Starting the Frame

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc Sprocket

*********
Messages
15,677
Reaction score
151
Location
Ontario, Canada
Not too shabby- I love recycling stuff!!!

I see some porosity in your welds. Make sure the steel is relatively clean and rust-free before welding. Take paint off, too.
 

redsox985

Active member
Messages
4,092
Reaction score
12
Location
PA
I would upgrade to grade 5 or higher hardware before I took her out. Other than that, I like the crafty-ness of making your own parts. DIY at its finest.
 

EastCoast

New member
Messages
190
Reaction score
0
Location
Nova Scotia, Canada
If I get the 6.5 hp motor from princess auto they have two 3/4" Centrifugal Chain Clutches 10 or 12 teeth

#1 Bi-directional operation
Up to 13 HP
Sintered metal shoes for the ultimate in proper weight, wear ability, and heat dissipating qualities
10 teeth
#40/41 chain pitch
4" outside dia.
3/4" bore, #40/41 chain pitch

OR

#2 Bi-directional operation
Up to 13 HP
Sintered metal shoes for the ultimate in proper weight, wear ability, and heat dissipating qualities
12 teeth
#35 chain pitch
4" outside dia.
3/4" bore, #35 chain pitch

What one do I want? They are both $59.99.
 

Doc Sprocket

*********
Messages
15,677
Reaction score
151
Location
Ontario, Canada
No doubt! I was into mine Tuesday and was wishing I could score one at that price.

Regarding the clutch, you can use either one. Obviously, #40 chain is stronger. Odds are good the #35 would be fine for you, and has the benefit of allowing a physically smaller rear sprocket. Your call. I'm usually guilty of overengineering things, so I'd go with the #40.
 

redsox985

Active member
Messages
4,092
Reaction score
12
Location
PA
In fact, TS, you will need about the same sized sprockets to get the same gear ratio regardless of chain size. 35 needs more teeth around the clutch which means more on the axle for the same ratio. The only benefit of 35 is that there are many more split sprockets available which make changes much easier.
 

Doc Sprocket

*********
Messages
15,677
Reaction score
151
Location
Ontario, Canada
You're right- you got me on that one.... I was thinking about that last night trying to do the math in my head, but I pumped in a lot of overtime this week and I was ruined... OOPS!

Umm- okay, it's lighter, and at Princess anyway, the components are cheaper... (he says, sinking into his chair a wee bit ;) )
 

EastCoast

New member
Messages
190
Reaction score
0
Location
Nova Scotia, Canada
I was going to use mower wheels and tires. Should I use the smaller front wheels on the front and back or could I beable to use the lager rear wheels on the rear and the smaller front ones on the front?

I am picking up a 6.5hp Honda clone tomorrow.

Oh I also have a question about the rear axle I want to make a live axle (both rear wheels turn under power) but how hard will it be to turn?
 

EastCoast

New member
Messages
190
Reaction score
0
Location
Nova Scotia, Canada
Ok got a new motor sold the other two I had for $50 each so I made $100 and I got them for free I put the $100 towards the new motor and only payed $140 for the new motor.







 

redsox985

Active member
Messages
4,092
Reaction score
12
Location
PA
Electronic ignition? Is there a starter on it or is that just some stuff they put on there?
 

Doc Sprocket

*********
Messages
15,677
Reaction score
151
Location
Ontario, Canada
Electronic ignition? Is there a starter on it or is that just some stuff they put on there?

That just means it uses CDI, or some other technology instead of breaker points.

Sure you can make your own seats! Cut shapes of plywood, pad with foam, upholster with leather or vinyl. Or, you can take one of those contoured plastic stacking chairs with the metal legs, and cut it off the framing. You can even bolster the sides with sheetmetal.

You could use the seat and back support off a weightlifting bench just as it is, if you like. Lotsa options!
 

Doc Sprocket

*********
Messages
15,677
Reaction score
151
Location
Ontario, Canada
They do seem to be less available now than they used to be, I was looking too. You could try contacting all the local schools and asking what they've got available. The legs were pretty notorious for bending and breaking under the abuse of a teenager, and the schools generally wouldn't bother repairing them.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top