Harbor Freight Tools that don't suck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gokartdaddy

Reaction score
Model numbers and photos would be helpful here instead of the ambiguous "medium priced one" because it is, well... ambiguous. Plus HF wares are perpetually ON SALE so the price can and will vary.

man do you have to comment on everything ?

KingCobra

TROLL CRUSHER INC.
Reaction score
So I have a big dent on my rear door.
It goes over a designed line shaped into the body.

Going to see how much I can get out with this and some boiling water.

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-1-2-half-inch-diameter-suction-cup-40993.html
4-1/2 in. Diameter Suction Cup

Does it suck? Does it not suck? Which one is good?

My guess on success>> NADA! I will believe it when I see it. Body creases are the hardest to reshape without a dolly and a good body hammer and I've done many many many..............OH, and many in my lifetime. When a dent involves a body line, it's nearly if not impossible to restore IF it is even a tad bit bad, but I've never seen one that didn't require a hammer and dolly. Hopefully yours is in a curve as they have more luck restoring their shape. Good luck to you.

mckutzy

Reaction score
To get the best seal clean the area well(make sure the cup is clean aswell)... Push firmly.... And give a firm tug....

That or you might need to get a stud pin welder...

KingCobra

TROLL CRUSHER INC.
Reaction score
To get the best seal clean the area well(make sure the cup is clean aswell)... Push firmly.... And give a firm tug....

That or you might need to get a stud pin welder...

And use Vaseline or maybe wetting the area or the cup does help alot. Maybe if he gives the cup a good wet lick............

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
It was raining and cold when I attempted the first time. Got 70% of it out on the first tug. Then the cup wouldn't adhere again. Must have been too cold. Going to try again. I'll keep some hot water around to warm the cup. Not sure I'll be able to get anymore of this out with this cup. Either a smaller one, or a different method might be needed. Didn't get a good pic of what it looked like before. But I can get a pic of what it looks like now (and after if I make any improvements).

---------- Post added at 02:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:21 PM ----------

As expected, I didn't get the part out that crossed the body line.
There was another part, small round dent with what seems like a crease extending from it. I didn't think that area was going to be a problem, but it looks at though that is where the initial impact was. (There's a scratch).

Attachments

• CC65367E-0DF2-4A46-B2CA-89DE33D99F9F.jpg
    CC65367E-0DF2-4A46-B2CA-89DE33D99F9F.jpg
    321.4 KB · Views: 10
  • dent2.jpg
    dent2.jpg
    608.2 KB · Views: 11

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
Ford Fusion. What year?

SEL
3.0 V6 Flex Fuel
240 HP @6,550 RPM
223 lb-ft @ 4,300 RPM
90,000 miles

I'm about to try to change the plugs too. I have never changed spark plugs on a car before. Thank the lord for Youtube. How do places charge $500+ to do a tune up (which is basically just changing the plugs)? 6 plugs should cost about $15. It can't be that hard to get the intake or whatever off.

Then Magnaflow Cat-Back, Steeda CAI, Steeda Tuner? I'd like to see what an E85 tune would be like.
I'd really like to swap the gearing so I spend more time at 4,300 - 6,550 RPM during daily driving. Maybe I'll just get some tiny wheels. LOL

Kartorbust

Reaction score
That's why the only transverse mounted engine I ever want to get is a 4 banger at most or a 5. Even a Subaru boxer isn't that bad to change out the plugs. Ford is just plain goofy with their engineering (still somewhat of a Ford Fanboy, but still doesn't stop me from complaining lol).

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
Ford is just plain goofy with their engineering (still somewhat of a Ford Fanboy, but still doesn't stop me from complaining lol).

How about that new GT?
460 HP
420 Lb-Ft

Not sure how I feel about the 10 speed transmission? Better fuel economy sounds like less fun?

How can you pick up chicks on a 10-speed?

His face at 8:45 says it all!!!
Drop a Gear and Enjoy Five Liters of Democracy Coming to You from Ford America. LOL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PEXlveDqUM

Since you like the 4 banger... Turbo Eco Boost 310HP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5XwCdRyzqM

Kartorbust

Reaction score
How about that new GT?
460 HP
420 Lb-Ft

Not sure how I feel about the 10 speed transmission? Better fuel economy sounds like less fun?
Eh I'm not terribly interested in it. I mean they left no room for mods on it, the engine is maxed out, where as the older one with DOHC 5.4 still could be modified. I'm kind of disappointed in the 10 speed from the bit of testing done with it on The Fast Lane Truck. I would have thought that having 10 speeds would help in tow/haul mode, but with the gearing so close together, it doesn't seem to be aggressive enough. But being that it's a joint designed from Ford and GM, I know that they'll have the same issue possibly.

I am kind of interested in seeing the auto repair body that, I believe it was Lamborghini that just came up with become mainstream. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/11/11/lamborghini-creates-self-healing-sports-car/

Kartorbust

Reaction score
That is crazy. Now they need to make the engine internals self repairing?
That'd be insane especially in a real FUBAR situation like this. Skip to about 3:20 https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=235s&v=kqVwHJPV-XE

As far as HF tools that don't suck, we have a 10x17 garage in a box from there and it's worked well. Though it blew apart in 45mph wind gusts the other day, but only because I didn't anchor down the back 2 legs into the ground like I did to the front. Bent only 2 pieces in the whole thing and we are putting it back together and will be anchoring down the back this time. The stakes go into the ground about 16 inches and tied in with 1/8 inch cable. Though one suggestion is make is, at any joint pieces, drill holes through and put a bolt and nut in it. At that point it shouldn't fall apart with strong winds, short of hurricane or tornado force.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
Dang, I came here for more on topic HF tool reviews. Thanks Kartorbust for steering us back. :thumbsup:

HF sure does have a lot of new tool/new tool branding in their lineup....

Kartorbust

Reaction score
The one part that sucks is sometimes HFT staff are less than helpful. They say you can find replacement parts for the sheds on their website, I'm calling BS on that. The staff claim that HFT has the sheds built more or less in house. But I'm not finding parts online. There is an 800 number to call so I'll probably do it when I have free time this week, probably will have a ton of that if my boss decides to be a Richard and fire me after I gave my notice.

anickode

Reaction score
One quick off-topic top regarding the door dent...

Deflate a football/basketball/etc. Remove the inside door skin. Stuff the football into the door between the dent and the structure (with the window up, obviously). Pump air into the football. Watch the dent go pop. Deflate and remove football, and reassemble the door.

Kartorbust

Reaction score
Before I had moved, my dad picked up an adjustable roller stand to help hold up wood for his radial arm saw. So far he seems to like it. He's been using it lately to cut up large scraps of lumber to burn in the fireplace. Was a bit of a PITA to put together. https://www.harborfreight.com/132-lb-capacity-roller-stand-68898.html

Has anyone tried the Chicago electric brand drill presses? Something in the 10 to 12 inch range. Looking at getting one and trying to compare them to the other well known (Wen, Grizzly, Jet, Delta, Skil, etc).

mckutzy

Reaction score
I have used that roller stand... albeit not from harbor freight.... but one of the other branded copies.... exactly the same.....

Its a bit finicky to get the height while holding a weight up... but its decent for what it is...

Status
Not open for further replies.