Tecumseh no start and discouraged

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
I don't mean to hurt anyone’s feeling by that. I also had a Tecumseh and it didnt look to good (like there was cracks inside the motor) so I got a predator 212

Your Tecumseh was also old and not-running. Maybe we shouldn't compare apples to... rotten apples, eh? :oops: :LOL:

You're also derailing (and minor hijacking) the OP's thread here. It's bad form and bad etiquette. We all like to poke fun and make jokes, sure, but you're also being, like, deliberately demoralizing (telling the OP that his engine is junk, essentially).

I think he needs to beat you up a little bit, like after school on the playground.

Last edited:

Reaction score
Now show us all the threads about every other brand of engine that has problems. That would only be fair and it would also blow your assertion to smithereens! (Pssst, don't do it!)
:roflol:
Tecumseh must be worst than the rest if they have two threads pop up in the newest activity lol

Reaction score
Some people have favorites and least favorites. I just like whatever runs and is cheap or free With a little work!

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
My first run in with tecumseh… gettin whooped.. lol
Won’t be your last! Actually they were decent engines it’s just the carbs were very touchy and gave them their troubles.

EZ if you came near one of my engines with steel wool you could get hurt badly. Use a scotch brite pad instead. And you don’t use valve lapping compound on pistons, rings or cylinders. It’s used on hard surfaces and cleans up easily.

Last edited:

Mgerard

Reaction score
Dump the injun engine and get a predator...
I just went down this path a month ago.
Every engine can be restored as long as the blocks not cracked. As long as I don’t put to much money into it and I’m not there yet, it was basically free. Gotta wait till next Tuesday for the head gasket. I’m betting it was the exhaust valve, was sticking pretty often so I have hope lol
Thanks for the tips and advice so far everybody, much appreciated.

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
Every engine can be restored as long as the blocks not cracked. As long as I don’t put to much money into it and I’m not there yet, it was basically free. Gotta wait till next Tuesday for the head gasket. I’m betting it was the exhaust valve, was sticking pretty often so I have hope lol
Thanks for the tips and advice so far everybody, much appreciated.

I'm with you, man, when no one else is.
Even a cracked block cannot stop the might and glory of JB Weld! I love fixing old junk more than "throwing a Predator at it". I like these OHV Tecumsehs too, the way they look, just never had one... yet.

It doesn't even have catastrophic engine damage and they're already telling you to dump it in the trash. Smh.

Master Hack

Reaction score
Granted there is an educational component to what yer doing. With the price of the chinese engines, it doesn’t make a lot of sense to put money into an old questionable engine. I just went through exactly what you are. Just needs a carb l thought, then the coil failed. $70 later the scrap man got it! Need a coil and carb?

Thepartsguy

Reaction score
Just buy some simple cheap tools once and you always have them.. Tear it down and clean them up and re-assemble with a torque wrench and a book with the torque specs in it.. This also works for predators.. Very very simple.. I’m not lying even I can do it.2A5F0D31-03E4-4342-83B2-21D8E52FD7C9.jpegB3273B51-B068-4B0D-97E3-D9FB9EAF3E6A.png8FBA105B-8D62-43F7-A171-8B5A48228F3C.jpeg19ADBD90-6AA0-46E6-8C0B-68EA8469A185.jpegA515493D-0F35-4C33-80E3-D57705F633DF.jpegE7071C83-144E-4925-A100-026AD5AF0DB2.jpeg

Thepartsguy

Reaction score
I have never heard this engine run. Never even attempted to start it at all.. I bought it got it home and out of the truck bed and stripped it. It did clean up very nice.. I buy engines like this for karts and do not like to turn them over any until there cleaned up.. they set for so long I don’t know if turning them over dry hurts any bearing surfaces or the bore. So it’s just better in my opinion to make them nice before I run them. (Give them the best chance to live after being worked on by me)637CDBC3-2A86-449E-AEB9-91A7FA20F1DA.jpeg1C5348C3-4644-44F3-8ED3-A7B0D6A0A4CA.pngBFBA98AF-B9EA-4B25-B120-9C115C6957B6.jpegA3CD4062-91EF-4B94-8ACE-FB3580AEBB98.jpeg

Mgerard

Reaction score
Granted there is an educational component to what yer doing. With the price of the chinese engines, it doesn’t make a lot of sense to put money into an old questionable engine. I just went through exactly what you are. Just needs a carb l thought, then the coil failed. $70 later the scrap man got it! Need a coil and carb?
It’s got a new carb and coil and it was runnin. Only reason I think I can bring it back. Any body know torque specs on a Tecumseh OH195EA-71240G? Haven’t started lookin yet, figured I’d ask first.

ezcome-ezgo

G'me sumthin to write on
Reaction score
I happen to own a Teckasheema, 6hp, OHV. A yearly ritual with the carb in the spring. But these things can grow on you. Depends on how much patience and time you have.

Mgerard

Reaction score
Is your spark plug gaped properly? It’s says it should be .030
For the head I’ll use the torque spec for piece of mind. Better chance at knowing the gasket set properly. Spark plug is gapped correctly. It’s lookin like maybe I had a sticking exhaust valve and ima check on the flywheel key.. been readin and I’d almost bet it’s gone. Between those two things I think I may have got it! Time will tell when I get it back together. How do you check valve clearance?