Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angelk

Reaction score
As a general rule I don't buy anything that I will use a lot there. I have worked at a car shop for almost 3 years now, I grew up between my dad's shop, my grandpa's shop, and the farm shop. I have had my fair share of experience with HF tools and stuff. Here is a comprehensive list of HF stuff that I have had experience with:

Air tools(I have never use the impact drivers so I don't know about those)
NO, I would not recommend any air tools because they severely lack power

Air Accessories(reels, blowers etc.)

Air reels - Yes, Hoses are durable
Air fittings - Yes
Air Things(blowers, things you air up valves with) - Yes

Hand tools

Wrenches - No, extremely low quality
Socket handles - No, extremely low quality
Sockets - No, extremely low quality
Impact sockets - Yes, these are good, can't beat the price
Screw drivers - Yes, they make good pry bars too because they aren't expensive
Pliers - Yes, they are just as strong as my craftsman ones
Vise Grips - No these are weak, poorly coated, and do not work well
Hammers - Never had any experience but a hammer is a hammer. If you are looking for a framing hammer I would probably get a name brand though.
Tape measures - Yes, low quality and not as stiff as lufkins or fax maxes, but an inch is an inch.
Levels - No, cheaply made and I have seen several that have been curved or flat out off.
Pry bars - Yes, easy to replace when cheap
Clamps - No, very cheap castings

That about covers all hand tools. What it ultimately boils down too is that I would not buy anything that you plan on using a lot. I picked up the 105 piece set to keep in my truck. I rarely use them, but when I do they work. But I am very glad I don't rely on them for my main tools.

Welding accessories

Helmets - Yes, Best quality helmet I have ever had for the price
Magnets - No, too weak to be useful
Hammers - Yes
Brushes - No. They last for about 4 uses. Save yourself frustration and buy a nice $10 brush from menards.
Cart - Yes, this thing is amazing
Table - Yes, personally I think you can make one for cheaper, but it is still nice

Tool Storage

Tool Chests(US General only) - Yes, Very high quality, just as nice as our snap-on sitting next to it
Work benches - Who buys a work bench?
Tool bags - Yes, Very durable
Parts Racks - Yes, for the price these are good
Tool belt - Yes

Automotive

Winches - Yes
Tie downs - No, jam easy and are flimsy
OBD2 - Yes, hard to beat for the price
Testers (compression, fuel injection etc.)- Yes
Multimeter - No, although if you pick one up as a free gift it never hurts to have a spare
Jacks - Maybe, I have seen one fail, and I have seen one going 10 years strong
Pulley Pullers - Yes

Engines
212cc - Oh wait, I think we know enough about this section already

Power tools

We have always bought name brand drills, grinders, drill press etc. so I can't speak for those. However my impression would be that they are not very good. We bought a belt sander and a couple things were put on backwards, and the top bearing had a wobble right out of the box. Same experience with the miter saw, its quality was so far away from our Dewalt that it wasn't worth the price break. That being said, this new line of hercules/ bauer looks very attracting haven't used it yet though. The extension cords are very nice.

Hopefully this was helpful to someone. The big things I don't have experience with are their welders, most power tools as I mentioned, generators, impact drivers, or air compressors.
This thread should be sticky noted though. It could help many lost souls in and out of the karting world. :thumbsup:

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
I have to disagree with the new guy, I have had excellent luck with their sockets and smaller ratchets. and I use mine almost everyday.
I have never had any bad luck with any of their air tools either (can't say about impacts).

Denny

Kartorbust

Reaction score
I've seen first hand experience their Earthquake impacts and they do just as well as IR (Mac are just rebadged IR). In the long run they may not be as durable though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Angelk

Reaction score
Denny,
The only ratchets I have ever seen from them have plastic parts. There is no way these would hold up to even weekly use. After some looking I realised they carry a nice line that is all metal, I have not had any experience with these. Thanks though, I learned something new!

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
If you don't have a set of Torque Wrenches, or if you are planning on installing an ARC rod and need a 1/4" drive inch pound torque wrench...

These torque wrenches go on sale for $10 each on January 12-14th.

1/4" drive - 20 to 200 inch pounds
https://www.harborfreight.com/1-4-quarter-inch-drive-click-type-torque-wrench-2696.html
3/8" drive - 5 to 80 foot pounds
https://www.harborfreight.com/38-in-drive-click-type-torque-wrench-61276.html
1/2" drive - 20 to 150 foot pounds
https://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-inch-drive-click-type-torque-wrench-239.html

Can't beat $30 for a set of three torque wrenches.
What does Husky cost at Home Depot? $70 - $85 each?
These should be calibrated close enough for DIY karting.

Kartorbust

Reaction score
If I could I'd buy them and then have them sent off to test for calibration. I have a Craftsman set of torque wrenches and they seem to be fairly accurate (enough so I trust them for truck lug nuts). ARC says you need a "quality" torque wrench for yourself, but that is subjective.

supermanotorious

Winchmaster 5000
Reaction score
I use the lightest HF torque wrench and the next size up ( .25" drive and 0.375" drive) on my Harley and they work fantastic, I've hand tightened the clutch cover and it leaked, used the HR torque wrench and it doesn't leak, the key is using the one that will be roughly in the middle of it's range for the application, for example- if you are tightening to 35 ft/lbs, use one that has a range of 5-70 ft/lbs

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
If I could I'd buy them and then have them sent off to test for calibration. I have a Craftsman set of torque wrenches and they seem to be fairly accurate (enough so I trust them for truck lug nuts). ARC says you need a "quality" torque wrench for yourself, but that is subjective.

You can always test and recalibrate by putting a socket in a vise and pulling on the handle with a luggage scale at a set distance from the pivot. Might need to test the luggage scale with a known weight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaqBA-xSGbc

Or you can hang a weight from the handle. 25 lb weight at 12" = 25 ft lbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.