Honda GC160 Help with throttle

Mike12656

Reaction score
Hi everyone I just joined the forum and I am working on friends Yerf dog go kart
Took off the old Tecumseh and got Honda GC 160 from my neighbor to put on go cart I think I was off a pressure washer
I am having a problem it reving too and engaging the clutch
I took off the old throttle plate from the Tecumseh and mounted it on the Honda with brackets I fabricated —-see photos
The other thing I drilled a hole in governor and I made a linkage to control the throttle
I’m afraid that was the wrong place to hook it to
Photo1–throttle plate from Tecumseh monting on Honda
Photo2-linkage I made going to governor
Photo3-untouched carburetor set up on Honda -wondering if I hook up throttle to carburetor directly

Attachments

• 82D9F349-6486-4727-B554-A86E0E51E287.jpeg
    82D9F349-6486-4727-B554-A86E0E51E287.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 14
  • 5B8660EF-59E3-40D9-A5FD-08B8FF29AC54.jpeg
    5B8660EF-59E3-40D9-A5FD-08B8FF29AC54.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 14
  • 6D22F0FE-CC63-484E-A594-F136BA5ED112.jpeg
    6D22F0FE-CC63-484E-A594-F136BA5ED112.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 14

Rat

Reaction score
First thing that come to mind is the idle stop screw.
This is a been there done that for me although for me it was using a stock type carb after a governor delete but still using the springs and linkage to control the throttle, so I know it could be any number of things.

It would be far less of a headache to just delete the governor and set up a simpler linkage system that's not a hodgepodge of mismatched and handmade bits

1. You took an assembly from one engine and put it on another which is very likely to have a different idle setting.

2. It's possible the linkage from the gov to carb is too short to close the throtle as far as it should.

3. The linkage rod could be binding (check the Z bends for snagging)

4. You didn't specify what the tecumseh was (ohv/L-head aka flathead) so it's possible that the throttle geometry is entirely different and just not playing nice all the way around, and even if the tecumseh was an OHV this could still be the situation.

5. Governor linkage could be binding or too short or too long causing the throttle to over respond accordingly though I think this one would lead to surging/hunting rpm speed.

Mike12656

Reaction score
Well Honda engine is a good fit except the muffler is backwards compared to old Tecumseh 6 hp OHV
It faces the seat but that can be remedied no problem there!
Maybe I should eliminate the throttle plate altogether it was on the Tecumseh in a vertical fashion and I mounted it horizontally on the Honda—I used it basically because I wanted the spring action provided by the throttle plate to pull the gas pedal back —now I wonder if I it needed the extra spring considering the pedal has its own spring?
Hooking to the governor has made all kinds of problems especially that the engine won’t idle and disengage the clutch it really doesn’t work!
I would be interested in the throttle cable being hooked to the carburetor directly with or without the throttle plate from the Tecumseh—I kind of over though it when I came up with mounting plate idea and spent quite bit of time making the brackets for the throttle plate which maybe overkill
More things to shake loose!
Now I’d be up for having the throttle cable going directly to carburetor eliminating the governor etc
Maybe you just go into little more detail about that?
Thanks
Mike

Mike12656

Reaction score
Kartekk
I saw that video but the Honda engine I have did come with a throttle plate as you can see it in photos I provided!

Mike12656

Reaction score
“This is a been there done that for me although for me it was using a stock type carb after a governor delete but still using the springs and linkage to control the throttle, so I know it could be any number of things.

It would be far less of a headache to just delete the governor and set up a simpler linkage system that's not a hodgepodge of mismatched and handmade bits”

I am leaning towards what RLS is talking about above
All I need is some more info on what hes done in the past
More of a step by step instructions

Mike12656

Reaction score
He has another kart with a Tecumseh 6 hp OHV (same engine as this one) and I’m going replace it with a Harbour Freight 212 cc which will be easier to do
Thought I get hard one (Honda) done first but its taking a long time to work out the kinks!!
I was surprised when my neighbor offered the Honda GC 160 it runs great and starts on the first pull GREAT LITTLE ENGINE!
Got to made it work!

Mike12656

Reaction score
Hopefully I get step by step instructions on the throttle cable
Cause the way it set up now is not working

Mike12656

Reaction score
RLS
Could you please give me more info on how you hooked up throttle and disconnected governor lever

Rat

Reaction score
“This is a been there done that for me although for me it was using a stock type carb after a governor delete but still using the springs and linkage to control the throttle, so I know it could be any number of things.

It would be far less of a headache to just delete the governor and set up a simpler linkage system that's not a hodgepodge of mismatched and handmade bits”

I am leaning towards what RLS is talking about above
All I need is some more info on what hes done in the past
More of a step by step instructions
Something like this...

Rat

Reaction score
RLS
Could you please give me more info on how you hooked up throttle and disconnected governor lever
I didn't run the stock type aftermarket carb for very long before I decided to make an intake runner to a motorcycle carb instead... there's a variety of linkage set ups out there and nearly all have some form of rod linkage to connect the carb to another piece with the throttle return spring that you hook the cable itself too.

Also there's no redundancy to multiple throttle return springs... the one closest to the carb doesn't pull the cable as much as it just steadys the throttle buttefly from flapping around uncontrolled if you've got extra cable slack or God forbid snap a cable.

As for governors go, it's not exactly safe to just disconnect them and leave them in the case due to having unlimited rpm you risk the plastic governor gear exploding and tearing up your engines inards, or worse breaking free of any tie back methos and end up with the steel internal rod end in the crank.

I always do a complete delete before absolutely anything else... I refuse to use them. Any holes this leaves in the case get hit with the smallest tap that will cut good threads (typically M6) and plugged externally with a bolt

Last edited:

Mike12656

Reaction score
So it not wise to disconnect the governor
Should I leave governor lever in place not touching the linkage or spring thats on it another words leave it as is
Then connect throttle cable with a homemade linkage to the carburetors butterfly control on the top of carburetor even thought is linked the governor
Look at photos again especially photo 3

Rat

Reaction score
So it not wise to disconnect the governor
Disconnecting without totally removing it and all it's bits is not the best decision, no.

Completely removing it from the engine entirely is the better option if you don't intend to use it... it's next to impossible to blow most small engines apart from overrev unless you've started really hotrodding it out (heavier valve springs being a big one)
Full delete is extremely easy.
1. Remove the cover
2. Pull the cam out
3. Swing the gov rod aside to pull the gov gear.
4. Pull a clip or two and slide the gov link rod out
5. hand rotate the crank to line up the cam and crank timing marks to reassemble minus a governor.
6. Tap threads and plug gov link rod passage with a bolt (or plug by preferred method)
7. Replace gasket (almost always gets damaged removing the cover)
8. Put the cover on and add oil
Look at photos again especially photo 3
Airbox is in the way so I can't see what connects to what or where... best method is keep it crude and simple.
If you leave the governor in, use it. If you're not going to use it lose it.

I do have the entire linkage and governor assembly from a Hemi 212 sitting on a window sill in my garage because I don't use governors or stock carbs. The Hemi 212 has a stock type on it for now, but I haven't decided what I'm doing on that because they use a proprietary flywheel size as well as proprietary shaft taper for it.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
There are no hot rod parts for that engine. And if I’m not mistaken the lobes for the cam shaft are made out of plastic. I would just leave the governor in and alone. There is a reason that engine is used on water pumps and pressure washers.

Reactions: Rat

Rat

Reaction score
There are no hot rod parts for that engine. And if I’m not mistaken the lobes for the cam shaft are made out of plastic. I would just leave the governor in and alone. There is a reason that engine is used on water pumps and pressure washers.
I think that's one of the main differences between the GC and GX series in general.

If I could actually see what you've got going where, and a better description of the exact issue I could definitely figure out working linkage. Mostly it seems like something is binding or catching

Most common reason for binding on hand made or modified linkage rods is length between connections, second is the z-bends themselves catching.

Overall it seems maybe you should have left everything alone and asked questions first.

Mike12656

Reaction score
Denny and RLS
The only changes I made to the engine was I drilled a two small holes in governor lever/arm so I could hook up the throttle cable to the governor thinking it would work
But it didn’t!
So going back to original set up on the engine is easy I took off the homemade linkage now its back to the original set up
No damage!
—I will remove air filter housing and take photos of the linkage and surrounding area so you guys can see it better—
In hindsight I should’ve posted but I really thought it was going to work!
I would like to keep it simple and get it done so I can give it back to my friend running correctly
Stand by for photos!

Mike12656

Reaction score
Thanks Denny

RLS and Denny—-Heres photos

Attachments

• 481ADBC5-6670-4426-A81E-FDBC1932DD98.jpeg
    481ADBC5-6670-4426-A81E-FDBC1932DD98.jpeg
    870.8 KB · Views: 9
  • BA8920E6-ED14-4E67-AEEA-7B742BA8DA52.jpeg
    BA8920E6-ED14-4E67-AEEA-7B742BA8DA52.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 8