Slingshot

FlyFrog

Reaction score
Hey Denny,
Um...it's not a racecar :auto:
...it's Functional Art :thumbsup:
&
Ya realize that she's only motivated by a ~1 1/2 HP motor, right? :cornut:

How fast are your average 1.5HP gas karts? :stir: (maybe ~5 MPH?) :yawn: :sleeping:
...is there even a such thing as adult size, 1 1/2 HP, gas powered go karts? :smartass:

Don't worry Ima workin' on (in my head anyways) :sifone:
...& collecting parts for a Predator Eater :devil2:
its all gearing, surface and rpm 1 1/5 doesnt mean anything but takeoff speed and if you have a tc you can alter it even more for more speed and takeoff

Functional Artist

Reaction score
The picture of your daughter on the electric version of your daughter looks like she wants to kill you. Badly!
Hey Denny,
My daughter stopped by yesterday :wai:(same one in the pic from ~15 years ago)
...but, she's MUCH happier today ('cause this one is rideable) :thumbsup:

Check out THIS smile :sifone:
...before :ack2:
...& after :bannana:
SAM_1336 (1).JPGSAM_3741 (1).JPG

Functional Artist

Reaction score
its all gearing, surface and rpm 1 1/5 doesnt mean anything but takeoff speed and if you have a tc you can alter it even more for more speed and takeoff
Remember "lead by example" :cheers2:
...& "show us" how fast your 1.5 HP, gas powered kart, with a TC goes :thumbsup:

I threw together a quick video, of a couple of my kids ridin' around on the Slingshot yesterday :popcorn:

This gives a good 3rd person view of it "in action" :sifone:

FlyFrog

Reaction score
Thanks for the reminder, But the example i got it from was i have a gocart with a 5 hp engine and it wont go in grass but on pavment it goes 41 and then i have another with a 9 horse and its a beast in grass but only goes 13 i dont have a tc but my friends do

Last edited:

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Wow. You've been fooling me completely all along. Seeing your kid's size compared to the kart is a real eye opener. Wide angle lens, maybe?
Thought you were building a "mini" Slingshot that was big enough to sit comfortably in, just not as big as a factory one. Here's the opening post:
[ ...so, I guess it would be a mini-Slingshot ;) ]. What I missed was your post #7 that would have shrunk my perception of it:
[ Ima using 1/2" Schedule 40 steel pipe (7/8" OD x 5/8" ID x 1/8" wall ]. I was for some reason assuming 3/4" or even 1" pipe, just didn't really care enough to think about it. Make no mistake though, it changes nothing about my appreciation of some dang good work, and you've done a whole bunch of that. Functional art indeed.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Ok, now I wish I was 30 years younger. And yes she does look in a much better mood. But my mini bike and Gokart can run for days non stop except for gas and oil. Not to mention better for the environment because no one has figured out the recycling of the li-ion battery’s yet.

:bannana::bannana::bannana::bannana::bannana:

Functional Artist

Reaction score
Wow. You've been fooling me completely all along. Seeing your kid's size compared to the kart is a real eye opener. Wide angle lens, maybe?
Thought you were building a "mini" Slingshot that was big enough to sit comfortably in, just not as big as a factory one. Here's the opening post:
[ ...so, I guess it would be a mini-Slingshot ;) ]. What I missed was your post #7 that would have shrunk my perception of it:
[ Ima using 1/2" Schedule 40 steel pipe (7/8" OD x 5/8" ID x 1/8" wall ]. I was for some reason assuming 3/4" or even 1" pipe, just didn't really care enough to think about it. Make no mistake though, it changes nothing about my appreciation of some dang good work, and you've done a whole bunch of that. Functional art indeed.
Um...what would ya call it, except for a mini Slingshot? :sifone:

It's made outta go kart parts (DIYGK don't ya know)
...& 7/8" OD pipe is a little bigger than 3/4"
...but, just a bit smaller than 1" (right in the "sweet spot") :thumbsup:

I was goin' for ease of entry & exit
...& a comfortable ride
...while also, tryin' ta keep 'er kinda compact too :cool:

I think I "nailed it" :2guns:
...it don't have that "clown car look"
...& she seems pretty comfortable ridin' 'er around, in the video (& her little dog too) :bannana:

Thanks, :cheers2:
I remember earlier you were having a hard time "seeing" my vision/version of a mini Slingshot
...I guess ya can "see it" now ;)

Functional Artist

Reaction score
Ok, now I wish I was 30 years younger. And yes she does look in a much better mood. But my mini bike and Gokart can run for days non stop except for gas and oil. Not to mention better for the environment because no one has figured out the recycling of the li-ion battery’s yet.

Yup, she was much happier :wai:

Um...when I tested this battery pack on the Excalibur kart (with the same size motor)
...it took me (3) days (a couple of hours, after work, each day) to complete the test & run the batt pack down :thumbsup:

Check it out, it zips right along

One of the main advantages is that I don't have ta exert any effort, just ta get my kart started (please start baby, please start) :devil2:
...& I never have ta mess with oil changes

* "no one has figured out the recycling of the li-ion battery’s yet."

This doesn't seem like a problem (ta me anyways)
I think it's a HUGE opportunity (millionaire maker) just a waitin' for a solution ;)

Last edited:

Functional Artist

Reaction score
on the back of this is a large pully with a small pully on it, it looks like the large pully has nothing on it, was it for a jackshaft of some sorts or did it keep the belt from slipping off? whats its purpose
That version was motivated by a V8 Chevrolet car starter/motor :thumbsup:
The big pulley, is actually the flywheel from the same V8 Chevy
The starter engaged & turned the flywheel (just like it does to start a car engine)
...which turned a smaller "drive" pulley ('cause they were bolted together)
...which turned a "driven" pulley, attached to the axle (via a V8 Chevy fan belt)

Ya can see most of this in the pics, in post #235 (of this thread) :cheers2:

Functional Artist

Reaction score
Awesome work again FA!! It always amazes me how quite electric is :D
Hey Landuse, where ya been?
...haven't seen ya around much lately 🤔

Thanks! :sifone:

Yup, a bunch of NOISE may be kool at the track :thumbsup:
...but, it's kinda a PITA in your back yard
...or just zippin' around the neighborhood :huh:
...& everyone knows how some neighbors just love them noisy go karts :furious2:

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Hey Landuse, where ya been?
...haven't seen ya around much lately 🤔

Thanks! :sifone:

Yup, a bunch of NOISE may be kool at the track :thumbsup:
...but, it's kinda a PITA in your back yard
...or just zippin' around the neighborhood :huh:
...& everyone knows how some neighbors just love them noisy go karts :furious2:
Not true for where I live in Texas :D

Functional Artist

Reaction score
my mini bike and Gokart can run for days non stop except for gas and oil. Not to mention better for the environment because no one has figured out the recycling of the li-ion battery’s yet.

Um...& also, apples ta oranges
...'cause were discussing the performance of a kart with a 1.5HP electric motor, compared to your kart with a 6.5 HP gas engine, right? :cheers2:

* Are there kart's that came with 1.5HP (~50cc) gas engine's? :popcorn:
...would they even move with a full size person aboard? :unsure:

...& if so, what ya think the top speed would be? :devil2::stir:

Functional Artist

Reaction score
Hey MadPro,
I ordered some "real" voltage reducers (in case my DIY one "fails")
M309 Step Down Power Converter Module ($6.00)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/384404195405
...but, they came packaged in what I believe to be, anti-static plastic packaging
...& I remember a while back where you mentioned "special' precautions (or procedures) when working with stuff packaged, like this :unsure:

Can you explain more about this? :cheers2:
...& why it's a concern? :popcorn:

Attachments

• SAM_3733.JPG
    SAM_3733.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 2
  • SAM_3735.JPG
    SAM_3735.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 2
  • SAM_3734.JPG
    SAM_3734.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 2

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
NUMBER #1, FIRST THING, IMMEDIATELY, ETC. : Do not open that anti-static bag!!! All 4 of those are indeed protective packaging, and not just for you, but also for passing through electromagnetic fields (like at the traffic signal where you're enveloped by it) before you get them.
You need to make a PROPER personal service ground for yourself before you even open one of those bags.
Can a bad ground strap cause electric problems?
A bad ground strap can cause all types of strange electric problems in your car, as we discussed before. If you experience many different electronic problems there is a big chance that there was something wrong with the ground strap.................
Here's the store-bought kind, rather make my own...........Anti-Static Wrist Straps, Wrist Grounding Straps in Stock - ULINE
Answer: C. Professional service technicians use grounding straps to minimize the chances of electrostatic discharge (ESD) during normal computer maintenance work involving electronic devices. These antistatic devices can be placed around the wrists or ankle to ground the technician to the system being worked on. These straps release any static present on the technician's body and pass it harmlessly to ground potential. Surge protectors (Answer A) are used to protect from power surges, not ESD. Screwdrivers (Answer D) will not dissipate ESD. A terrycloth towel (Answer B) will most likely cause electrostatic
I made my last one from 18-2 thermostat wire, jacket removed, both wires completely stripped where it went around my arm. Made them into twisted pair (you never know) and wrapped it twice around the bottom of my bicep. Made it about 8' long, put a gator clip on both (still insulated) wires for grounding wherever. Once you're solidly grounded, tear open the bags and go to work.

Functional Artist

Reaction score
I got the Slingshot out this weekend (with an upgrade in mind)

It currently (He..He..I said currently) is running a 10T drive sprocket & a 72T driven sprocket for a 7.2:1 gear ratio
...& the top speed is ~16 MPH (which ain't bad but, lets see if we can "squeeze' some more speed out of 'er) ;)

I got a 60T sprocket (cleaned up & painted white, ta match the Slingshot) :thumbsup:

So, I commenced ta tearin' 'er apart
...then "swapped out" the 72T (black) sprocket with the 60T (white)
...& also, made up & installed an appropriate length of #35 chain :cheers2:

OK, now let's see how that does :sifone:
SAM_4333.JPG

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
What are the secrets for painting hard-abrased components like sprockets? Since you're doing it, it seems likely you may know something more about it than myself. What kind of prep work and materials and tools for it? What kind of primer like self-etching or flat high-temp? What kind of color coat? What kind of clear coat if any? Any sanding between coats of any of the materials?
Planning for some direct contact of metals on an unrelated project, don't want to immediately redo it for appearance's sake. Nothing I can do to defeat the intelligent morons who always eventually find a way to undo my good work for their own supposed benefit, just have to deal with it and make the work as hardy as possible.