• OFF TOPIC fun forum - NO politics - NO religion - NO jerks. It's not complicated. Thanks!

Quick bits

karl

Reaction score
Nice Karl! Geeze it almost seems we (tractor guys) need to make our own tractor thread! Lol.

That will be a nice upgrade for you :thumbsup:

Thanks guys, It's a much needed upgrade, should make the tractor way more useful. Between that and the motor swap, should I post it on a die hard Cub Cadet forum and see if I get banned ? :roflol:

Im down for a tractor thread, always tinkering with them.

I am thinking of giving my bro the 20hp kohler magnum opposed twin , for his 582, from my 1811 cub cadet hydro drive, with hydro lift. Pretty much a 682 IH cub made by MTD with leftover IH parts, And replacing it with a 22hp kohler command 674cc V-twin I am putting together, and rebuilding/ restoring a swiss cheese original cutter deck, so I can use it as my main grass cutter.

Attachments

• 20200717_210742.jpg
    20200717_210742.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 9

Brianator

Gettin' er done!
Reaction score
Wow man that's a solid fleet you have!

Tractor thread is up and running in the "other builds" section thanks to BGK! Well thanks to me too I guess for suggesting it! Lol

Now onto some "meat and potatoes"....

Tired of struggling with full jerry cans and spilling gas? Me too! So I came up with my own "filling station" using a $20 low psi fuel pump, some hose, a fuel filter, a jerry can, a 12v battery and a momentary contact push button switch! I build the shelf and bracket above it just for this and I have to say it works awesome! I already topped up the Bolens with it as it's first test! Lol. I've already decided that i'm going to move the "switch" under the shelf, that way I can monitor the fuel level while holding the button, I just threw it up to test the system out quick.

Attachments

• 20200728_193954.jpg
    20200728_193954.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 5
  • 20200728_200109.jpg
    20200728_200109.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 1

mckutzy

Reaction score
I like the gas station... That's a cool idea..

I also like that gas cap... Buddy of mine on my tank soldering thread, he would like another as his is starting to crack and was sun damaged...

Brianator

Gettin' er done!
Reaction score
I like the gas station... That's a cool idea..

I also like that gas cap... Buddy of mine on my tank soldering thread, he would like another as his is starting to crack and was sun damaged...

Thanks! I originally wanted one of those "flo and go" nozzles but they're overpriced in my opinion so I came up with a "plan".... lol.

I think the Tec snowblower fuel caps are the same size and threads I'll check later when i'm home.

mckutzy

Reaction score
I have one of those flow-n-go gas siphon pumps... was not too bad for refueling when in a confines of a small van(A job I worked at had a truck mount compressor, real pain to get at with a large Jerry can). I keep forgettin I have it.. but it does work good....

But why not a handier station to tinker with....

Kartorbust

Reaction score
So I'm now in a bit of a predicament possibly. I guess a co-worker of my dad's has a VW air cooled dune buggy they need to get rid of at a cousin's barn. I guess their uncle got it as payment for installing an egress window sometime ago. Long story short, it's been sitting for the last 15 years and they need to get rid of it. Price tag? FREE! Just need to go there and trailer it out. Should get pictures of it some time this week or weekend. So either my ST2 project gets shelved and I pursue this dune buggy, or I do both and maybe flip the dune buggy or maybe keep it. My wife wanted me to build a 2 seater, but I wanted to keep it simple and build a single seater. So maybe she'll warm up to the dune buggy idea and my single seater project? Can't ask her since her phone is off while at work. If it runs with minimal work needed that's a win. Plus it has the 4 speed transaxle. Not sure if it's a home built tube type or a Manx fiberglass one. All I know is, it's a VW fan cooled dune buggy.

NewbCarter

Reaction score
Some practice with basic stick electrodes before more advanced stuff ... id say its passable .

Attachments

• 116589949_1689090414599960_6904283658391434358_n.jpg
    116589949_1689090414599960_6904283658391434358_n.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 1

mckutzy

Reaction score
Kartorbust - Well... as you know... less work is always better... but If you have a space for it...you can always get rid of it later....

I reckon gas is somewhat cheap in you area????

Kartorbust

Reaction score
Kartorbust - Well... as you know... less work is always better... but If you have a space for it...you can always get rid of it later....

I reckon gas is somewhat cheap in you area????

87 octane 10% Ethanol is about $1.80-$2.14 per gallon. Ethanol free 91 is about $2.50 per gallon. In this stuff I'd run the ethanol free just to make it less of a hassle. I'll wait for the pictures to arrive before I make the final decision. Space may end up being an issue so either need to buy a house with a large garage or get a HFT shed in a box for it. My dad will store it at his new place, but he's lacking the room too and I feel badly. I may end up just letting someone else take it too.

Kartorbust

Reaction score
Im not familiar with that naming scheme, its a Rutile-celulose 2,5mm electrode. Ran it at 75A.

Didn't realize you were in Croatia. E6013 is American Welding Society nomenclature for a rutile potassium coated electrode for mild steel with about a 60,000psi strength. I'm not familiar with the nomenclature outside of the states. Do tell on that I'm curious to know more about it.

NewbCarter

Reaction score
Four basic electrode types you can get here ... Rutile , Rutile-celulose , Celulose and Basic . In most places they just list the name , and have the details needed on the box . Example .. ones i use literally just say Rutile-celulose , 2,5mm. Then you have the specifics printed on the box , polarity , tensile strength , reccomended current setting and the alloying elements listed.

They do use ISO standardized markings , but i have no idea what this one would be called , i would have to double check. :surrender:

EDIT : You were correct , under your nomenclature it is indeed an E6013 , which would be a 2560-A under HRN (croatian standardized nomenclature ) and E 42 0 RC 11 under ISO standards.

mckutzy

Reaction score
Kartorbust-Ahh good to know... I was referring to the expended gas picking it up.... But I get what your saying...

Holy cow $.88/L /CAD... Thats fricken extreamly cheap for premium....
Here its equivalent to $5.14/gal CAD ($3.85/gal USD)

Kartorbust

Reaction score
I have no idea how much that is going to cost. It's on some farm in Wisconsin. No idea if it's close to Hudson or Eau Claire. My dad will have to grab it. But I'll be making the final call once I see the pictures of it and talk to my wife about it. It was a sour of the moment type thing to see if I was interested. Being that it's a manual transmission, only my dad and myself could realistically drive it since we're the only ones that know the three pedal dance.

Edit

So my wife said yes to the Dune Buggy and my ST2 scratch build. Have to get a house first before I purchase more buggy stuff. I definitely lucked out!

And my Gearbox showed up for the ST2 build as well today.

Last edited:

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
What do you use for coolant in your vehicles? Universal? Factory Fill? G-05?

My Ford uses Specialty Green (dark green) but Im pretty sure it is a PHOAT coolant (Phosphated Hybrid Organic Acid Technology).

I plan on completely draining and filling, but decided to go with Valvoline Zerex Asian Blue. Trans fluid is red, so i picked blue on the coolant. I'm pretty sure that Asian Blue (or Red) is most similar to Ford's Specialty (dark) Green, which is same as Mazda FL22 Green Coolant.

Just curious as to what other people use. Seems like universal stuff is not really an issue as long as you change it as per directions for the specific fluid you use.

And why do they call it coolant? In hot places, can you not just run water through the radiator?