What welder brand(s) are you using?

What brand welder do you have/use for DIY?

• Hobart

• Miller

• Lincoln

• ESAB

• Vulcan

• Titanium

• Chicago Electric

• [OTHER] Comment

Results are only viewable after voting.

Kartorbust

Reaction score
Shielding gas is inert, it doesn't explode...long as something doesn't damage the bottle valve off and it becomes a 4 foot tall mini missile.

jamyers

Reaction score
Nothing at all bad about a flux core, just take your time. For example, watch this guy weld sheet metal - one bit at a time - with a Harbor Freight.

Kartorbust

Reaction score
The only flux cored welding I did in college was dual shielded. Mainly because very few shops use self shielded flux cored. Its seen as a hobbyist or farmer's only type process. Or at least that's the vibe I was getting.

On the subject, I'd suggest people watch Weld.com videos on YouTube. Quite knowledgeable group of welders on there. Video I watched from them today from several years ago was Flux cored self shielded stainless steel wire. Such a thing exists.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
I just got a cheap flux core welder from an italian company you unlikely ever heard of (tigmig)
layed down no more than maybe a meter or two of beads in the four(five?) years I have that thing..
so yeah cheap was the way to go ;) (the mask was almost more expensive than the welder ;))
a 130 amp (220V) since I got it for a specific task that required me welding 5mm at least
it came with a gas hose in the gun and I was toying with the idea to actually convert it to MIG one day..
but frankly after those years and the lack of use it got.... I doubt that'll ever happen.

Currently re-thinking about that project it was bought for
(a bike lift)
but material costs are 'considerable' and it'll likely take a few more meters of layed down bird ****
for me to actually trust my welds enough to hang 200+ kg on one of it...
sooo yeah a bit hesitant to try tbh.
So I was dragging my feet to find a scrap yard where I can source square tube-sections for cheap
to maybe give it a try.

'sid

Snaker

Reaction score
The only flux cored welding I did in college was dual shielded. Mainly because very few shops use self shielded flux cored. Its seen as a hobbyist or farmer's only type process. Or at least that's the vibe I was getting.

On the subject, I'd suggest people watch Weld.com videos on YouTube. Quite knowledgeable group of welders on there. Video I watched from them today from several years ago was Flux cored self shielded stainless steel wire. Such a thing exists.
Mig is considered the better wire feed choice over flux. Cleaner, less mess, prettier. But that does require greater efforts to prep, setup a good weld station, cleaner materials, etc. Tig is even more sensitive to conditions than mig.
Flux is the windy wire. Wind becomes a problem with mig, and not gale forces, but a regular breeze.
Flux is not picky about clean materials, probably where the farmer label comes from. Just scrape off the cow crap and hit it.

On my wire feed I had the flux setup most of the time for my situation and would change over to mig somewhat infrequently.

And yeah, if your dealing with scrapyard and scrounger metals, a little rust, a little paint residue, dissimilar thickness and even different alloys, then flux is for you.

Last edited:

Kartorbust

Reaction score
You do end up paying a bit more for flux cored over solid wire. Another thing to consider too is, the larger the spool, the cheaper it is over all. Sure a 40 or 50lb spool will cost $120 or so, but a 10lb spool is around $35-$80 depending on what you are getting. The smaller the diameter the more you pay as well.

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I know that shielding gas is very safe and stable, but it is kinda bulky to hang around our incredibly messy garage, and I'm not keen on getting it refilled every once in awhile.