Starter ideas for kt100 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magice

Reaction score
I heard that getting the clutch on and off isn't that easy. I heard oyu have to lap the crankshaft to put a dd sprocket on. Wouldn't that prevent me from putting the clutch on if I got a starter?

I'm pretty sure my battery drill can start it if the engine was bolted to the kart. I think I'm going to try and weld an allen key to a bike freewheel and weld some sort of attachment for the electric drill. Then kickback shouldn't be an issue should it?

oscaryu1

Reaction score
I heard that getting the clutch on and off isn't that easy. I heard oyu have to lap the crankshaft to put a dd sprocket on. Wouldn't that prevent me from putting the clutch on if I got a starter?

I'm pretty sure my battery drill can start it if the engine was bolted to the kart. I think I'm going to try and weld an allen key to a bike freewheel and weld some sort of attachment for the electric drill. Then kickback shouldn't be an issue should it?

If you could somehow modify a Briggs Starter clutch... you wouldn't need to worry about any of that :)

jr dragster T

Reaction score
good luck mod'ing a bike free wheel. Theres threads on one side and nothing on the other. Keep in mine the threads are about 1 1/4 pipe fine thread.

Russ2251

AZUSA:Powered by LAWN-BOY
Reaction score
Some folks are really good at throwin' stuff out there, but when it comes down to it, they can't back it up.
I once had an on-line argument with a guy who said a 2 cycle engine would be 'oil starved' if not run in it's designed verticle or horizontal position and stated he actually knows of at least one engine failure. He knows this because he "read it somewhere".
Obviously, I proved him (and the unknown author) to be dead wrong.

jr dragster T

Reaction score
Russ your are 100% correct, Its not like theres a puddle of oil in a 2 cycle and the crank has to touch the puddle. Its just where the fuel is the oil is. like atomized fuel and oil in the crank case.

Jerryburger

Admiral Annoy
Reaction score
...and back to "Starter Ideas for KT100".... Magice, have you (or anyone else) seen those model airplane starters for the bigger motors? It's a fairly decent sized 12v motor with a soft rubber socket sshaped thing on the end, that you push up against the propeller and hit the button. Once the motor fires you pull the starter away. Maybe something like that, but using Kibble's idea of a n old starter motor.....?

jr dragster T

Reaction score
I think somthing like Jerry is talking about wouldbe VERY ideal.
Power might lack a bit though in those plane starters, but the idea is great. Ed why do you have to be like that?

Magice

Reaction score
...and back to "Starter Ideas for KT100".... Magice, have you (or anyone else) seen those model airplane starters for the bigger motors? It's a fairly decent sized 12v motor with a soft rubber socket sshaped thing on the end, that you push up against the propeller and hit the button. Once the motor fires you pull the starter away. Maybe something like that, but using Kibble's idea of a n old starter motor.....?

Where would I rub the rubber tip? the starter socket thing is very small.. pics

It's like a large allen key

Jerryburger

Admiral Annoy
Reaction score
Crud, I apologize..... I ASSumed there'd be some sort of flywheel or shaft sticking out on the opposite side of the motor. I'm guessing the HORSTMAN part with the fins on it isn't connected directly to the crank. Yamaha did/does make recoil starters for these motors, and I've seen/heard of electric conversions... all require $$$. If I see ANYTHING show up on ebay, etc... I'll let you know.
This shouldn't be that tough!

ed1380

Banned
Reaction score
take the allen wrench and find a socket that size. the take the socket and connect it to the engine through the alen wrench. you get the idea.
then connect a rachet wrench to to the socket. select which direction you need it to turn. and use it as a kick starter. the engine will start and the rachet will freewheel(for lack of better term). remove allen wrench and have a kickass time

ed1380

Banned
Reaction score
well he needs it just for a second. and if you got craftsman, yay for lifetime warranty :arf:
i dont get how it would hit him unless the allen comes out of the socket.

Magice

Reaction score
At that speed it would probably slip right out. Wouldn't that bent the starter key shaft? It isn't supported by anything. If there was a way of knowing it would keep in what would be cool is welding an allen key to a pulley. I'd have to knock it out though because I don't think those are designed to spin at those speeds.

ed1380

Banned
Reaction score
well dont keep the allen key 4 in long. make it so its just long enough to fit in the crank and socket

Magice

Reaction score
Well I ordered a dd sprocket in.. I heard it's hard to swap clutches on the kt100. Apparently you have to lap it, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.