Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
Here's a cheap tool very applicable to our use. Use it for getting stale or soon-to-be-stale gas out of karts, lawnmowers, etc. for winter storage. Use it for oil too, add or drain both. I've had this for about 6 years and it works flawlessly. A good cheap tool.

Haven't tried it for pumping up balloons or pool floats though.

I have it and like it.:thumbsup:

---------- Post added at 01:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 PM ----------

Time for some photos! To heck with worthless descriptions--no one will ever remember which one was recommended but they'll remember a pic.

4-1/2 in. 5 Amp Heavy Duty Angle Grinder (is bigger better?)
item#60372

This is the one I use and like:thumbsup:
4-1/2 in. 5 Amp Heavy Duty Angle Grinder
item#60372

Gordylightfoot

A really smart kid
Reaction score
I have it and like it.:thumbsup:

---------- Post added at 01:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 PM ----------

Time for some photos! To heck with worthless descriptions--no one will ever remember which one was recommended but they'll remember a pic.

4-1/2 in. 5 Amp Heavy Duty Angle Grinder (is bigger better?)
item#60372

This is the one I use and like:thumbsup:
4-1/2 in. 5 Amp Heavy Duty Angle Grinder
item#60372

OMG!!! That sux! You must not use it much. Even my mom knows better! (buy Chicago Electric)... And my dad says Robert sucks? IDK.

Gordylightfoot

A really smart kid
Reaction score
IDK...So many crazy things happening, I'm dazed and confused!

This is crazy: My sister brings home a stray kitten. My mom says: " Name it Robert." But it's a female cat.

She says:" Nevermind,,it fits!" ?

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
In the grand scheme of things, is it better to own a 4" or 4-1/2" grinder?
Which size has the more attachments available? Is one preferable over another?

There's even larger sizes...for what purpose I am not sure except to remove more material faster, or cut deeper.
I think I saw a 7" and a 9" grinder. More and more costs...

OMG!!! That sux! You must not use it much. Even my mom knows better! (buy Chicago Electric)... And my dad says Robert sucks? IDK.

Doesn't that very item say Chicago Electric on it? I'm puzzled...

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
In the grand scheme of things, is it better to own a 4" or 4-1/2" grinder?
Which size has the more attachments available? Is one preferable over another?

There's even larger sizes...for what purpose I am not sure except to remove more material faster, or cut deeper.
I think I saw a 7" and a 9" grinder. More and more costs...

Doesn't that very item say Chicago Electric on it? I'm puzzled...

Who knows what Gordo was taking about? I think he drinks too much for Pepsi before he posts.

Kartorbust

Reaction score
It's easier to find 4 1/2" discs than 4", or at least that was the case 5 years ago, plus they were cheaper. I would probably buy a DeWalt angle grinder before I'd buy a Chicago Electric or Skil brand...or any angle grinder for that matter that does not have a I guess flap style switch. My Skil grinder I had in college was a royal pain to keep locked on while smoothing out bevels in 1/4" steel or removing the mill scale off steel. Having to hold the switch forward than press a button to lock it on, sucked and nearly cost me the tip of my finger.

Ended up taking a bite out of my index finger down to the bone, through the finger nail and side. All because I lost my grip trying to lock the switch on. Cut right through a thick leather welding glove without issue. Wasn't a fun couple weeks after that. From a personal stand point for safety, I'd opt out of buying cheap angle grinders and not recommend them to anyone.

supermanotorious

Winchmaster 5000
Reaction score
after burning through several HF grinders, I now have a Dewalt and a Makita, got the Mikita at a garage sale, and the Dewalt at an Ace Hardware sale

Hellion

Reaction score
after burning through several HF grinders, I now have a Dewalt and a Makita, got the Mikita at a garage sale, and the Dewalt at an Ace Hardware sale

I guess I will learn the HF lesson in due time but for occasional use it fits the bill and I am curious to see how and when it will fail if it ever does with my minimal usage.

I needed an air impact wrench but didn't go to HF--I got an $80 Kobalt.

Jfive

Reaction score
I've had two craftsman impacts take a crap so far. I almost bought a used blue point but I use an old porter cable 110 impact till I go back to air tools. The new earthquake impact from harbor freight for 130 with a coupon is as good as a 505.00 snap on according to testing. I prefer the hand tools that have really gotten better over the years. The ratchet wrench, and pry bar set. I just bought a 20.00 saw all for cutting some pvc sleeves so hope it will last with minimal use.

Hellion

Reaction score
Craftsmanship and quality (and built-to-last) are qualities from the distant past. The Chinese are great imitators but they are not driven by making things last at least for our economy.

...The new earthquake impact from harbor freight for 130 with a coupon is as good as a 505.00 snap on according to testing...

You're more trusting than I. My question is who did the testing?

Kartorbust

Reaction score
Craftsmanship and quality (and built-to-last) are qualities from the distant past. The Chinese are great imitators but they are not driven by making things last at least for our economy.

You're more trusting than I. My question is who did the testing?
Have to agree with that statement. Craftsman tools used to be really good. But now they break quite quickly and just don't hold up very well. In some cases, Chinese makers follow the standards the companies ask for, but I don't think many want the quality since they have an established name.

Only tools I'll be buying from Craftsman is their tool boxes. I'm going to DeWalt, Porter Cable, GearWrench and a few other brands for my stuff. They still stand behind their tools, but the quality is just lacking, at least the non-"professional" ones are. Their "Professional" series are pretty good, just almost 1.5 times more expensive.

Flyinhillbilly

The great cornholio
Reaction score
I've worn out 2 1/2 earthquakes in the last 4 years. They are every bit as strong as the $400 IR titaniums that I used to buy, and leaps and bounds stronger than my last snap on. I like them and will continue to use them to make my living.

Hellion

Reaction score
I've worn out 2 1/2 earthquakes in the last 4 years. They are every bit as strong as the $400 IR titaniums that I used to buy, and leaps and bounds stronger than my last snap on. I like them and will continue to use them to make my living.

I thought these were brand spankin' new for Horror Fright?

They're certainly touting them as new but I did read (in a HF review) that this is just a rebranding of the old Central Pneumatic line that some wrote they were sad to see go away.

But hey, since you've worn them out from daily use for 4 years and they held up better than other top brands, that's good enough for me.

Don't these have polymer bodies or some other way to make them lighter?

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
The new earthquake impact from harbor freight for $130.00 with a coupon is as good as a 505.00 snap on according to testing. .

Just saw a coupon for that thing doe $89.00
If anyone is still in the Market

Flyinhillbilly

The great cornholio
Reaction score
Mine have been the old cast earthquake. I'll post a pic of mine tomorrow, that will tell
You everything you need to know about the HF impacts.
Next time I need one I'll get the composite body one. I've worn out several IR's with the composite body, and the body always outlasted the hard parts. I used to spend about $400/ year on impacts, it's less that $100/ year now.

Status
Not open for further replies.