Car engine starter project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerryburger

Admiral Annoy
Reaction score
....see what I'm talking about when I said my friend got thrown on his back?!?! The starting torque of an electric is like winding a gas motor to it's torque peak and dumping the clutch. Instant BAM!

As far as motors go, try for AT LEAST 500watts. A 750 watt motor is about 1 hp. I sound like a broken record, but if you see one of those rechargeable lawnmowers (any brand is fine, but Black&Decker is the best.) ...and it's cheap- nab it! The B&D motor is very powerful and has a 5/8" shaft... VERY easy to work with. I found one last week at Goodwill for $30 and without a second thought, bought it.

bigfootrules31

Reaction score
i found a starter motor out of a corolla today, now i need some wheels would ones off a ride on or one of those heavy lifting troleys be good enough?

stephenm2682

Reaction score
....see what I'm talking about when I said my friend got thrown on his back?!?! The starting torque of an electric is like winding a gas motor to it's torque peak and dumping the clutch. Instant BAM!

As far as motors go, try for AT LEAST 500watts. A 750 watt motor is about 1 hp. I sound like a broken record, but if you see one of those rechargeable lawnmowers (any brand is fine, but Black&Decker is the best.) ...and it's cheap- nab it! The B&D motor is very powerful and has a 5/8" shaft... VERY easy to work with. I found one last week at Goodwill for $30 and without a second thought, bought it.

is this for a go kart design? if so what speed would a 750watt motor on average give?

bigfootrules31

Reaction score
how do you go about putting a sprocket onto a starter motor, theres the little cog thing(pardon my technical terms) that flys out when its turned on, hod is that removed and a sprocket put in its place

Jerryburger

Admiral Annoy
Reaction score
is this for a go kart design? if so what speed would a 750watt motor on average give?

Yes. The B&D motor is 24vdc- 36VDC and is rated at a peak of 5 hp. (At stall) At full load and 2000 rpm, it's putting out about 2000 watts, or just under 3hp @ 55amp draw.

Here's the link to it's specs.....
http://www.hongyangmotor.com/en/ProductView.asp?id=177&class=7#

It puts out (hope I converted the measurements right) 16ft lbs torque at stall (a GX 200 clone puts out 10) and at about 2000 rpm is still putting out about 8 ft. lbs.

The thing with electrics is, they only draw as much power as they need. So, when you're starting out under full power, it'll draw (and develop) quite a bit of power. Once you're up to top speed (about 3200 rpm) you're drawing about 30 amps @ 36V (or 1000 watts) and still at it's peak efficiency.

(Click the "View Details Page" button to see the power graphs and physical dimensions)

All I know is, I've seen and ridden first-hand a trike powered by one of these at both 12 and 24 volt (never tried 36v) and it's worth it's weight in gold, especially compared to what you'd pay for a motor of similar power. All you do is bolt a solid 5/8" sprocket (available on Ebay) -no clutch needed.
Warning: DON'T run a V-Belt set up on it.... the tension required to keep from slipping messes up the output bearing. Chain is fine.

if so what speed would a 750watt motor on average give?

...really hard to say, but my friend (200lbs/Old Woman's Trike) could get up to just under 20mph from 12v. On 24v it did 25-30 mph. Never tried 36v, and he generally kept it at 12v, because his batteries weren't the greatest. (He ran them in parallel to double the range). When he ran them in series (24v) the thing flew, but range dropped.

This contraption was meant to just buzz around the neighborhood at sedate speeds (It was too rickety for the speeds he could hit with it when he had the B/S 3hp on it... 35mph!)

stephenm2682

Reaction score
nice! so where do i find a decent motor and how do i make it run off more voltage, obviously more batteries but how do i get it to use it? if i need speed controller which do i need?

Scumm

Reaction score
Jerry, I've been planning my build for awhile now, and have been looking at dual 600-800W motors for it. When you say its pulling 55 amps, Is that continuous or peak? I'm having a hard time picking a controller for the job. I don't want to fry it, but I'd rather not spend more on the controller for a bunch of overkill I don't need.

etard

Reaction score
Ahh, this happens to be my area of expertise (i.e. don't ask me about women). What you need for a bicycle is a very low rpm per volt motor (called KV). Going 20 mph on a 26" tire bicycle the wheel is spinning at about 260 rpm. The speed reduction of your common electric motor is going to be your biggest obstacle in order to apply the motor to the bike. There are soooooo many options. The easiest, cheapest and most plug and play is going to be a rear hub electric motor where the hub of the wheel IS the motor. Eric Peltzer's electric bicycle(google it) is where you want to begin. Then go to endless-sphere.com to figure out the rest. If you want to see the best of the best go here:
http://www.recumbents.com/WISIL/shumaker/default.htm

Sorry, I'm new here and haven't figured out the links and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.