IMG_0927.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0928.jpeg
    IMG_0928.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 7

Reaction score
I
Pulled the head and the valves don’t feel sticky but they are heavily deposited
I would try to clean it up with a towel and some carb clean or maybe wd-40. But it probably won’t help it start it’s just good to do since you have it apart. Does it have a low oil sensor? If not That’s all I can help you with sorry. But good luck I hope you can get it running

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
Mgerard: those carbon deposits you see are about normal. That's the way any small engine or car engine looks inside, that has any decent amount of hours or mileage on it.

Thank you. I finally saw a forum that I actually thought I could try to answer so I wanted to help

We are on a discussion forum (DIYGK) where you found a thread--> "Tecumseh no start and discouraged" wherein you felt you could contribute by writing a post, message or reply. Just so you know the lingo, FYI and all that. ;)

These are two different engines though. The OP (original poster) has a Tecumseh OHV engine and you showed a photo of your flathead or L head Tecumseh.

Reaction score
Mgerard: those carbon deposits you see are about normal. That's the way any small engine or car engine looks inside, that has any decent amount of hours or mileage on it.

We are on a discussion forum (DIYGK) where you found a thread--> "Tecumseh no start and discouraged" wherein you felt you could contribute by writing a post, message or reply. Just so you know the lingo, FYI and all that. ;)

These are two different engines though. The OP (original poster) has a Tecumseh OHV engine and you showed a photo of your flathead or L head Tecumseh.
I’m only 13 years old so I am just trying to help from my experience and I might not be the best help on this site but I have some experience with small engines so hopefully this can help you.

that’s what I wrote. I’m not 20+ years old like most of the people here. I am not a mechanic and I don’t know as much as most of the people here. I am just trying to help since it’s a question I kind of felt familiar with and I don’t want to be an as*hole asking for help and not trying to help others. I tried to offer my help and I know I might have had a different situation as him but I was just trying to help. I want to give advice so I can keep receiving advice from others who are more educated then me and can help

Reaction score

and I showed pictures of a Briggs and Stratton 5hp motor not a Tecumseh 😉 because that what I had so I tried to help the best I could

Hellion

Reaction score
With the cylinder head off the engine, you can press on the valve springs manually to make sure the valves open and close.

It is entirely possible that there could be debris between the valves and the valve seats, creating a bad seal and thus creating low compression, but that usually happens to engines that have sat for a long time without running.

While the cylinder head is off Mgerard, it is not a bad idea to raise the piston to top dead center and scrape off all the carbon deposits, making sure to sweep off the crumbs so they don't get into the block. Using a vacuum cleaner or shop vac would be excellent for the carbon bits. I would put duct tape over the 'gallery' where the pushrods are located so no debris gets inside. Try to use something softer than the piston metal so you don't gouge it or scuff it up. You can use something like a hard plastic scraper, steel wool or a brass wire wheel at low RPM.

A single edge razor blade, held almost flat against the piston head can be a great carbon scraper. Just take great care and work gingerly with it.

Last edited:

BrownStainRacing

Reaction score
Pulled the head and the valves don’t feel sticky but they are heavily deposited
Since you have the head off, now would be a good time to lap the valves and check for leaky valve seats. This way you are 100% sure the valves are not leaking.

I've had 5 or 6 clone heads this year that were leaking.

After I lap the valves, i install the springs and retainers, install an old plug, lay the head level with combustion chamber up, fill it with water, have a few cold adult beverages (4 or 6), 😆 🤣 😂, then look for water in the intake and exhaust runners.

If no water in runners, that means no leaks and a very good chance the combustion chamber is sealed when the valves close, 👍.

It's by no means the most professional way of checking,......but it sure cures my thirst, 😆 😜 😅 😉

Mgerard

Reaction score
Hey man if it works given the circumstance I’m all for it. I don’t have lapping compound and haven’t really looked over my lap surface yet. I’m thinking maybe debri as well, ima get it cleaned up. Then pull the springs and take a better look. Can I use gasket sealer for the head or do I have to order one?

BrownStainRacing

Reaction score
Hey man if it works given the circumstance I’m all for it. I don’t have lapping compound and haven’t really looked over my lap surface yet. I’m thinking maybe debri as well, ima get it cleaned up. Then pull the springs and take a better look. Can I use gasket sealer for the head or do I have to order one?
I would replace the head gasket.

If it had a fire ring, I would spray both sides with copper gasket spray, a few coats, but I don't see a fire ring on that gasket.

BrownStainRacing

Reaction score

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Do not use steel wool on anything inside an engine!! EVER!! The little fine fibers break off and you will not get them all out before it eats the engine! Around 1997 Takashema had a problem with soft cranks and keyways. The keyways would either wallow out on the crank or crack and chip out allowing the flywheels to spin. I know I had 2 of them! Go to NAPA and get some valve lapping compound and lap the valves. Use kerosene or diesel fuel to check the seal instead of water. Water has a high film strength and won’t go through tiny gaps. Prussian Blue also available there also works great to reveal the sealing area of the seat.

Hellion

Reaction score
Do not use steel wool on anything inside an engine!! EVER!! The little fine fibers break off and you will not get them all out before it eats the engine!

I DID use steel wool (and other terrible things) on an engine before! You know how I got all the particles, debris and detritus out afterward?
I washed the whole block and related parts thoroughly in a 5 gallon pail filled with warm soapy water.

A guy can also freak out about using valve compound. DON'T DO IT, EVER!!! You will not get all that valve lapping compound (grit) and metal particles out of the engine and you will grind that engine to death when it's running again. ;) See what I did there?

These things can be done without any disastrous after-effects if you're very surgeon-like and ultra fastidious in your work and in your cleanup. I'm not saying a person has to go hog wild and give it a bubble bath either, just saying.

Mgerard

Reaction score
I DID use steel wool (and other terrible things) on an engine before! You know how I got all the particles, debris and detritus out afterward?
I washed the whole block and related parts thoroughly in a 5 gallon pail filled with warm soapy water.

A guy can also freak out about using valve compound. DON'T DO IT, EVER!!! You will not get all that valve lapping compound (grit) and metal particles out of the engine and you will grind that engine to death when it's running again. ;) See what I did there?

These things can be done without any disastrous after-effects if you're very surgeon-like and ultra fastidious in your work and in your cleanup. I'm not saying a person has to go hog wild and give it a bubble bath either, just saying.
5 gallon bucket after lapping got it. Didn’t think about it, I could give it a soak in a 5 gallon bucket. Good idea

Hellion

Reaction score
5 gallon bucket after lapping got it. Didn’t think about it, I could give it a soak in a 5 gallon bucket. Good idea

It's not my own genius brain that came up with that, I stole it from a Taryl Fixes All video on Youtube. It starts at 4:09 after the silly parody bit and the "warshing" happens at the 31:44 mark:

But with this washing and all, that means you're facing a complete engine teardown that you didn't want to do at first. Are you going to do it? :smiley_omg:

BrownStainRacing

Reaction score
I

I don't mean to hurt anyone’s feeling by that. I also had a Tecumseh and it didnt look to good (like there was cracks inside the motor) so I got a predator 212
I grew up running the b&s and tec flatheads.

I didn't won't to give up on em so quick, but once I seen the potential in the honda/clone ohv, and parts are some much easier and cheaper to get. I dont think I will every have another style small engine.