What welder brand(s) are you using?

What brand welder do you have/use for DIY?

• Hobart

• Miller

• Lincoln

• ESAB

• Vulcan

• Titanium

• Chicago Electric

• [OTHER] Comment

Results are only viewable after voting.

Kartorbust

Reaction score
I'd like to get an idea of what everyone on here is using for welding machines. Not the process (Tig, Mig, Stick), but the brand itself. Also comment on what you think of it, how long you've had it, would you recommend it to people, so pretty much a mini review. I'd like to keep this open for a while, as new people come on here and may look to see what others have said and what to look for in a welding machine.

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
I have the Century FC90, a Lincoln brand. I haven’t done a whole lot of welding with it, but I can tell it’s capable of a whole lot! I’ve blown holes in metal despite 90 amps being comparatively low power, and I’ve gotten some very nice beads down even despite my little experience. And man is it a tiny little welder!! I literally have a bun I keep all my welding gear in, welder included! I love being able to fine tune the amperage and wire speed, the adjustments are silky smooth. Actually the whole reason I got a Lincoln brand welder is because my first welding teacher recommended it, and it did not disappoint!

jamyers

Reaction score
Been using the Harbor Freight flux-core for years now, it does a good job on most everything on a go kart - great for the money spent.

redflash

Reaction score
have a harbor freight tig unit....3 years and absolutely no complaints. just the current cost of argon kills me .

Kartorbust

Reaction score
have a harbor freight tig unit....3 years and absolutely no complaints. just the current cost of argon kills me .
Where you located? Last I knew (several years ago unfortunately) it was about $65 for a 6hour or 125 bottle.

redflash

Reaction score
I live in Northern California......About $65.-- for a #80 bottle at 'Airgas' dealer......I could drive an hour to Oakland and get it for $40.00
......not worth the drive.

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
If I had the budget I’d love a Miller wire feed, I’ve only heard good things about them.

Kartorbust

Reaction score
We have a Millermatic 211 autoset at work, setup for FCAW for specific recalls. I haven't used it. It is an inverter machine, so its lighter than say a Hobart 190 or 210, which are transformer welders, it's like 38lbs vs 70 or 80lbs respectively. Would like to mention that Hobart is bringing out another welder next week, it's a Hobart Multi-Handler 200, multi-process machine. So mig, tig, stick. Looks like it might be scratch start only tig, I'm not seeing a foot pedal either for it from Northern Tool or Acme Tools. Looks like it's starting price is $1099 or $1199, depending on the store.

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
i have never used a mig welder. though we recently got a tig setup for our stick welder, but we have not set it up yet.
Get one if you can. Yes it's great and all to learn stick, but wow a MiG will do wonders for your beads if you aren't very good with stick. Really convenient too, and easier to store.

Dingocat

Broke
Reaction score
Have an old lincoln, Idealarc 180 that does ac stick welds. Main purpose of it is for running an arc torch. And also a Hobart handler 140 with flux core. I've been using that for more of my projects and it's worked well. Havent had any issues with it.

Karts of Kaos

the many mowers guy
Reaction score
Get one if you can. Yes it's great and all to learn stick, but wow a MiG will do wonders for your beads if you aren't very good with stick. Really convenient too, and easier to store.
thanks JT! i will consider it. for now I will stick with the stick because I am not doing very meany builds. but if i start making more karts I may switch.

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Yeah mine's a flux core, works a treat, just gotta clean off the flux, but that's fine by me, better than having a shielding gas tank in the garage IMO.