All things PAINTED.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sayre315

Rupp enduro
Reaction score
yea
powder coating is where the paint is i think - charged and the part being painted is + charged and the paint sticks to the part through electricity

Jerryburger

Admiral Annoy
Reaction score
As you'll see in the other thread, I painted the kart. Sorta. Well, I changed its color.
Here's some notes....
I'm not sure if this is how it's supposed to happen, but I mixed the Rustoleum with about 20% acetone. Poured it into the spraygun, and the minute I hooked it up to my compressor, the air started shooting without me pulling the trigger! When I did pull the trigger, the paint came out. I'm not sure if the air is supposed to be always on, but that forced my little compressor (2hp/5gal) to barely keep up. I had to disconnect the gun a couple of times, just to build up enough psi. It's pretty easy to go from, "That looks about right" to "Oh CRAP, it's running!"
Luckily, this is just a gokart with the biggest surface being a 2 1/2" square tube.... If this were the hood of my car, I'd be screaming right now.
I now know the value of a big compressor.
The paint itself is awesome. This stuff would stick oil to teflon! It kinda reminds me of something like Battleship Grey paint, except in different colors.
Will I use a gun again? Not likely. I think the guns are for big projects. I used Rustoleum Protective Enamel on the wheels (rattlecan) and it sticks pretty darned good. The light-blue parts on the clutches were done with Duplicolor Engine Enamel, and I've pretty good luck with that. (my blue ATC was done with the engine enamel)

All in all, I just wanted to "get through it" after finding out that my painting skills SUCK.

... this crap is still on my hands, even after acetone, scrubbing with scotch-brite pads and straight Dawn! So I think it's a success.

MDMike

Reaction score
The air came out without pulling the trigger - you have to adjust the lower knob on the rear of the gun, its to far in.
Its a needle jet that alows air though, like a mixture screw on a carb.

Don't give up on the spray gun, mess around with it, soon you'll be happy you did cause the paint jobs are 100% better, and using Automotive type paints, there more durable. - my 2 cents

Besides, doesn't it feel great to be able to say "I built it all, down to paint"?

jr dragster T

Reaction score
yea
powder coating is where the paint is i think - charged and the part being painted is + charged and the paint sticks to the part through electricity

Its not a paint what-so-ever. Its not liquidy either. Its just a dry powder that gets statically charged onto the materiel then baked on.

newrider3

Reaction score
I found this whilst browsing a coupon e-mail from good 'ol Harbor Freight. Looks promising, if a bit expensive. Still cheaper than a whole compressor and auto gun set up, though.

Jerryburger

Admiral Annoy
Reaction score
I ordered some of that SprayMax 2k Urethane for my wife's bike parts. I'll let you guys know how that goes. I think it'll look great over her "Mirage" Blue/Red paint job!

Hey guys! I used that Spraymax 2k urethane on my wife's bike, the clean parts of the Lowrider, and on the B/S 2-stroke engine. (Once you activate the can, you've got about 24hrs to use it). If this turns out to dry as nice as it looks now (an hour later) I'm one happy guy. Her bike parts look really nice (3 coats), and I just coated the other items because I had some left over. I'll let you all know how it turns out tomorrow morning-ish. (12 hour dry time).

fluxcored

Reaction score
I found this whilst browsing a coupon e-mail from good 'ol Harbor Freight. Looks promising, if a bit expensive. Still cheaper than a whole compressor and auto gun set up, though.

More or less the same setup I picked up this weekend. The guy said it'll be more than adequate for my needs. I'm just cleaning it up a bit and need to replace the hose then I'm hopefully set.

Jerryburger

Admiral Annoy
Reaction score
Those HVLP guns look cool. For my "just try to make it look less ugly than it is" paint projects (most everything I do) I'm pretty happy with the Rustoleum. That stuff is STICKY! It's doing great on the LR v2 project so far.

Jerryburger

Admiral Annoy
Reaction score

Here's my wife's bike..... It still needs a lot of finishing, etc, but the paint job turned ok. When done, I'll take some daylight pix.

iwanttogofast

Reaction score
get a sos pad and make that chrome shine on the fenders and exhaust....it is a lil abrasive but i did bike rims and other rusted chrome parts and they looked awesome.

Jerryburger

Admiral Annoy
Reaction score
I like using BriteBoy on the chrome bits- there's more to be done with her bike before I start detailing it yet. The above picture was just to show the tank/covers on the bike. I'm going to take black rustoleum to the rusty parts on the frame. Beats the heck out of what it looked like the 1st day!

Status
Not open for further replies.