Starting the Frame

Status
Not open for further replies.

EastCoast

New member
Messages
190
Reaction score
0
Location
Nova Scotia, Canada
Name SKU Quantity Price Subtotal

Disc Caliper 4760161 $69.99 $69.99

Brake Disc 4760179 $29.99 $29.99

Caliper Mounting Bracket 4760002 $14.99 $14.99

1" W-Series Weld-On Hub 3845211 $5.49 $5.49

1" Shaft Collar 3871365 (6) $2.49 $14.94

10 ft Remote Control Cable 3890492 $26.99 $26.99

Pivot Pin 3890502 $4.19 $4.19
 

Doc Sprocket

*********
Messages
15,677
Reaction score
151
Location
Ontario, Canada
If you are capable of fabrication, you can save yourself some money by using the brakes from a motorcycle or something. I've never been happy with the fact that they want $70 for a laousy mechanical caliper. He//, put it all together and you've got $115+ tax for the whole brake set up- that's just nuts.
 

Doc Sprocket

*********
Messages
15,677
Reaction score
151
Location
Ontario, Canada
You could, but frankly I don't have a lot of faith in the mechanical calipers. A hydro system will out-stop those by a week and a half... You should at least examine the idea of using motorcycle parts. In the example below (my kids' kart) I used the master cylinder, hose, and caliper from a Yamaha Virago. The disc is a sprocket. I didn't want to extend the hydraulic hose so I mounted the master on the framerail and used a cable to actualte it with a pedal. I used a bit of 5/16" steel plate to make the actuator that bolts to the master in place of the original brake handle.
 

Attachments

  • caliper1b.JPG
    caliper1b.JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 107
  • actuator.jpg
    actuator.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 16

Doc Sprocket

*********
Messages
15,677
Reaction score
151
Location
Ontario, Canada
You certainly should. If you have the ability you can save a ton of money, and stop a lot better!!!

The donor bike owes me nothing. I bought it a few years ago for another project. IIRC, I paid either $250 OR $300CDN for it- the brakes have ended up on the kids kart, the engine is going on my kart as soon as I have enough free time to do it.

The book helped reinforce the idea that I could use motorcycle brakes but I did not like the examples they used- attaching a cable to the original brake handle. I can see why they did it, I just didn't like it. To make my own idea work, I took the handle off and traced it into a piece of parper and modified the shape to have an attachment point for the cable. I transferred the design onto steel plate and cut. You will notice in the pic that there's a turnbuckle attached to it- this sets the cable tension. Too much free play and the braking effect is reduced. Too little free play and the brakes drag.

The turnbuckle is a Princess Auto part. Not seen in the photo (added after pic was taken) is a return spring.

The best part is that from start to finish, I never had to bleed the brakes! The master, hose, and caliper came off the bike as one piece, and I managed to get everything rigged and fitted without separating them.
 

EastCoast

New member
Messages
190
Reaction score
0
Location
Nova Scotia, Canada












 

Doc Sprocket

*********
Messages
15,677
Reaction score
151
Location
Ontario, Canada
Woohoo! We got us some TOYZ!!!

Regarding the sprocket sizes- what's your rear tire diameter? If you told us, I forgot.
I see that you got a 10T clutch, so that's 5.4:1. Might be a bit steep. You may need a larger one. To my knowledge, the largest #40 PA carries is 60T.
 

EastCoast

New member
Messages
190
Reaction score
0
Location
Nova Scotia, Canada
I never really picked a tire size yet. That is the only clutch they had for 3/4" Centrifugal Chain Clutch for #40 chain pitch the other one they had was for #35 chain pitch in a 3/4" Centrifugal Chain Clutch. The only other Centrifugal Chain Clutches were 1" and 5/8".

Should I get a smaller or bigger rear drive sprocket ?

Not too sure what the 10T is for or means and never really looked at other ones to see if they had different # on them.

Should I take it back and find a T60 3/4" Centrifugal Chain Clutch for #40 chain pitch?
 

redsox985

Active member
Messages
4,092
Reaction score
12
Location
PA
He's saying you might need a bigger axle sprocket with your 10T (10 tooth) cent. clutch. You probably don't want anymore than a 10 tooth clutch because any more and your ratios probably just won't work.
 

Doc Sprocket

*********
Messages
15,677
Reaction score
151
Location
Ontario, Canada
I am saying you may need a larger axle sprocket.
However- as you haven't selected rear tires yet, it's all academic. I do recall you saying this build was a two-seater, and I think it was for a couple of kids, right? If that's the case, you may not be done shopping yet. You may have to purchase the materials required to build a jackshaft to gear that puppy down quite a bit further. You'd need a length of 3/4" shaft, two pillow block bearings for it, and a couple more sprockets.
Tire size is important for figuring this out, though.
 

EastCoast

New member
Messages
190
Reaction score
0
Location
Nova Scotia, Canada
ok I am not sure about gear ratios and stuff but I know I want alot of bottom end power so it will pull away with the two kids in it and not too fast. Yeah it for my 7 and 4 year old, I might have to take it for a drive or two too just to make sure everything works ok lol.

So I keep the clutch I have but might need a bigger rear axle sprocket?

How big of a tire is too big? What size is good for in fields and hills and on even ground? (off-road)

A bigger front sprocket and smaller rear sprocket will give you more bottom end and the smaller front and bigger rear the more top end(faster)?
 

Doc Sprocket

*********
Messages
15,677
Reaction score
151
Location
Ontario, Canada
A bigger front sprocket and smaller rear sprocket will give you more bottom end and the smaller front and bigger rear the more top end(faster)?

Nope- the other way 'round.

The more I examine this, the more convinced I am that you'll need a jackshaft on that thing to allow enough gear reduction. Don't worry too much about that until you've selected your rear tires- critical for the gearing equation.

For the rear tire size, you would be best to stay on the smaller size, say 13-15" overall diameter. Theoretically, bigger is better offroad, but a larger diameter will rob power and demand even deeper gearing.

Looking at your brakes (excellent score!) you've got access to lawn tractors, right? How about some turf tires, say 15x6.00-6 or in that range for the rears.
 

EastCoast

New member
Messages
190
Reaction score
0
Location
Nova Scotia, Canada
Looking at your brakes (excellent score!) you've got access to lawn tractors, right? How about some turf tires, say 15x6.00-6 or in that range for the rears.


Yeah they will do for now I will upgrade them later on.

I was thinking of using small lawn Tractor tires on the front and some bigger ones on the rear or at least wider on the rear.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top