There She Blows

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
Since there isn’t enough possible points of failure, why not a few more?

Think I might try to cool the supercharger oil.

Might try one of these doohickeys with one of those air buzzers and maybe clickity clack pump pump gizmo.?

Can I pump oil like this? Or only water connected to a heat sink slapped on the blower case?

Attachments

• IMG_4395.png
    IMG_4395.png
    727.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4394.png
    IMG_4394.png
    534.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4396.png
    IMG_4396.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 2

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
I wouldn’t do it myself. You’ll run the risk of the oil getting sucked out of the blower and running it dry. Also on the engine it came off of spins a whole bunch faster than that 212 could ever spin it.

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
I think I planned on the blower turning 4500 when the engine was at 6000 rpm. The Tillotson coil is supposed to cut spark at 6500 rpm. I’m not really sure what happens at that point? Will there be E-85 flames out of the exhaust till it sparks again? Is that why tuner cars are shooting flames and bouncing off the rev limiter doing burnouts and what not?

If I was going to pump something I want to keep the wattage under 12w to power it. These pumps are 4.2 watts each. I wonder if together they could pump the TriboDyn oil which is like 50 weight or ?

I think Robot Cantina runs the 300cc blower on a 420cc. I think he runs a 1:1 ratio. I also think his 420cc is turning around 4500 rpm when in his car.

I don’t remember the rpm for his testing. He did a procedure for each run. It showed the recommended gear oil got the blower and intake temps the hottest. 192F and 194F.

He ended up using a water cooled heat sink thing pasted to the side of the blower housing.

Fuel cooling, I’ve heard, does a lot of good.

Attachments

• IMG_4399.png
    IMG_4399.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4400.png
    IMG_4400.png
    736.9 KB · Views: 6

65ShelbyClone

Reaction score
The ad says compatible with oil and gasoline. Whether or not that's true is up for debate. I would be likewise concerned about its operating temperature.

I think I planned on the blower turning 4500 when the engine was at 6000 rpm. The Tillotson coil is supposed to cut spark at 6500 rpm. I’m not really sure what happens at that point? Will there be E-85 flames out of the exhaust till it sparks again? Is that why tuner cars are shooting flames and bouncing off the rev limiter doing burnouts and what not?

It's possible, but not all that likely IMO. One cycle's unburned charge in the header would have to be ignited by the next or there would have to be enough heat in the exhaust to do it. I can't find anything on exactly how the Tillotson coil cuts spark. A lot of automotive systems have a "soft" limiter that starts before the hard cut. Soft limiters usually either start pulling lots of ignition timing (danger to manifold) or start dropping cylinders in a cyclic fashion, both to reduce power and stop revs from climbing. They also often have hysteresis so once triggered, the revs have to drop a certain amount below the activation point before spark returns.

I have no idea if the Tillotson has any of that. It may just fully cut spark above 6500.

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
I do think I have the benefit of running ethanol through the blower and intake. I think it should help lower the intake temps. IIRC Robot Cantina has his injector close to the cylinder head.
At this point I’m just looking for sumthing to bolt her to. I might go garbage pickin next week.

Thepartsguy

Reaction score
On the Briggs forums I found this picture where they set the whole deal on a plate that bolted in place of the tank. Not sure about the amr300 being bolted to a flat plate. Just an idea.4101B258-93EF-4257-9938-376761F98D13.jpeg

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
So I guess there’s a difference in compression fitting ferrule types?
I think the boost gauge kit came with these cone shaped ferrules, but I snapped the nut in half over-tightening it. Then I used a one of these types and it looks like I pinched the line at the top of the fitting near the hole in the nut. The tubing is plastic 1/8” OD tubing.

I order some of these cone ferrules. I hope third time is a charm.

Attachments

• IMG_4405.png
    IMG_4405.png
    885.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4406.png
    IMG_4406.png
    2 MB · Views: 1

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
This was Robot Cantina results using 1.4A 12V fuel pump to circulate oil out of 1 block drain through a radiator and back through other drain.

Used an alternator to put load on the engine.

Removing the pull start recoil cooled it down a bunch. I’ll have to rewatch and see what was actually removed.
EDIT: If the electric start works, I guess I don’t need pull start or recoil.

Attachments

• IMG_4415.jpeg
    IMG_4415.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4416.jpeg
    IMG_4416.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
Well I got a message back on the Ariens. Hopefully will look at it tomorrow.

If it works I should just buy it now and sell in December for triple the price, but I’m not smart enough to flip snowthrowers for profit.

This was directly stolen from Robot Cantina. He used thermal paste and 3D printed some sort of bracketry. I have thermal paste but no ideas on bracketry yet.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 5

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
So no snowblower.

Im thinking a couple 1.5” x 2.5” x 0.125” thick rectangle steel tubes 48” long each can become the bottom frame rails of a minibike.

A few 1” pillow block bearings for a live axle.
A few 5/8” pillow block bearings for a jackshaft.

13” rear tires
42T rear sprocket
10T jackshaft sprocket
7” 30 series Driven Unit.

Axle on top of the rails.
Maybe engine in between the rails so it sits lower.
Oil pan extra low to cut the wind from beneath to give and extra 30HP.
Fuel line to store an extra gallon of gas.