Tecumseh 2 stroke, no idle circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russ2251

AZUSA:Powered by LAWN-BOY
Reaction score
Does this look like the one I need or should I just go with the 22mm Mikuni?
It appears to be correct. I could research it if part number was supplied.
Would there be any difference in power?
Possibly, would be nice if venturi size could be compared to what you have.
I would shoot off an e-mail to seller. "Ask seller a question" on top right side of page under "Meet the seller". Tell him what you have and ask if it will work on your engine.
I just may pick one up myself. Harder and harder to find as EPA is cracking down on this stuff.

jr dragster T

Reaction score
As long as primers are not miss-used like million's of people just pushing it a'thousand time's you should be alright with a primer.

loneagle

Reaction score
Well, I got a response from the seller and the carb is the same size venturi and bolt pattern, so I ordered it. I also got the throttle linkage all figured out. Still waiting on the parts for the jackshaft to arrive. Hopefully I'll have the bike up and running next weekend.

loneagle

Reaction score
I recieved the new carb in the mail today and installed it on my motor. I set the mixture screws at 1.5 turns hi speed and 1 turn on the low and started the engine. From some reason the engine won't idle down. If I turn the idle speed screw down, the engine will die.:confused: I checked for vacuum leaks and found none! Maybe the float level is off ??

The engine does run pretty good at WOT! I've ended up at about 1 turn out on the main. Does this sound correct?

Kenny_McCormic

Kartless....
Reaction score
I recieved the new carb in the mail today and installed it on my motor. I set the mixture screws at 1.5 turns hi speed and 1 turn on the low and started the engine. From some reason the engine won't idle down. If I turn the idle speed screw down, the engine will die.:confused: I checked for vacuum leaks and found none! Maybe the float level is off ??

The engine does run pretty good at WOT! I've ended up at about 1 turn out on the main. Does this sound correct?

Do a plug reading, running a 2 stroke a little lean will melt it.Or for a quick close enough tune put it on a stand so it cant run away, hold the throttle wide open while adjusting the main,turn it out till it bogs and then back in JUST till it revs free again. The idle could be a mixture issue try it at 1.5 turns and turn the stop down, just play around in general with the idle till its slow enough for your liking and richen it up a little bit afterward.

Russ2251

Reaction score
Maybe the float level is off ??
Very unlikely. Carbs are good right out of the box.
Start engine and adjust idle stop screw to the point where it will run without quitting (hands off).
Once at that point, slowly turn low speed screw until you can here rpm increase. As speed increases, begin to lower the idle stop screw. Work between these 2 screws until you achieve the lowest speed without stalling engine.

loneagle

Reaction score
Your right, the float level was spot on. Got it running a little better now. I found the the fuel tank wasn't vented, so I drilled a tiny hole in the fuel cap. Then I played with the hi speed screw with the back wheel off the ground like you recommended. The plug is a nice light brown. The low speed didn't seem to make much of a differance. Oh well, I'll mess with it some more tomorrow. Thanks for the help!!

Kenny_McCormic

Kartless....
Reaction score
Your right, the float level was spot on. Got it running a little better now. I found the the fuel tank wasn't vented, so I drilled a tiny hole in the fuel cap. Then I played with the hi speed screw with the back wheel off the ground like you recommended. The plug is a nice light brown. The low speed didn't seem to make much of a differance. Oh well, I'll mess with it some more tomorrow. Thanks for the help!!

I prefer a darker coco brown but its mostly preference.

loneagle

Reaction score
Well, I spent over an hour trying to get the carb adjusted and my son did quite a few runs up and down the street. I runs good on the top end but the low speed performance sucks. I still can't get the idle speed down low enough. The carb completely loses the signal and the engine dies when I try to turn the idle down. The clutch is also partially engaged at this speed.

I'm thinking it may be sucking air. Maybe a crank seal?

I'm going to call it a day! :furious2:

Kenny_McCormic

Kartless....
Reaction score
Well, I spent over an hour trying to get the carb adjusted and my son did quite a few runs up and down the street. I runs good on the top end but the low speed performance sucks. I still can't get the idle speed down low enough. The carb completely loses the signal and the engine dies when I try to turn the idle down. The clutch is also partially engaged at this speed.

I'm thinking it may be sucking air. Maybe a crank seal?

I'm going to call it a day! :furious2:

I suppose it could be failing reeds, how much compression does it have?

Russ2251

Reaction score
If carb cannot be richened with low speed screw, I would also suspect a sealing problem. Check crank seals (both sides) and where case splits. Sometimes leaks can be detected with oil or soapy water while turning engine over by hand. Watch for small bubbles.
I suppose it could be failing reeds
This engine is piston ported...Is it not?

Kenny_McCormic

Kartless....
Reaction score
If carb cannot be richened with low speed screw, I would also suspect a sealing problem. Check crank seals (both sides) and where case splits. Sometimes leaks can be detected with oil or soapy water while turning engine over by hand. Watch for small bubbles.
This engine is piston ported...Is it not?

Dunno, just throwin it out there. Another good way to check bad seals is by blowing them with propane, while its running, if you hear a speed change then you know you have a problem.

jr dragster T

Reaction score
Do a plug reading, running a 2 stroke a little lean will melt it.Or for a quick close enough tune put it on a stand so it cant run away, hold the throttle wide open while adjusting the main,turn it out till it bogs and then back in JUST till it revs free again. The idle could be a mixture issue try it at 1.5 turns and turn the stop down, just play around in general with the idle till its slow enough for your liking and richen it up a little bit afterward.
And you think running it wide open with no load wont hurt it?

Status
Not open for further replies.