Car engine starter project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leem1994

Junior Mechanic
Reaction score
I will be using a starter from a 2005 ford focus, on a 15 speed mountain bike. The problem is that I don't know what to power it with and how to control that power to keep from braking the chain. :confused: :worried2:

ed1380

Banned
Reaction score
you can do full on and full off power. doing something in between will require a controller and those are expensive

also read kibble's thread on how to modify it

Jerryburger

Admiral Annoy
Reaction score
Make sure and lean WAY FORWARD when you light the fuse! A friend got dumped on his back TWICE with his Old Woman's Trike Powered by a Black & Decker CMM1000 motor. Pretty funny! (to watch!)

BradenM

Etre Et Durer.
Reaction score
Torque from that motor will kill your bicycle chain. I would not consider bicycle chain as an option-I've managed to stretch the stuff over a period of 10 minutes with a small, OHC robin (24cc approx).
That starter motor has a lot more torque.

bigfootrules31

Reaction score
i was thinking about doing the same sort of thing, but how do you attach a sprocket to a starter motor?

backpack09

Reaction score
To know how fast it would go you would have to know the RPM of the motor... Anyone have a clue at how fast a starter motor spins? My googling has only told me that it is somewhere above 2500 and cannot be 40000.

Dan

stephenm2682

Reaction score
what about using car alternator? i take it you mean rpm of the starter not car? so i need one off a big engine car? what is needed to get it to run? what motor is better for speed, what volt do i need.

ed1380

Banned
Reaction score
none of us have done this so we dont know. its designed for 12v, but you could do 18 or 24. you're just sacrifising performance for life.

also an alternator turns movement into electricity, not good for moving stuff.

usually the speed of a motor is determined in RPM per volt. so at 12v it might do 1200rpm and at 18v 1800 rpm. we dont know the exact numbers

kibble

I banned myself
Reaction score
I've modified starters, but I have yet to use one in a motorized project. :(

One of the most difficult things is figuring out how to attach a sprocket to one, because of the fact that the gear at the end only rotates one way. It would require welding it or finding some other way of holding it securely.

stephenm2682

Reaction score
i thought the motor turns both ways for reverse? would you say a car motor would be any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.