Honda GC160 Help with throttle

Rat

Reaction score
You have the same engine as mine. If you can look for the manual throttle control lever on ebay or somewhere. That way it'll be just like any other small engine. Then just put a spring so it returns to idle after loosening nut.
Far as I can see he used the governor linkage as the manual choke linkage rod.

His issue is most probably a bad intake gasket, especially even more likely if the carb was removed for cleaning

Mike12656

Reaction score
I disconnected the governor (eventually a complete governor delete)
The choke still operates as before
Its the wire with the loop on it towards the front of the carburetor
All I did was put a spring on the butterfly in an opposite direction of the throttle cable which is also attached to the butterfly
Kept it simple

jmaack

Reaction score
Far as I can see he used the governor linkage as the manual choke linkage rod.

His issue is most probably a bad intake gasket, especially even more likely if the carb was removed for cleaning
I was trying to look at the pics almost looked like he linked throttle directly to governor rod solidly. Which of course does nothing but bypass it. It isn't the best engine to use but it is a solid engine.

Rat

Reaction score
I was trying to look at the pics almost looked like he linked throttle directly to governor rod solidly. Which of course does nothing but bypass it.
I actually had to look again because I thought he had spring loaded the choke butterfly wide open.

From what I can tell he used the gov link rod to throttle spring, I can see where that may have thrown you though

Mike12656

Reaction score
The governor lever is no longer connected to the butterfly I disconnected it
The manual choke is untouched so it works same as before
In the pictures the return throttle spring is connected to a 6/32 wing nut and bolt it pulls the engine back to idle from the butterfly
The throttle cable is fastened down with a cable holder and then fastened to butterfly with a cable stop so it pulls on butterfly to give it gas
The extra spring in the valve cover pulls on the throttle cable so it does interfere with long piece on the butterfly I found it binding at that point on the long piece of the butterfly and added the spring to stop it
Does anyone know to set the idler screw so the engine will start and idle without engaging the clutch
It wont start with butterfly all the way to the right
As I said the idle screw screwed all the way in is stoping the engine from starting but if I put the blade of a screwdriver between the idle screw and the butterfly it starts with no problem but then its idling too much and the clutch is engaged
I may have to replace the idler screw with a longer screw and adjust it slowly and precisely so the engine will run and idle without engaging the clutch
There must a “sweet spot” some where!

Any suggestions would be helpful

in hidesight I should tried to find a linkage for this engine but I think what have will work as jerri-ringed as it is

Rat

Reaction score
The governor lever is no longer connected to the butterfly I disconnected it
The manual choke is untouched so it works same as before
In the pictures the return throttle spring is connected to a 6/32 wing nut and bolt it pulls the engine back to idle from the butterfly
The throttle cable is fastened down with a cable holder and then fastened to butterfly with a cable stop so it pulls on butterfly to give it gas
The extra spring in the valve cover pulls on the throttle cable so it does interfere with long piece on the butterfly I found it binding at that point on the long piece of the butterfly and added the spring to stop it
Does anyone know to set the idler screw so the engine will start and idle without engaging the clutch
It wont start with butterfly all the way to the right
As I said the idle screw screwed all the way in is stoping the engine from starting but if I put the blade of a screwdriver between the idle screw and the butterfly it starts with no problem but then its idling too much and the clutch is engaged
I may have to replace the idler screw with a longer screw and adjust it slowly and precisely so the engine will run and idle without engaging the clutch
There must a “sweet spot” some where!

Any suggestions would be helpful

in hidesight I should tried to find a linkage for this engine but I think what have will work as jerri-ringed as it is
I've said it twice I WONT REPEAT THIS AGAIN!!

1. MISSING AIR FILTER
2. BAD GASKET/AIR LEAK
3. PLUGGED UP PILOT JET

Mike12656

Reaction score
RLS
Checked for a bad gasket/leak there wasn’t any leaks
Pilot jet is fine have not had the carburetor off and it was working with the governor hooked up

I will have to adapt a cone air filter because the air box won’t fit or it will get the way of operation of the throttle cable and spring

no reason to get angry I am just looking for some answers

Rat

Reaction score
RLS
Checked for a bad gasket/leak there wasn’t any leaks
Pilot jet is fine have not had the carburetor off and it was working with the governor hooked up
What are the odds that what you think is the idle stop is in fact the rev limit adjustment for the gov? I've seen some really wonky set ups so despite seeming like a really dumb question... I can guarantee it is in fact possible. Beyond that literally nothing else makes any reasoble amount of sense
I will have to adapt a cone air filter because the air box won’t fit or it will get the way of operation of the throttle cable and spring
This is where just swapping the carb out for a Hauyi and a stage 1 kart intake kit solves a lot of issues.
Screenshot_20220811-015014_Chrome.jpg
What I'm curious is what that is going on just below the front of the carb thats bracketed off of where the airbox would be...if its the fuel tank its worth relocating it
(youd have no choice with a Hauyi because they are gravity fed carbs)

Im also wondering what the screws are I've marked as 1 (below the maybe not idle stop) & 2 in your pic are?

In not angry at you specifically
(I just had the worst day of my life in a few decades for a personal reason. I am in dark place and would likely punch my own mother in the face just for trying to be funny)

I am however a little annoyed with you because I'm not sure I saw prior mention of checking the carb, and you don't seem to grasp the sensitive inner working of any carburetor big or small that extends well beyond "nah the jets aren't plugged".

There are a few passages that could be blocked and causing problems that you'd have absolutely no way to verify or rule out if you haven't had the carb off.

Just get a sheet of roll gasket from autozone, advanced auto, napa, O'Reillys, doesn't matter where...and yank the carb, for a proper full work up. Last time I got roll gasket, I redid 3 side covers, 4 intake gaskets, 2 valve covers... it goes a long way if you stage you pieces to minimize wastage.

Rat

Reaction score
Get it started leave it alone letting it run for a minute or two, then turn the idle stop screw out till the idle drops... keep turning till it begins to get choppy and sounds like it might stall and turn it back in a quarter turn. If it smooths out after 30-45 seconds leave it, if it's still rough turn it in another quarter.

That's ANY carb be it one on a Predator 420, the 2 carbs on a 1970 Honda SL175, a skidoo, or for that matter a Holley or a Webber...not just your GC160 having an attitude problem

Mike12656

Reaction score
Sorry you having a bad day or bad week
First of all my attitude with small engines is don’t mess with it if its running
Second is I am not knowledgeable about small engines
I almost fixed the engine on my old Snapper RER
I tried fixing a bend valve that turned into a disaster it never ran again-I ending getting a used newer model since the one I worked on had other problems too
Generally I am not good with small engines but I will try on occasion to
fix them if I can
I think with this engine I got a some what of limited grasp of whats going on
I was just helping out a friend and I know I may have bit off more than I can chew
I was trying to save him some money and jerri-rigged it to work
Thats all-I hate to tell him I can’t fix it since I have invested two weeks into it and I know he wants it back
If it was mine I would put money into it probably starting with an engine that fits better so as to avoid problems I had with this engine-thats kinda where I at
I understand your frustration with me but I am not that adept at working on this engine or small engines in general
I do what I can do
All I know it was running fine when I got and feel I’m closing in on making run again and be done with it
Cause he has another one with a Tecumseh he wants to me to look at and if the Tecumseh is bad I will go for a Harbour Freight Preditor 212 as replacement engine
I kind put myself in a bind and now I have to do it-I may be over my head with this…
Getting back to the engine at hand
As far as I can tell #1 is idler screw and I dont what screw # 2 is for
maybe to control one of the jets in carburetor I don’t know
I will try adjusting the carburetor as you said by getting engine and then trying to set the idle
Thanks

Karttekk

Reaction score
Mike, I wouldn't be ashamed to tell the owner you aren't able to figure it out. I give you a lot of credit for hanging with it as long as you have. In my opinion, if you're struggling with a Honda, the Tecumseh will be an even worse nightmare. Just tell him you gave it your best, tell him to find a Honda clone similar to a GX model instead of a GS model. It will literally take you 5 minutes to install the throttle cable. After you're both done riding the kart with the better engine, split a six pack and laugh it off.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
That is some good solid advise. Unfortunately you had gotten steered in a bad direction by someone who is not familiar with these engines either. Karl gave you the best advice he actually works on these things and knows his stuff. You got slickered by a fast talker. My advise is to put the governor back on and relook at Karl’s advise about buying the proper plate to hook up a throttle.

• Haha
Reactions: Rat