaction score
Ok, so I did get a bunch more done over the weekend.
That is if you can call a bunch of red pen scribbling all over my plans of more changes and refinements.
I reshaped the lower portion of the seat back to include a portion of a bulkhead for that area. I also reshaped the seat bottom side bolsters and they will now have a lightening hole in them. I also made sure the any other lightening holes were sized correctly to double as access to get to fasteners. I also came up with a plan on how to flange the holes for added strength.

I also started coming up with a plan for the replaceable bumpers that also double as frame strengtheners for the areas around the front and rear axles.

One of the cooler things I designed was a pedal system that, if it works out the way I hope, will allow about 6 inches or so of pedal placement adjustability.

And as the weekend was winding down, I plunked myself in front of the laptop and had a little fun in Adobe Illustrator.

Thanks for looking in....more to come.

Desertduler

Reaction score
This is going to be so cool! I can't wait to see this kart! My father was an aircraft mechanic in WW2 and I remember that he had these dies that were to flange aluminium and he had different sizes of them you just made me think about them. He had them as long as I can remember. I am going to have to see if I can find them in all his tools that he left me.

chancer

&#596; &#613; &#592; u &#596; &#477; &#633;
Reaction score
I love the idea of "replaceable bumpers"! You know since go karts don't have horns.

slidewayz

Reaction score
Update:
Well I changed my mind on a few things.
I am going to build 2 chassis, one out of the original planned .063" and one out of a much heavier .090", just to see how much difference there is between the two.
The above photo is the 090 routed out and I have those pieces home now and have reset my brake and am beginning to start the bending and forming process. I have one side rail bent so far and boy is it stout.
I have also routed the bumper side plates for the front and rear, and also made a small plate that will bridge the steering column support and the center bulkhead, for a bit of personalization.....

Thanks for the comments guys!!!!

I just need to raise enough bucks now to make my order to Azusa.

PS, for those that dont know, I am making aluminum old style number panels and some vintage karting decals.
Here is the Nassau Panel, they are 50 bucks shipped to the lower 48 states only.

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.