Yerf Dog w/ Hemi Predator 212

joshw0000

Reaction score
Ha! Don't tell the wife, she won't let you keep it! I imagine low speed indecent?
She knows. Yea the youngest and her friend were pulling in for a pit stop. She was all gas, no brake the whole time and forgot which one was brake. I popped the door back in, refueled, and made her do a few start stops. Then sent her riding again.

joshw0000

Reaction score
Long overdue update... Big Red is sporting her 2nd hemi 212. It now has the heart of the mini bike. The 2" shaft bolt I was using wasn't long enough and/or a combination of the previous owner possibly using a coarse thread bolt and partially stripping it. Somehow the threads on the shaft became damaged and as my daughter was driving it the driven fly passed her as it exploded. I found most of the parts and pushed it back to the shop. Once it was all reassembled and I tried to use a longer (brand new) 3" fine thread bolt, I quickly realized that it wouldn't thread, even past the stripped section. I tried hitting it with an impact and it only went about a 1/8" before it with completely stopped. So my options for this motor are to replace the crank shaft or find someone who can re-thread the existing shaft.

That cart has been down a couple weeks as I've tinkered the blue one. The blue one now has 2 new front tires. They were bare but worked fine until Demon Dog decided to bite one. I'll eventually replace the back tires but for now it's fun and easy to do donuts on the grass.

Last night I decided to get Big Red running again. I pulled the motor from the mini bike and put it in Big Red. This time I marked both bolts on the T/C and after some abuse today neither have moved. I also pulled the 4 point harness off and replace it with retractable seat belts, like the blue one has. They're so much easier to use and store when not using (i.e. passenger). The 4 point were cheapos from eBay and they'd take 10 minutes to buckle/adjust and work loose as you rode. The new ones will actually lock in place if you hit a jolt (like car belts).

So as of now, I have 2 fully functional carts and a mini bike that needs work. I have another new Predator 212 (non-hemi) that I'll put in it soon. That motor came with a couple carts that I picked up off FB recently. Neither run and I haven't touched either one yet....I will once I finish some other projects. But the mini bike will get an overhaul soon. I'll put the new motor on it since the gas tank / air box don't have a breather and the tank lid is far right which will work perfect for adding gas and not hitting the frame (last picture - no carb - I stole it for the blue one lol). I'm going to order 2 new tires for it soon. One has a slow leak and the other was recently popped in 3 places by Demon Dog. It also needs new brakes so I'll take care of that too. That might be a next weekend project. I'm exhausted after this weekend of working on my lean-to all day yesterday/today and carts until 3 AM last night. I'm going to enjoy some cold ones and probably fall asleep at 9 tonight.

Take care guys (and girls)!

Attachments

• PXL_20230520_230852882.jpg
    PXL_20230520_230852882.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20230520_230710658.jpg
    PXL_20230520_230710658.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20230520_230951755.jpg
    PXL_20230520_230951755.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20230520_235514166.jpg
    PXL_20230520_235514166.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 6

BrownStainRacing

Reaction score
Long overdue update... Big Red is sporting her 2nd hemi 212. It now has the heart of the mini bike. The 2" shaft bolt I was using wasn't long enough and/or a combination of the previous owner possibly using a coarse thread bolt and partially stripping it. Somehow the threads on the shaft became damaged and as my daughter was driving it the driven fly passed her as it exploded. I found most of the parts and pushed it back to the shop. Once it was all reassembled and I tried to use a longer (brand new) 3" fine thread bolt, I quickly realized that it wouldn't thread, even past the stripped section. I tried hitting it with an impact and it only went about a 1/8" before it with completely stopped. So my options for this motor are to replace the crank shaft or find someone who can re-thread the existing shaft.

That cart has been down a couple weeks as I've tinkered the blue one. The blue one now has 2 new front tires. They were bare but worked fine until Demon Dog decided to bite one. I'll eventually replace the back tires but for now it's fun and easy to do donuts on the grass.

Last night I decided to get Big Red running again. I pulled the motor from the mini bike and put it in Big Red. This time I marked both bolts on the T/C and after some abuse today neither have moved. I also pulled the 4 point harness off and replace it with retractable seat belts, like the blue one has. They're so much easier to use and store when not using (i.e. passenger). The 4 point were cheapos from eBay and they'd take 10 minutes to buckle/adjust and work loose as you rode. The new ones will actually lock in place if you hit a jolt (like car belts).

So as of now, I have 2 fully functional carts and a mini bike that needs work. I have another new Predator 212 (non-hemi) that I'll put in it soon. That motor came with a couple carts that I picked up off FB recently. Neither run and I haven't touched either one yet....I will once I finish some other projects. But the mini bike will get an overhaul soon. I'll put the new motor on it since the gas tank / air box don't have a breather and the tank lid is far right which will work perfect for adding gas and not hitting the frame (last picture - no carb - I stole it for the blue one lol). I'm going to order 2 new tires for it soon. One has a slow leak and the other was recently popped in 3 places by Demon Dog. It also needs new brakes so I'll take care of that too. That might be a next weekend project. I'm exhausted after this weekend of working on my lean-to all day yesterday/today and carts until 3 AM last night. I'm going to enjoy some cold ones and probably fall asleep at 9 tonight.

Take care guys (and girls)!
Hey bud, I wondered what happened to you. I'll chk out your post in a bit.

BrownStainRacing

Reaction score
@joshw0000
The blue 1 is new. I like it, it's got that super ez motor mount. No sliding the motor, to keep chain on. Jus raise the back up. That's like my grandsons buggy. A very good design, imo. Nice!!!

What happened to the 1st 1 you was working on???

And who in the hell takes a motor off a perfectly good running, riding, machine to put on something else πŸ˜† πŸ˜† 🀣 πŸ˜‚ 😹 πŸ˜† 🀣 πŸ˜‚. Or I should say , who don't.

Good job!!!

Got pics of the others????

Get you drivers set with whatever engagement springs you feel comfortable with, and use that lock I showed you. It's works.

You can put all the lock tite on you want, the hammering of the weights inside of that driver and belt will eventually loosen those bolts.

Clutch set ups dont have all the pressure on those bolts like a t/c does.

It's good to hear from you, have some cold ones for me!!!! πŸ‘

BTW, what's the "boss" think about these new toys you keep bringing home????? πŸ˜† πŸ˜† 🀣 πŸ˜‚ 😹 πŸ˜† 🀣

joshw0000

Reaction score
@joshw0000
The blue 1 is new. I like it, it's got that super ez motor mount. No sliding the motor, to keep chain on. Jus raise the back up. That's like my grandsons buggy. A very good design, imo. Nice!!!

What happened to the 1st 1 you was working on???

And who in the hell takes a motor off a perfectly good running, riding, machine to put on something else πŸ˜† πŸ˜† 🀣 πŸ˜‚ 😹 πŸ˜† 🀣 πŸ˜‚. Or I should say , who don't.

Good job!!!

Got pics of the others????

Get you drivers set with whatever engagement springs you feel comfortable with, and use that lock I showed you. It's works.

You can put all the lock tite on you want, the hammering of the weights inside of that driver and belt will eventually loosen those bolts.

Clutch set ups dont have all the pressure on those bolts like a t/c does.

It's good to hear from you, have some cold ones for me!!!! πŸ‘

BTW, what's the "boss" think about these new toys you keep bringing home????? πŸ˜† πŸ˜† 🀣 πŸ˜‚ 😹 πŸ˜† 🀣
The boss is "ok" with it all. I'm about -$800 right now worth of carts so she'll be happier when we don't have 5 go karts. The 1st one is still occupying space in the shop. I've welded the bracket back down and it'll probably hold. But since I've decided to re-home it I'm going to weld some more angle iron on it so I'm sure the next owner doesn't have the issues I've had.

I thought I posted about the blue one before? I scored it for $200. It needed a new carb, brake adjustment, and all 4 tires were bald (one wasn't seated). I'm pretty stoked about that deal. It's now my youngest daughter's cart...a keeper for sure. And, the seller gave me the original Subaru motor (which may or may not run, I haven't checked yet) and 2 spare T/C belts.

I think I mis-posted about the red cart. It was the driver that exploded, not the driven. I almost forgot about your post. I definitely need to make me one soon and put on it. That's exactly what happened to it.

The reason I robbed the motor from the mini bike is A) it's a hemi and that is a big heavy cart, and B) I have a brand new Predator (non-hemi) that doesn't have a breather and the gas tank lid is far to the right. My biggest complaint about the bike was the motor is tight to the frame and the tank lid is right under the frame. I would have to unscrew it, then pry it against the frame and force it to the side to be able to add gas. With the new motor, it'll have plenty of room to slide off and add gas with no issues. Plus I've been putting off changing the tires and replacing the brakes. It'll be easier to do all of that with no motor.

I don't have pics of the other 2 but I'll take some soon. Both have roll cages but one is a single wheel drive and the other is live axle. My original thought was to keep the live axle cart and sell the other. I got both for $500 with the BNIB predator 212 motor. Once I got there, I realized the live axle cart may be a little too small so now I'm thinking I'll probably sell both of them once I get them running. Plus the 2 carts I have running seem to be a good fit for the kids. I haven't even unloaded them from the trailer from buying them, lol.

My cold ones are kicking in now. How have you been?

BrownStainRacing

Reaction score
The boss is "ok" with it all. I'm about -$800 right now worth of carts so she'll be happier when we don't have 5 go karts. The 1st one is still occupying space in the shop. I've welded the bracket back down and it'll probably hold. But since I've decided to re-home it I'm going to weld some more angle iron on it so I'm sure the next owner doesn't have the issues I've had.

I thought I posted about the blue one before? I scored it for $200. It needed a new carb, brake adjustment, and all 4 tires were bald (one wasn't seated). I'm pretty stoked about that deal. It's now my youngest daughter's cart...a keeper for sure. And, the seller gave me the original Subaru motor (which may or may not run, I haven't checked yet) and 2 spare T/C belts.

I think I mis-posted about the red cart. It was the driver that exploded, not the driven. I almost forgot about your post. I definitely need to make me one soon and put on it. That's exactly what happened to it.

The reason I robbed the motor from the mini bike is A) it's a hemi and that is a big heavy cart, and B) I have a brand new Predator (non-hemi) that doesn't have a breather and the gas tank lid is far to the right. My biggest complaint about the bike was the motor is tight to the frame and the tank lid is right under the frame. I would have to unscrew it, then pry it against the frame and force it to the side to be able to add gas. With the new motor, it'll have plenty of room to slide off and add gas with no issues. Plus I've been putting off changing the tires and replacing the brakes. It'll be easier to do all of that with no motor.

I don't have pics of the other 2 but I'll take some soon. Both have roll cages but one is a single wheel drive and the other is live axle. My original thought was to keep the live axle cart and sell the other. I got both for $500 with the BNIB predator 212 motor. Once I got there, I realized the live axle cart may be a little too small so now I'm thinking I'll probably sell both of them once I get them running. Plus the 2 carts I have running seem to be a good fit for the kids. I haven't even unloaded them from the trailer from buying them, lol.

My cold ones are kicking in now. How have you been?
Yea $200 is a hellava deal!!! I jus can't find those deals around here.

That old subi is too expensive to do anything with. My grandsons starting smoking, piston, rings and gaskets cost more then a pred 212, so that was a no brainer.

You can add it to 1 of the others karts as a "roller package deal" πŸ˜† 🀣

Those 1 wheel peel karts are good for younger inexperienced drivers in parking lots to learn on, but they guickly graduate to live axles. I can find those cheap, πŸ˜† 🀣

You the 3rd person in 2 weeks that drivers had come off. Yours sounds like PO mistake mostly.

I jus had 1 here about 2 weeks ago fly off in my driveway. We didnt find the black button, but found everything else, it destroyed his cover. The dad said he changed belt last year and never had a problem before. I hooked him up with a new bolt, lock, slightly used springs, and button, but didn't have a cover for him.

If you look around for tanks for your mini, you will find some have off set cap locations, those work much better on minis. Some have a different cap that don't go so far down in the tank.

Sounds like the kids are having fun with all the work you been doing, πŸ˜† 🀣 πŸ˜‚

joshw0000

Reaction score
Yea $200 is a hellava deal!!! I jus can't find those deals around here.

That old subi is too expensive to do anything with. My grandsons starting smoking, piston, rings and gaskets cost more then a pred 212, so that was a no brainer.

You can add it to 1 of the others karts as a "roller package deal" πŸ˜† 🀣

Those 1 wheel peel karts are good for younger inexperienced drivers in parking lots to learn on, but they guickly graduate to live axles. I can find those cheap, πŸ˜† 🀣

You the 3rd person in 2 weeks that drivers had come off. Yours sounds like PO mistake mostly.

I jus had 1 here about 2 weeks ago fly off in my driveway. We didnt find the black button, but found everything else, it destroyed his cover. The dad said he changed belt last year and never had a problem before. I hooked him up with a new bolt, lock, slightly used springs, and button, but didn't have a cover for him.

If you look around for tanks for your mini, you will find some have off set cap locations, those work much better on minis. Some have a different cap that don't go so far down in the tank.

Sounds like the kids are having fun with all the work you been doing, πŸ˜† 🀣 πŸ˜‚

I don't expect any of the motors to run. Hopefully one will fire up with a new carb but I'm doubtful.

I lost the black button, bolt/washer/lock washer, and bronze bushing. I found the bronze piece a few days ago....with the mower.

I think I'm working on them more than they're riding πŸ€£πŸ˜‚. This is the first time I've had 2 running carts at the same time. I'm sorta holding my breath, waiting for something to break.

joshw0000

Reaction score
The youngest daughter and I raced today for about 45 minutes straight. We had an absolute blast. We rode so long the dog even got tired of chasing us. Towards the end, I started noticing a ticking noise and realized the roll bar was flexing towards my face when I hit bumps. I hoped off, and wouldn't you know.....

I guess If I'm going to keep these karts running I HAVE to get good at welding. πŸ€¦β€β™‚οΈ

Attachments

• PXL_20230523_003944380.jpg
    PXL_20230523_003944380.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20230523_003934323.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230523_003934323.MP.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 10

BaconBitRacing

Reaction score
The youngest daughter and I raced today for about 45 minutes straight. We had an absolute blast. We rode so long the dog even got tired of chasing us. Towards the end, I started noticing a ticking noise and realized the roll bar was flexing towards my face when I hit bumps. I hoped off, and wouldn't you know.....

I guess If I'm going to keep these karts running I HAVE to get good at welding. πŸ€¦β€β™‚οΈ
Yerf-Dog quality! Keep having fun with the family!

BrownStainRacing

Reaction score
Well we know the dog came in 3rd place, who got 1st??? πŸ˜† 🀣 πŸ˜‚

I think you jus got some dog exercisers, .....not go karts.

Those dont seem like a stress point, but I guess it is, seeing it bent like that.

Look around, you might find something else cracked or bent.

Must be all that "HEMI-POWER" you running under the hood πŸ€” 🀣

joshw0000

Reaction score
Well we know the dog came in 3rd place, who got 1st??? πŸ˜† 🀣 πŸ˜‚

I think you jus got some dog exercisers, .....not go karts.

Those dont seem like a stress point, but I guess it is, seeing it bent like that.

Look around, you might find something else cracked or bent.

Must be all that "HEMI-POWER" you running under the hood πŸ€” 🀣

We took turns. At first the dog was in 1st. He's still trying to bite the tires so I told my daughter to TRY to run over him. Yes, he's that fast. For about 3 laps, I managed to get behind him and chased him around the yard at WOT. When he started to wear out a little, he fell back to 2nd and I took 3rd so I could watch them both.

Both carts are throttled down a little (~70%) but they're close to equal speed. If I really tried, I could stay in first but I 'd just swing wider on turns so we'd stay close together.

Those spots are probably the biggest stress points on the cart. The shocks are pushing up on them every time it hits a bump and the weight of the roll bar hanging behind gives it sorta a twist as well. Fortunately this kart is made from fairly heavy metal so hopefully I can turn the stick welder up without burning it. I've got a 25% HF coupon for this weekend so I'm going to pick up a welders blanket and just drain the gas tank so I don't have to pull the motor again.

I will say, all of this work became worth it while we ripped around the yard. Every time I caught a glance of her face she was wearing a full face grin. Usually she's done riding after 10-15 minutes. Today she never acted like she was bored or ready to stop. At one point she hit the fence with the front tire (driving too close and snagged it, not a head on crash). "Are you OK?", "Yes", "OK, sit tight, I'll pull you off", Vroooooommmm.

joshw0000

Reaction score
It's ugly, but I hope it'll hold. I hit it at the max recommended temp for the stick and puddled it into the medal as much as I could.

Attachments

• PXL_20230523_003934323.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230523_003934323.MP.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20230523_003944380.jpg
    PXL_20230523_003944380.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20230527_002540265.jpg
    PXL_20230527_002540265.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20230530_230905424.jpg
    PXL_20230530_230905424.jpg