2019 - Scrap rod build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smerft85

Reaction score
If anyone remembers the gx390 I have sitting on the shelf, i may be able to get it running as simple as a new carb, if I'm right and it runs, it would be a simple swap, but would the cc still hold up with the same gearing? I believe it was 6.4:1 or very close, gearing a little lower wouldn't be hard utilizing the sprockets on the jackshaft, but I may do wheelies or more burnouts than I can afford tires for. I plan to run the gx270 as planned, but very tempting to see what the big brother has to offer.

gegcorp2012

Reaction score
I like the T bucket kind of pick up look. Snow already ?? I never karted in snow. Must be a blast once you get rolling.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Smerft85

Reaction score
I like the T bucket kind of pick up look. Snow already ?? I never karted in snow. Must be a blast once you get rolling.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

My dingo was pretty fun while the chain would stay on, as long as you have a live axle and don't go fast enough that your brakes are needed. 👍

---------- Post added at 07:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:18 AM ----------

I think the gearing should still be fine. You will have quite a bit of torque though

Thanks landuse, I've been meaning to ask, the trike in your avatar, is that an old Montgomery ward?

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
My dingo was pretty fun while the chain would stay on, as long as you have a live axle and don't go fast enough that your brakes are needed. 👍

---------- Post added at 07:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:18 AM ----------

Thanks landuse, I've been meaning to ask, the trike in your avatar, is that an old Montgomery ward?

No. It was one that I build from the ground up. I unfortunately never finished it and I sold the frame to someone else. I haven't actually done any projects for a few years now. My daughter has moved out the house and it was for her that I used to make stuff. The motivation to tinker is therefor not there anymore :D

I have included some rough plans :D

Attachments

• 2013-10-20-389.jpg
    2013-10-20-389.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 2013-10-20-390.jpg
    2013-10-20-390.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 2013-10-20-392.jpg
    2013-10-20-392.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 11
  • TRIKE MAIN SUPPORT.jpg
    TRIKE MAIN SUPPORT.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 3
  • TRIKE FULL DETAIL.jpg
    TRIKE FULL DETAIL.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 4
  • TRIKE SIDE FRAME.JPG
    TRIKE SIDE FRAME.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 3
  • TRIKE 3D.JPG
    TRIKE 3D.JPG
    122.3 KB · Views: 8

Smerft85

Reaction score
20191108_103440.jpg

Going thru my old shed a bit today, and I noticed this in the corner. I've parted out several old Suzuki sidekicks and geo trackers, and this is a fairly rare for what it is, pre-airbag, tilt steering column, and it is extra as I have the same set-up in both my tracker and sidekick. Don't laugh, they are like a cult following of 4x4.

Anyway, it seems to be almost a perfect length, and I believe I may somehow get the tilt functional, however I'm not sure how yet, any ideas?

Smerft85

Reaction score
Well, I've got a lot done but will have to get pictures when I'm back home, pedals are attached, steering column and tie rods done, extended and threaded the axles, engine mounted and chains all hooked up. If the brake linkage and a seat were installed it would be ready for a test run. I'll get some updated pics on sunday.

Smerft85

Reaction score
20191202_204650.jpg

20191202_204707.jpg

20191202_204739.jpg

20191202_204811.jpg

20191202_204833.jpg

Actively looking for a bigger wheelbarrow bucket, the big block kinda swallows the rear end, everything is tight and narrow space everywhere. It will move under it's own power, brakes are all hooked up, may need adjustments, but I'm sure it will stop eventually as it sits, steering seems close, some minor tweets and should be decent. Sits flat amazingly, I doubted myself. Tires could be better, but ratrod is the name of the game, so I'm happy they have tread and hold air.

To finish it by the build-off standards, I still need a kill switch, install throttle cable, and figure out the seating arrangements, it's getting very close but I want a bigger bucket for sure, I may do a temporary seat if it means finishing on time, and add a bigger one later.

Smerft85

Reaction score
Throttle cable is routed and only needs to be attached to the engine, tonight I'll weld in supports for the steering column and run a kill switch. After that it's a floor and figure out my bucket situation, almost finished!

Smerft85

Reaction score
20191204_222207.jpg

20191204_222224.jpg

It now has a floor, keeping to the "scrapper" theme, steering column is supported and rock solid, kill switch/key needs a couple feet of wire and grounded, a seat back of some sort would be nice before the test run partly because it doubles as a bit of a chain guard, so I'm thinking about cutting the shape from a sheet of aluminum I have, bolting it to the seat frame, and later on I'll make some seat pads, I'm too old not to! I'll save the first ride till I can record it with some help, but I think I'll meet the deadline.

Smerft85

Reaction score
May be a dumb question, but there is a wire on the front of the gx270 that seems to run positive current while it's running, would it be enough to power a small pair of fog lights for 12v automotive?

Smerft85

Reaction score
20191205_035817.jpg

I went ahead and answered my own question, they work!

The only thing left is making a seat. The test ride will make it official, but it starts and runs, travels under it's own power, brakes work, killswitch/key is functional, it steers, and I can drive it and fully function it without touching the engine after starting. By the rules of the build off it is finished, and I'll work on the video to prove everything.

There will be some welding and grinding in its future, but further work done won't change the driveablity or overall structure, just tidying up here and there. I may add to the body later on too, haven't decided. Aside from running it, I am pleased with it, we will see if I'll be disappointed or not when I drive it. Hope you enjoyed the build as much as I did! :wai:

pRoFiT

Can't buy it?, build it!
Reaction score
Looking at your pictures i worry you may throw a chain. The alignment from the jackshaft to the drive gear looks about 1/4" off. But could just be the images.

Hurry up only this month left :) good luck. Looks cool.

Smerft85

Reaction score
Looking at your pictures i worry you may throw a chain. The alignment from the jackshaft to the drive gear looks about 1/4" off. But could just be the images.

Hurry up only this month left :) good luck. Looks cool.

I put the rear up on stands and ran it full out, didn't throw the chain but the alignment is about 1/16th off, good eye! It is part of my final tweaks and repairs, I need a spacer between the sproket and the jackshaft, I'll probably use a washer or two once I dig a couple out that will work. In the air it doesn't throw it, but I'll find out quickly if being under load will be different. Thanks for looking out!

JTSpeedDemon

2019 Build Off Winner!
Reaction score
Best way is to post it on YouTube and link it here. If you go to the watch page(it'll say "watch", somewhere in the URL), and use that link, we can watch the video without leaving this site, which is pretty nice.
Don't mean to hijack, but here's an example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNyV4VT-PVc

Status
Not open for further replies.