starting a full rebuild of my go kart engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Free-flowing air intake, exhaust header (straight pipe). Open up the plug gap a bit (0.035-0.040). Larger carb jet (depending on engine demands). Slight increase to timing advance may help. If you want BIG performance gains, you're swapping out internals.

rushking19

Reaction score
I was going to port it but could not find any one to do it, i all ready have a gap in the spark plug i will order a larger main jet for the carb which is a mikuni similar to cv carburetors (constant volacity carburetor), and the rest i will do in the long run

jamyers

Reaction score
Straighter is better, no doubt. Easy enough to make one if you can weld thin metal, all you'd need is 2 flanges and a tube - assuming there's room straight out from the intake port.

rushking19

Reaction score
It's been awhile since I posted but today I got to go kart engine and put it back together and I put on the old carburetor just to test it out and I got a fire up now all I have to do is order the new carb and exhaust and Dan I'm finished.

rushking19

Reaction score
Does anybody know how to make a custom intake I got my gy6 carb for my go card today from on eBay and I've been trying to mount it I knew this would be a problem but I need help.

Please comment!!

rushking19

Reaction score
it t it took me i a long time but I came up with is awesome plan today I spend all day cutting carb mount on my intake so I can get a hose clamp and mount new carburetor and for that you chose I came up with this for electric choke system just take a hand crank charger and connected to the crankshaft so I can charge batteries and get the electric choke to work.

Please comment about what you think about this idea

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
I think it would be simpler to have a manual choke. Two possible problems off the top of my head...

1) The hand crank thing is a crapshoot. It is unregulated, and who knows what its output is. It may not charge your battery worth a dang.

2) Some of these carbs don't use a choke in the conventional sense. They use a starter enricher circuit. Instead of restricting air, they add more fuel. Futhermore, there are some electric "choke" units that require power to be OFF. In other words, no power to the solenoid means you run horribly rich. You must then be sure to find a way to reliably deliver 12v to it, consistently.

rushking19

Reaction score
I know that that's why I will measure how much volts its putting out and it will be connected directly to the crank shaft so when I start the engine it can provide constant energy almost like a charging coil would do and be directly connected to the fuel in richer, I all ready know how it works and I need a constant flow to it and I don't have a battery I was thinking of getting one

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
I will be truly amazed if that little hand crank thingy puts out enough juice to keep the enricher solenoid closed. I will be equally amazed if that same little gizmo doesn't just simply melt down from the speed.

jamyers

Reaction score
Easier to convert the enricher to a manual one, or you can buy them already converted w/ a cable online for $20, iirc.

More reliable, as well.

r_chez_08

Should be in the shop...
Reaction score
Manual choke FTW.
What do you need the battery for? I expect you would be replacing dynamos as often as you would charge the battery! JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.