[PAFR]: Camshaft Edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreeRunner15

=======
Reaction score
As they say around here.."He's Pulling a FreeRunner" move. (PAFR)
Disclaimer:Don't do this.This process requires special tools and . Good Near-precise measurements are a lways a requirement for welding.I,myself do stick welding while grinding is also necessary for this .

Well at first I did what is called a "Re-Grind "...
https://s14.postimg.io/86qaewrmp/grindd.jpg
but then I noticed and thought to myself...
":/ ... Well darn. This is a non hemi camshaft. I can't use this ". and it looked so nice too.

So i grabbed the stock hemi cam I had laying around and re-ground it a few times.
Gave the exhaust a little more duration and a tad more lift to relieve all burnt fuel and gave the intake some lift to bring in more air/fuel/power mix mainly for the low rpms:
https://s16.postimg.io/4y3iu3yat/good_Cam.jpg

a little more thinking later and thinking I just want to go all out for power and low end torque. To GET them wheels spinnin'. So i reground for a bit more lift :
https://s12.postimg.io/ufh6vg2t9/20160907_144548.jpg
Now that should equal more than .320" lift. I'm gonna need dual valve springs-at least 36pounders. I suppose I could use my current 26's but I can't rev too high, don't want to risk "valve bounce" which is different than "valve float" for y'all that don't know.

I had clearanced .020" more space than the .290 needed and now i have to re-clearance the block and grind off some more of the crankshaft.
Now off I go! To do some clearancing. I needed an oil change anyways.
https://s9.postimg.io/bzqh7391b/20160831_184934.jpg
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Page 10. Post 181. Cam Project complete.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmAPnDMFwYU
------------------------------------------------------------------

Attachments

• grindd.jpg
    grindd.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 18
  • good_Cam.jpg
    good_Cam.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 20160907_144548.jpg
    20160907_144548.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 20160831_184934.jpg
    20160831_184934.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 22
Last edited by a moderator:

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
Dude you gotta polish the crap out of those cam lobes. Smooth as a woman. Keep us informed, I want to see if this is possible.

mckutzy

Reaction score
Of course it did.... he went 58mph....... now he wants ..... well go for.... like and even 65.......

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

ezcome-ezgo

G'me sumthin to write on
Reaction score
Thumbnails of pics that are the size of thumbnails. Is there anything FR does that will not drive you crazy?

FreeRunner15

=======
Reaction score
:( it's saddening when you have to un-grind lift from a camshaft :/
Still haven't reached coil-bind but I will save that for another day. around .360" folks!

mckutzy

Reaction score
Really..... and thats the sad part........ gee I hate to see whats the serious part is....... OHHHH nooooo........

:/

FreeRunner15

=======
Reaction score
Really..... and thats the sad part........ gee I hate to see whats the serious part is....... OHHHH nooooo........

:/

I know, rightttt. The Long Time making Perfection for this engine size!
>: D AGHHHHH
Seriously though. I'm almost done.
..and for you beginners... research "hardfacing".

mckutzy

Reaction score
OH Iam familiar with hard facing....... Its kinda of a skill to do it right........

As per you skills...... Care to elaborate on what you did to "hard face" what ever your trying to do.....

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
We're in the presence of great knowledge and experience here for you that don't know......:rolleyes:

Just don't ask him to open a can of Denatured Alcohol for you.

FreeRunner15

=======
Reaction score
OH Iam familiar with hard facing....... Its kinda of a skill to do it right........

As per you skills...... Care to elaborate on what you did to "hard face" what ever your trying to do.....

Melting a powder and spraying it on the lobe resulting in a much "hard"er sur"face" than original.
I will not further the details.
That and much more detail is required in re-grinding a camshift.( I am done explaining why This shall not be attempted)

We're in the presence of great knowledge and experience here for you that don't know......:rolleyes:

Just don't ask him to open a can of Denatured Alcohol for you.

O-kay. Umm..where to begin here..
Woww, this is a great topic here.. denatured alcohol.
Can I ust say Discalimer: Dont do this without A LOT of education with Air/Fuel Mixtures of ethanol/methanol .

mckutzy

Reaction score
OH boy.........Expert rightttt......

Case hardening- Case-hardening or surface hardening is the process of hardening the surface of a metal object while allowing the metal deeper underneath to remain soft, thus forming a thin layer of harder metal (called the "case") at the surface. (In this case they use flame, induction, nitride,chemicals to make a surface hard) For ex. Kasenit Surface Hardening Compound, is a popular choice...

Hardfacing- Hardfacing is a metalworking process where harder or tougher material is applied to a base metal. It is welded to the base material, and generally takes the form of specialized electrodes for arc welding or filler rod for oxyacetylene and TIG welding. Powder metal alloys are used in (PTA) also called Powder plasma welding system and Thermal spray processes like HVOF, Plasma spray, Spray and Fuse, etc.

......And ya you should further the details.... Howabout put that money where your mouth is....

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
Yeah Freerunner, This is not OMB where you get banned for sharing good info that may or may not be unsafe. If you have some method that we all can learn from feel free to share.
I am sure we are big enough to handle whatever you got.

Status
Not open for further replies.