2019 - Scrap rod build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smerft85

Reaction score
20190730_154542.jpg

All I can think to call it is the scrap rod, doing a wheel barrow kart, everything in the picture came free to me, or I picked up from my back yard, I'm hoping to only need to purchase clutch, chain, and brakes at max, everything else I want to recycle from the scrap pile in my yard, as well as my neighbors scrap pile, I've got free reign of a 10'x30'x6' scrap metal pile just over the fence. I didn't realise how small the password and such would be in the picture, but it is on the white closet door.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, how about you move the closet door back and show us the stuff..
Since frankly.. everything is covered by that plain white plank of yawns.

Also: bicycle wheels?
even for fronts on a hot barrow... that might fail on you, be sure to keep your eyes open for alternatives (10" mini bike rims for example) just in case you need an alternative later on ;)

'sid

Smerft85

Reaction score
Well, the closet door is part of the build, I've already considered better front tires, but these were free. Nothing saying I can't post another picture now that the mods have approved my entry right? It said to post your pile and I have done so, however, here is a picture a little more laid out according to the mental blueprint. The louver pattern in the door is what I'll be using, didn't see any "yawns" around anywhere, but I'll keep looking for ya!

20190730_185212.jpg

Smerft85

Reaction score
I wanted to let you guys know there is a high chance those front wheels won't have a chance to be used, I believe I have an entire steering and front axle set with wheels on the way. No bicycle wheels folks! :cheers2: I'm going to probably get the frame figured out and welded tomorrow at some point, and I'll cut the barrow while im at it.ill get some pictures of the progress and new front end tomorrow.

Smerft85

Reaction score
Man I got so busy I couldn't even think about this thing, but I just acquired three old briggs flatheads, two are 5hp, and the third is a 3hp. I think the first one to fire up will be the heart for this build, I did get everything for the frame in the garage near the tools, hopefully tonight I get to actually work on it. I created two other projects by wanting to give my nephew a kart for his birthday, so I'm working on 4 projects in the kart world alone right now. The steel for my live axle should be here Wednesday. I'm slacking and I apologise.

Smerft85

Reaction score
Moving faster than most. And what about 2 briggs....

3 briggs engines! Freebies, and all turn freely. I have the feeling the 3hp will run with fresh gas, the two 5hp need a few parts, but can get almost one complete between the two, if I can make all 3 run I may do two more rat rod karts, one for the wife, and one each for my little girls, now THAT would be cool!

gegcorp2012

Reaction score
@Smerft85 wrote: " if I can make all 3 run I may do two more rat rod karts, one for the wife, and one each for my little girls, now THAT would be cool!"

I really like the rat rod kart style... that is what cought my eye a couple of months ago, and then I found this site when I decided it was time to do something with my pile of parts. I have an heirloom wheelbarrow from the 60's that is beyond petina.... probably more antique and a bit more heavy than a modern scrapyard barrow. One of my neighbors said to save the heirloom wheelbarrow that it was worth $$$. Anyways, good (?) to see your work in progress and the natural plan for multiple builds!

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Smerft85

Reaction score
Well, antiques are strange, to the right buyer, sure it could be worth some decent money, to someone else, they may want it for $20 so they don't feel horrible trashing it. I wish mine was a bigger bucket, but it was free, and made use of the old broken wheelbarrow, no clue how old it is, but I'm sure it's old enough!

Smerft85

Reaction score
Ok guys, finally got a few parts in, and getting ready to finally start welding, also had to rebuild my grinder, it's been my only cutting tool for metal for a very long time, and the bearing finally grenaded inside. I'll post pics of the main frame once it's all welded tonight.

Smerft85

Reaction score
20190808_230821.jpg

20190808_230845.jpg

20190808_230913.jpg

Engine and rear axle are only mocked until I get the sprocket and rebuild the carb, I figure this is pretty close to how it will sit, my daughters have claimed it so it will be a kids cart, governed still, and if I can manage to get the 3hp briggs to accept a clutch I may even tone down to it. Since it is a cart for my daughters, Tori and Teagan, I'm officially naming the project "T 'n T". I know mower parts aren't ideal, but they remain free, and beat the bicycle wheels by a long shot!

P.S. sorry about the crap pictures!

Smerft85

Reaction score
I want to mount the rear axle as far to the rear as possible, I can get it all the way back to the corners of the frame but it would require mounting the sproket on the outside of the frame, would doing so have any real consequence with a live axle? I've always seen the sprocket inside the frame unless it's a dead axle.

Smerft85

Reaction score
20190809_115828.jpg

Everything will be a little snug, I may not be able to drive it, but my wife and kids are probably small enough.
It's going to sit pretty low in the front, but I will have to buy new tires for the front any way, these don't hold air.

gegcorp2012

Reaction score
Nice progress so far. Classic Briggs are cool and there are some motor guys that love the flathead.

I like how you used a flipped front axle to lower it. Cool idea that I have not seen before.

Are you planning to adjust the camber on the front wheels so the tread is flat to the ground ?

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.