starting a full rebuild of my go kart engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

rushking19

Reaction score
After a long time of fiddling with it i got it in now all i have to do is cloes the crank case cover and order a fly wheel key and the rest of the parts, but i have one more question can i usegasket maker to seal the crankcase cover it says it is good for sealing oil and the and the crankcase cover does not need to be spaced.
Please leave me any suggestions.

rushking19

Reaction score
can i usegasket maker to seal the crankcase cover it says it is good for sealing oil and the and the crankcase cover does not need to be spaced.
Please leave me any suggestions.

rushking19

Reaction score
but mine was very thin and my crank is still ale to move alitte when i pull on it in the same way as if the gasket was in , so theres no play in the crank.

OzFab

Reaction score
but mine was very thin and my crank is still ale to move alitte when i pull on it in the same way as if the gasket was in , so theres no play in the crank.

That's a contradiction: If the crank moves a little, there's end play. The real question is how much?

Do you still have the original gasket intact or was it destroyed in removal?

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
It's best to use a proper gasket to avoid sealing issues. The surfaces are rarely perfect, and tightening the bolts to the specified torque may not create the desired seal even with the gasket goo. You may then be tempted to overtorque the bolts, which is a bad idea.

You may think you have sufficient end play now, but the bolts are not torqued now- are they? Plus, do you own a dial indicator to TELL you if crank end play is within spec?

Lastly, plain gasket sheet is inexpensive, and gaskets are easy to make if you don't want to spring for a manufactured one. Cheaper still- I have hear people reporting good results using the cardboard from cereal boxes to make gaskets. There's nothing cheaper than free.

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
I've never done it, but it is fibrous, (relatively) thick paper. Not all that far off from gasket material. I have heard good reports. One thing I like to do before installing my homebrew fiber gaskets it to lightly coat both sides with clean engine oil. The concept is that the paper absorbs the oil and swells slightly, helping to seal surface imperfections. No idea if it actually helps, but I make all my own gaskets and haven't had a leak yet.

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
By tracing your side cover. The way that I like to do it, is to lay the cover down, gasket side up. Lay the gasket material over the cover. Hold it from moving with one hand. With the other hand, press the gasket down firmly all over. This will define all the edges. Then, cut it out.

Another way to do it, is to oil the side cover, and just lay it on the gasket. The oil will show on the gasket, just follow the lines.

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
It may well be a pain to set up, for what you'll get. What you'll get if properly set up, is slightly better throttle response throughout the RPM range, due to superior adjustability. Don't expect big gains, your engine is still too stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.