Car engine starter project

Status
Not open for further replies.

zabac70

Reaction score
Not very much if you put 24 V in starter (and provide cooling, which you have to do, cause starters aren't intended to run for more than 20-30 sec). If you go with 36 V (unless you using a big truck starter), things are getting complicated and you must(very much) limit the current to starter. Generally , almost every motor can be overvolted up to a point. Really , starters are "poor man choice" for cheap fun and adding a controller (to handle higher amps ) makes things a bit expensive, so in that case , you might as well go with some commercially available DC (or BLDC) motor and appropriate controller. However , it could be done (and many people did it), but do an extensive research on the matter or seek help from friends who knows the stuff or from car electrician near you. I didn't knew much either but after few months on the net I've learned a lot and the English isn't my language :). For myself , I've chosen (BLDC) motor for electric assisted steering from FIAT Punto and many newer car (from last decade) have those and they are usually BLDC motors. Of course , I need a controller and there are plenty "open source" schematics on the net and my would be built by near by TV & HIFI repair shop for very low amount of money (under 100 euros) and few beers :)

zabac70

Reaction score
does rob_fedstill use this site? i looked at his kart & it looks good he says use a honda or toyota starter but what age car & what motor? links are:-
http://robertklee10.tripod.com/shock_pictures.htm

http://www.geocities.com/hempev/plans.html

Japanese cars from 90's > upwards have permanent magnet starters (not sure if ALL japanese cars have them). Meaning, those starters are lighter and more compact and they take a bit more abuse (a bit more heat , before they die). Also , they are easyer to hack or rewound to a higher voltage (not all of them , cause some are so compact that they can't be opened without damage to the casing).

zabac70

Reaction score
In his instruction it is indicated that solenoid was cut off of the starter and thrown away (appendix D). The starter he is talking about is from Honda or Toyota - gear reduction starter (which I've posted before and you can find that fact at the end of instruction - parts list).

stephenm2682

Reaction score
on the electrical wiring diagram it shows a solenoid inbetween the battery & starter. titled important safety information

zabac70

Reaction score
Aahhh , THAT solenoid :) It is a regular car distributor solenoid , you can obtain it from the same car as the car starter. It is soda-can look like solenoid (a bit smaller) , connected to a distributor on the engine (solenoid are usually placed on some visible spot in the engine bay on the car body - they have to be grounded).This is applicable to the car from 90's era; new cars with computers and what not - I don't know - they have plastic or metal covers over the engine , so I never looked under those. Hope that helps.

zabac70

Reaction score
I forgot...the wiring sheme , that we talk about , IS FOR 12 Volts SYSTEM WITHOUT CONTROLLER (you can't control speed - it's eider on or off). If you want to overvolt it (like 24 V or 36 V) for better performance, you should consult the expert about it and how to put things together and you CAN NOT use only one distributor solenoid , cause it will blow.

stephenm2682

Reaction score
yeah that's the one. will see if i can find one from 90+ toyota or honda, any others??(what about any jap car) i have a mitsubishi.

zabac70

Reaction score
You should do a bit of research (salvage yards , local car mechanics , friends , neiboroghs...) to determine what are you looking for and to find out about possible replacement. If you lay eyes on one of those things (car starter or/and solenoid on any Toyota or Honda from 90's) , you can easily find its lookalike on any other (jap) car , which will work (there aren't many sorts of geared starters on Japanese car from that time). For Mitsubishi - I don't know , I've never had one.

etard

Reaction score
Treadmill motors are pretty good, Electric lawnmower, maybe a grinder or even a drill. Going electric is not gonna be cheap, so you might as well do it right and plan on spending some coin.

Status
Not open for further replies.