Not open for further replies.

Iron John

Reaction score
Masking - made easy with a few trash bags:

IMG_3303.jpg

IMG_3304.jpg

IMG_3306.jpg

IMG_3309.jpg

I'm not sure why some pix are sideways. They display upright in my PCs file manager.

Also attacked the rust on the front coilovers:

IMG_3310.jpg

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
I'm not sure why some pix are sideways. They display upright in my PCs file manager.

Well obviously the forum likes to display photos in the landscape orientation. You took several photos in portrait format so it flipped them. A few foreign forums I frequent have a rotation tool for attachments. Very nice...

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
Sometimes when a thread is just good, there is no reason for guys to muddy the waters with more questions and opinions that end up off topic, Sort of ruining a good how to project documentation.

Iron John

Reaction score
Sometimes when a thread is just good, there is no reason for guys to muddy the waters with more questions and opinions that end up off topic, Sort of ruining a good how to project documentation.

Thank you, that is very gracious.

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
Well, BAM! The painting is complete. No in progress photos of that. Looks very nice. Was it done with rattle can paint?

I knew muriatic acid eats rust pretty well but I am amazed at the shiny chrome it left behind on the shock springs. They look amazing. I guess a wipe every now and then with an oily rag will keep the rust at bay (as well as inside storage). I can't believe people leave so many karts out in the elements... where they rot. Hope the new owners take heed.
:mad2:

Iron John

Reaction score
Well, BAM! The painting is complete. No in progress photos of that. Looks very nice. Was it done with rattle can paint?

I knew muriatic acid eats rust pretty well but I am amazed at the shiny chrome it left behind on the shock springs. They look amazing. I guess a wipe every now and then with an oily rag will keep the rust at bay (as well as inside storage). I can't believe people leave so many karts out in the elements... where they rot. Hope the new owners take heed.
:mad2:

I went to post pictures of the painting and then realized I had not taken any. Here's how it went down:

I had a couple hour window. It was blazingly hot. It was all I could do to not drip perspiration onto the paint as I went.

Then, I did not want to move the kart/trolley lest I risk disturbing the paint since it takes a long time to cure to the point where it can be handled.

By the time all of the dust settled and the paint was sufficiently cured, I forgot I had not taken any shots.

I will take a bunch of shots of the completed paint job today.

BTW, I used a very expensive and hard-to-get paint called 'Rustoleum'. :) I reduced it with Penetrol and added a dash of Japan Drier. I shot it with a conventional detail gun (also called a jamb gun). It is a cheapo I bought from Northern, I'm pretty sure, many years ago. THis is a conventional gun, not a modern HVLP.

I used about three and a half spray can cups of paint. The last one was reduced much more and the idea was to get the best flow. In all, maybe half a quart of paint was used.

It was so blazingly hot that the paint was flashing almost as fast as it went on so I did not get quite as much flow out as I would have liked. This was paradoxical. It would flash pretty quickly from a flow-out perspective, but the paint was not dry enough to handle for a at least three days. There is also a little dust - it might be pollen - it was one of those days where a black car looks green from the pollen in the air, or again it might be overspray. (The frame could be wet sanded and polished to make it look perfect, but that's not gonna happen!) ;)

It's normal for Rustoleum to take a long time to cure to the point it can be handled. That's why I added the Japan Drier, to reduce that time a bit. I am not sure if the Japan Drier contributed to the reduced flow-out I saw, but I suspect not as it seemed that the paint was hitting super-hot metal (because of the sun and the heat of the day) so the most volatile vehicles in the paint were immediately boiling off. That's my theory, but I am not a paint expert. (I did not have a shady area available for painting.)

It surprised me the most was that I did not get more flow-out. Penetrol is mostly linseed oil, and linseed oil is not that volatile. It was flashing as quickly as if I had reduced the paint with lacquer thinner or acetone. I guess it was just that hot.

It also surprised me on how hard it is to spray a black tubing frame on a blindingly sunny day. The glare is unbelievably bright and because it is round tubing, there is no standing off to a slightly different angle to stop the glare. So, in a sense I was also flying blind. SInce I am not an expert with a spray gun, perhaps the vision challenges coupled with my amatuer status diminished the results as well.

At this point I hope it does not seem like I am just listing excuse after excuse. That's not my intent. I just want to report what I experienced since if it happened to me it can happen to someone else.

I kept reminding myself that 'this is a go-cart that will be used and abused by kids who just want to have fun and that it probably will spend the rest of its life outdoors'. It's not for a car show.

I consider the completed job acceptable but not as perfect as I would have liked despite the aforesaid caveat. :) I would like to hear some honest criticism and comments once I get the additional photos up.

---------- Post added at 05:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:10 AM ----------

Trash bags are so versatile. Paint job looks good

Thanks; looking forward to some honest feedback once I get more pictures up.

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
I went to post pictures of the painting and then realized I had not taken any. Here's how it went down:

I had a couple hour window. It was blazingly hot. It was all I could do to not drip perspiration onto the paint as I went.

Then, I did not want to move the kart/trolley lest I risk disturbing the paint since it takes a long time to cure to the point where it can be handled.

By the time all of the dust settled and the paint was sufficiently cured, I forgot I had not taken any shots.

I will take a bunch of shots of the completed paint job today.

BTW, I used a very expensive and hard-to-get paint called 'Rustoleum'. :) I reduced it with Penetrol and added a dash of Japan Drier. I shot it with a conventional detail gun (also called a jamb gun). It is a cheapo I bought from Northern, I'm pretty sure, many years ago.

I used about three and a half spray can cups of paint. The last one was reduced much more and the idea was to get the best flow. In all, maybe half a quart of paint was used.

It was so blazingly hot that the paint was flashing almost as fast as it went on so I did not get quite as much flow out as I would have liked. This was paradoxical. It would flash pretty quickly from a flow-out perspective, but the paint was not dry enough to handle for a at least three days. There is also a little dust - it might be pollen - it was one of those days where a black car looks green from the pollen in the air, or again it might be overspray. (The frame could be wet sanded and polished to make it look perfect, but that's not gonna happen!) ;)

It's normal for Rustoleum to take a long time to cure to the point it can be handled. That's why I added the Japan Drier, to reduce that time a bit. I am not sure if the Japan Drier contributed to the reduced flow-out I saw, but I suspect not as it seemed that the paint was hitting super-hot metal (because of the sun and the heat of the day) so the most volatile vehicles in the paint were immediately boiling off. That's my theory, but I am not a paint expert. (I did not have a shady area available for painting.)

It surprised me the most was that I did not get more flow-out. Penetrol is mostly linseed oil, and linseed oil is not that volatile. It was flashing as quickly as if I had reduced the paint with lacquer thinner or acetone. I guess it was just that hot.

It also surprised me on how hard it is to spray a black tubing frame on a blindingly sunny day. The glare is as if you unbelievably bright and because it is round tubing, there is no standing off to a slightly different angle to stop the glare. So, in a sense I was also flying blind. SInce I am not an expert with a spray gun, perhaps the vision challenges coupled with my amatuer status diminished the results as well.

At this point I hope it does not seem like I am just listing excuse after excuse. That's not my intent. I just want to report what I experienced since if it happened to me it can happen to someone else.

I kept reminding myself that 'this is a go-cart that will be used and abused by kids who just want to have fun and that it probably will spend the rest of its life outdoors'. It's not for a car show.

I consider the completed job acceptable but not as perfect as I would have liked despite the aforesaid caveat. :) I would like to hear some honest criticism and comments once I get the additional photos up.

---------- Post added at 05:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:10 AM ----------

Thanks; looking forward to some honest feedback once I get more pictures up.

We do indeed have a lot in common, Iron John....I understand most of what you were trying to do....except the japan drier....Oh well, we all have our faults....

Why don't you fill out a profile location so we can be friends?

Iron John

Reaction score
Here are some photos of the paint job. The kart was covered in pollen (even though it is inside - that's how much pollen we are dealing with!) so I quickly hosed it down and wiped mostly dry with a rag that left plenty of lint.

I clearly do not have a future detailing vehicles for Barrett-Jackson.

IMG_3332.jpg

IMG_3327.jpg

IMG_3330.jpg

IMG_3331.jpg

As you can see I went with a fat solid red stripe to keep it simple and because I like how this shade of red pops against the black paint.

ezcome-ezgo

G'me sumthin to write on
Reaction score
Pollen? NA is North America? North Africa? New Amsterdam? Never Again?

I wouldn't worry about a little dust, it's a Yerf Dog, not a work of art. I think you're doing great.

Iron John

Reaction score
A detail worth mentioning is what I did to the tires. These are the original tires. They are still serviceable but their appearance was not up to the rest of the cart now that it has been repainted.

Instead of using tire shine or Armor All, I hit them with a light coat of Tire Black.

Tire Black is a paint made by DuPont. (I am not sure if this is still made as I bought this can over 40 years ago.) Tire Black is just carbon black and a volatile solvent. Carbon black is what makes tires black when they are made. So you are covering the tire with a material compatible with the tire.

I applied a very thin coat with a chip brush. I spun the tire as I was applying it to make it a bit easier. I just did the inner and outer sidewalls - there is no reason to apply this to the tread.

A little goes a long way as evidenced that this pint of paint has lasted many years.

The result is not shiny slick like Armor All. It is not a filler, so f there was a gouge it is still there. It just makes the rubber look uniformly fresh.

Thought I'd mention it as the younger folks reading this would probably have never heard of this product. I do wonder if it is still made.

IMG_3339.jpg

Iron John

Reaction score
Pollen? NA is North America? North Africa? New Amsterdam? Never Again?

I wouldn't worry about a little dust, it's a Yerf Dog, not a work of art. I think you're doing great.

LOL, Not Applicable.

Thanks, you're right, but I am pissed at myself because the paint is not as good as the prep that went into it. I should not have painted it when I did - it was just too hot and I was too rushed.

It is still better than most and perfectly fine for something kids will be climbing all over.

bread

Reaction score
looks good to me, way better than any of my past "paint jobs"
I see what you mean about the glare, but I'm sure its worse in person while spraying when the paint is more reflective. Still, for flying blind, i think it turned out great

Status
Not open for further replies.