SAM_3684.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 3

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
No bolt holding the upper shock mount.
No bolt holding clutch on.
Cable pulling wrong end of band.
Brake band should not be on clutch due to excessive heating of clutch and band material.
Brake band should not be on clutch incase of chain failure and complete loss of braking.

Functional Artist

Reaction score
No bolt holding the upper shock mount.
No bolt holding clutch on.
Cable pulling wrong end of band.
Brake band should not be on clutch due to excessive heating of clutch and band material.
Brake band should not be on clutch incase of chain failure and complete loss of braking.
Hey Denny,

Wow! Great response! :thumbsup:
...A+ plus (10) Bonus Points :2guns:

Yes, the direction of pull, on the Brake Band is very important (even critical) for it to "function" properly :cornut:

I didn't think about, or even notice, the "issues" that could arise from using the clutch "bell" as the Brake Drum o_O

So, this pic has a few examples of "what not ta do" :cheers2:

* I always meant ta put a couple of Cotter Pins in, ta hold them shocks on
...but, they never moved (toward the ends) Gription? (he..he) :stir:
...so, I never got around to it :huh: (the "squeaky hinge get's greased" type thing) ;)

Functional Artist

Reaction score
The picture of your daughter on the electric version of your daughter looks like she wants to kill you. Badly!
Yup, she was NOT happy :furious2:

IIRC, it was one of those situations like "let daddy take 'er for a test ride first, ta make sure it's safe" :idea2:
...then, I (yup ,it was totally MY fault :ack2:) burnt'ed up the motor on "that' test drive :auto:

Then, after pushing 'er back home
...I was like "well, just sit in it & let's get a pic until I get 'er fixed"
...& that's the "look" I got :mad2:

Functional Artist

Reaction score
Well, I must say my first test ride was a lot of fun. :thumbsup:

The kart handled good ;)
...& the steering "action" is superb :sifone:

Over all the whole ride was super smooth
...the acceleration is good
...& the coil-over shocks really "take the bite" outta the "ride" :cornut:

With this 7.2:1 GR the top speed seems ta be ~15MPH (pretty close to the 16 MPH I predicted)

Next, Ima gonna try-n-squeeze some more speed outta it :wai:
...by raising the GR to maybe 6:1 (by switching the axle sprocket to a 60 tooth)
...or maybe even go faster, by trying a 5.4:1 GR (by switching the axle sprocket to a 54 tooth)

Here's an example of this:

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Maybe it's time to challenge your custom electric knowhow................How about getting that top end higher than 15mph without losing anything off the line with a ratio change?..............Make a shift-on-the-fly 2-speed setup to put on one of your electric projects.
Or????????? I've never seen a CVT on an electric setup................

Functional Artist

Reaction score
Maybe it's time to challenge your custom electric knowhow................How about getting that top end higher than 15mph without losing anything off the line with a ratio change?..............Make a shift-on-the-fly 2-speed setup to put on one of your electric projects.
Or????????? I've never seen a CVT on an electric setup................
Well, I've thought about a (2) speed or even multiple speed set up ;)
...but, it certainly wouldn't be simple or cheap
...& I'm not even sure how beneficial or effective, it would end up being?

Examples:
Teslas are the fastest electric cars in mass production
...& their NOT multi-speed (& they have (literally) TONS & TONS & TONS of $$$$$$ to play with)
...also, even the Zero (electric) motorcycles aren't multi-speed, either

Electric motors just don't work like that

Um...have ya ever seen (or even heard) of Grimsel? :auto: (World Record! 0-100kph in 1.513 seconds)

She doesn't use any gears
...just PURE POWER :sifone:

Here is another KOOL! video, with some technical info, about her :banana:

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
go faster, by trying a 5.4:1 GR (by switching the axle sprocket to a 54 tooth)
Point's not about a single speed 4-wheel drive monster motor, it's about you getting the extra top end of a taller gear ratio as you described, and if it wouldn't cost any acceleration speed off the line then why is the gear so short in the first place.
I believe a taller ratio on the electric motor would work the same as on a fossil-fuel engine, acceleration off the line would suffer. Therefore only a transmission could deliver both the low end power and high end speed. That's the challenge.
Maybe a pair of matching inverse step pulleys from an old drill press, moved on the fly by a beefed up Shimano derailleur? What do you think the losses of a belt-drive would be percentage-wise?
I've never seen a CVT on an electric setup.
Is that because it's not worth the losses of a belt-drive?

Functional Artist

Reaction score
Point's not about a single speed 4-wheel drive monster motor, it's about you getting the extra top end of a taller gear ratio as you described, and if it wouldn't cost any acceleration speed off the line then why is the gear so short in the first place.
I believe a taller ratio on the electric motor would work the same as on a fossil-fuel engine, acceleration off the line would suffer. Therefore only a transmission could deliver both the low end power and high end speed. That's the challenge.
Maybe a pair of matching inverse step pulleys from an old drill press, moved on the fly by a beefed up Shimano derailleur? What do you think the losses of a belt-drive would be percentage-wise?

Is that because it's not worth the losses of a belt-drive?
I just don't think ya totally understand the sichum-ation :huh: Motors & Engines are very different animals :thumbsup:

Gasoline Engines have a very narrow "power band" (that's why a clutch or torque convertor doesn't even engage until what? like 1,500 RPM's):ack2:
...so, them first ONE THOUSAND FIVE HUNDERED RPM's are totally WASTED...a total waste of time & energy...right? :devil2:

Where as Electric Motors are basically variable speed (with full power available) from 0 RPM's (with 100% torque) all the way to full speed (usually 3,000 to 5,000 RPM's)

* Also, these electric motor (kits) used in EV's (from bicycles to cars) aren't like the handi-cap karts at Walmart :stir:
...where ya push a button & just "putter" around at (1) "set" speed :yawn:
Think of 'em like your hand-held, battery powered drill, on steroids :smiley_omg:
Ya can drill, from 1 RPM all the way thru full speed, can't ya? (try that with a gas powered drill) :roflol:

Do ya think there would any benefits, from adding any kind of a multi-speed trans, to your drill?

IMO, for most electric vehicles, once ya establish a "proper" (as per specific requirements) "set up" (motor, GR, wheels etc.) ya don't really need a multi-speed transmission 😉

garth66

Reaction score
Do ya think there would any benefits, from adding any kind of a multi-speed trans, to your drill?
Uh, yeah... My Dewalt electric drill driver has 2 speeds. 1 = low speed, high torque for driving screws. 2 = high speed, but lower torque, for drilling holes. Although I agree with most here that there's no need for multiple gears on a kart, unless you're building some kind of rock crawler that needs some very high torque low speed advantage as well as high speed running capability that multiple gears would provide. Just my 2-cents.

Functional Artist

Reaction score
Uh, yeah... My Dewalt electric drill driver has 2 speeds. 1 = low speed, high torque for driving screws. 2 = high speed, but lower torque, for drilling holes. Although I agree with most here that there's no need for multiple gears on a kart, unless you're building some kind of rock crawler that needs some very high torque low speed advantage as well as high speed running capability that multiple gears would provide. Just my 2-cents.
Um, that's a bit different
...'cause ya don't use "both" of the available gear ratios, on the same job
(ya don't start drilling in "low & then switch to "high" while still drilling, to gain a speed advantage)

So, IMO the same situation applies, with your (or anyone's) drill
..."once ya establish the "proper setting" (low or high) as per specific material requirements, ya don't really need a multi-speed transmission" :thumbsup:

garth66

Reaction score
Um, that's a bit different
...'cause ya don't use "both" of the available gear ratios, on the same job
(ya don't start drilling in "low & then switch to "high" while still drilling, to gain a speed advantage)

So, IMO the same situation applies, with your (or anyone's) drill
..."once ya establish the "proper setting" (low or high) as per specific material requirements, ya don't really need a multi-speed transmission" :thumbsup:
TOTALLY AGREE! I was merely sharing an example of when/why someone might want a multi speed transmission with an electric motor. Certainly NOT to shift while driving. But only if the vehicle were being used in two extremely different situations. For example, an off-road electric buggy may use a high speed gear for road use, then a low speed gear for high-torque slow rock crawling activities.

Another possible use case for changeable gearing may be if kids and adults may be driving the kart. Use the high speed ratio when the adults are playing, but lock it in a lower speed mode when the kids are going to drive. Then again, the same thing may be able to be handled with some kind of governor or rev-limiter, but the gearbox solution seems simpler. Just thinking out loud.

Functional Artist

Reaction score
Now, that the kart is pretty much complete, I noticed that the rear of the "cock pit" area, sits just a bit lower than it does, further toward the front
...& it seems to "sag" even more (probably ~1/2") when I get in it (or climb aboard) :huh:

So, I switched the (rear) spring with a "bigger" one (~1" longer)
...& it has a "beefier" lookin' spring, on it too (supposedly 750 lbs. rated) ;)

Yup, that "looks better :2guns:
SAM_3696.JPGSAM_3703.JPG

Attachments

• SAM_3692.JPG
    SAM_3692.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 1
  • SAM_3695.JPG
    SAM_3695.JPG
  • SAM_3697.JPG
    SAM_3697.JPG
  • SAM_3701.JPG
    SAM_3701.JPG
  • SAM_3702.JPG
    SAM_3702.JPG

Functional Artist

Reaction score
I ordered (& received) a 60T sprocket & a 54T sprocket :thumbsup::cheers2:
I think Ima gonna "go for the gusto" ;):sifone:
...& jump right to/try the 54T :devil2::stir:

So, we'll go from a 7.2:1 gear ratio (top speed ~14 MPH) :yawn::sleeping:
..."up to" a 5.4:1 gear ratio (new top speed, should be 20+) :cool::banana:

Also, I had ta pick up a car from the Toledo Police Impound Lot a couple of days ago :innocent::surrender:
...& saw a wrecked Slingshot :(:cry:
...they seem ta "fold up" pretty easily :huh: :ack2:
SAM_3726.JPGSAM_3724.JPGSAM_3725.JPG

Attachments

• SAM_3729.JPG
    SAM_3729.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • SAM_3727.JPG
    SAM_3727.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • SAM_3730.JPG
    SAM_3730.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • SAM_3732 (1).JPG
    SAM_3732 (1).JPG
    3 MB · Views: 0

Functional Artist

Reaction score
Wow! 20 mph! That’s almost the speed of light! Better hold on there sparky!
Hey Denny,
Um...it's not a racecar :auto:
...it's Functional Art :thumbsup:
&
Ya realize that she's only motivated by a ~1 1/2 HP motor, right? :cornut:

How fast are your average 1.5HP gas karts? :stir: (maybe ~5 MPH?) :yawn: :sleeping:
...is there even a such thing as adult size, 1 1/2 HP, gas powered go karts? :smartass:

Don't worry Ima workin' on (in my head anyways) :sifone:
...& collecting parts for a Predator Eater :devil2: