2018 - Manco Dingo suspension & a little extra

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeaterofAincrad

2018 Build-Off Contestant
Reaction score
Lol I have my Manufacturing Tech class tomorrow in the morning for like 2 1/2 hrs but my early college classes start on Tuesday. Those are the ones I’m not looking forward to.

I’m stuck between a rock and a hard place, my parents say that in the end it’s my money I’m using to buy the motor but then they say that my father has somebody that MIGHT be able to help and don’t want me to get it until he looks at it, but my father doesn’t have his number, he is however working on the same road he lives on.

If I do buy the engine I’d keep the Tecumseh and fix it later for another build, I wouldn’t be wasting my money and throwing it away just to buy another engine when the time comes. Depending on the predator throttle setup and shaft height I’m going to need a few hours to switch them because I’m working alone, not on a work bench off the ground, and with all manual tools(no impact wrench’s, etc.). I’d really like to have at least two days to ride it. And atm I’m watching my 2yr old brother and my two other brothers.

I managed to cut the head cushion and find the roofing rubber and get a piece cut from that.

BeaterofAincrad

Reaction score
Lol that was just what I needed to hear. I got the seat and cushion finished once my father got home because he had his staple gun with him. For it being my first seat I think it turned out pretty good and once I got the rubber on, it seemed to absorb the weight a little slower because the air had less areas to escape from. I did my best on the corners so they weren’t pointy but the rubber was quite thick and didn’t want to fold too much.

BeaterofAincrad

Reaction score
Yesterday I mounted the seat and used loctite, I forgot to get lock washers so they may come out over time. I also mounted one wheel well(because I need to pick up some washers for the other side) to see the wheel clearance. I’m gonna need to weld a gusset onto the part that I bolted it to at some point because it bends. I also took the engine and CVT off. I used duck tape instead of capping the square tube because it was a semi tedious task and I didn’t have the mindset to work on it at the time. I also tried patching a hole in the front left tire but it didn’t work as well as it did before because it was on the ID near the rim and I put some slime in the right rear tire because it lost some air over a few days.

BeaterofAincrad

Reaction score
Ugh well the guy came over for about a half hour and everything checked out alright but it still wouldn’t even fire. He himself seemed sorta baffled but he said to try a new coil(we were getting good blue spark). I’ve had this happen before on another Tecumseh push mower. So I still haven’t ridden it. I can’t seem to find the right coil and I can’t read the rest of the model # on the engine. I think I found one($30) it’s part# is 37395 but it doesn’t say it’ll fit my engine. I’m not sure if the previous owner bought a new shroud with a different model # on it or what. If anybody can help that’d be great. The distance between bolt holes is 2 7/16” and it looks like this.

I did however retry sealing the front tire. The first time I tried I couldn’t find the right stuff so I tried using a piece of grace ice and water. The second time I found the right stuff, it’s this new stuff they came out with that’s like rubber tape and you put it around window frames to seal them. I’m not sure how it lasts in the long run(on tires) because I had only used it on my brothers bike tire and shortly after it popped in a different place. I’ll have to get the name from my father, he also used it on his rubber boots and it works great.

Oh and I won’t be able to use the new front tires until I get either new rims, tubes, or try sealing the odd shaped valve stem holes.

BeaterofAincrad

Reaction score
Well I was tired of searching and getting no definite evidence that the coil would work so I ordered it and it said it was out for delivery yesterday but I haven’t gotten it. I’m going to try and cut some gussets for the wheel well mounts today in my Manufacturing Tech class.

I haven’t gotten to working on the kart at all because I’ve been doing homework for my college classes. I intend to get out there sometime this week though.

On another note it seems that guy that “helped” me has two Gokarts running(I haven’t seen them) and is selling one(my father saw it and said it looks like an indie car). I also saw a two seater sitting in the bushes that didn’t seem to be being used(I saw it from the front about 150’ away). It was grown in around it, definitely not ridden this summer. Next time I see him I’m gonna ask about it. Maybe buy it for a future build.

I’ve also got some parts in for our raptor 90 & 110cc quad(Wildfire?) so I’m gonna have to install those at some point too.

BeaterofAincrad

Reaction score
Thanks, I hope it works too. I got the gussets cut, nothing fancy. I’m thinking of plasma cutting a bunch(like on RBG or the ones on Gopowersports) for future projects but I need 1/8” sheet metal. When I weld the gussets on I’m also going to attempt to weld the broken mount on the engine shroud so that it doesn’t move when you pull it.

Also I just remembered I have a recoil from a Honda mower that I can try to switch with the current one because the rope doesn’t wind up like it’s supposed to so it hits the recoil shroud.

BeaterofAincrad

Reaction score
The new tires for the front are 15” in diameter but the rims/tubes on the kart have a 90* out of the center and I currently have 13” tubes in the old tires. Could I use the 13” tubes in the 15” tires? Or will it not be good for the tubes?

Tpdingo

Reaction score
Likely not a good idea. I mean this a suspension kart after all. One good hit and the weld you make decides it is not having its day, and pop goes the rim. Tires deflate, destroy the rim. Depending on how it hits, you could get a bent axle or even worse frame damage.

C'mon man, you've come this far.....get this sucker done. You've done a professional job all the way through* so don't start doing some BS with shoddy wheel. Shoddy pressurized vessels are basically bombs in all intents and purposes. Get some real wheels beause I WANT TO SEE THIS KART VROOM VROOM!!! :auto:

* = (ok, I will say some of the welds weren't the prettiest but a grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't :thumbsup:)

BeaterofAincrad

Reaction score
Lol nice quote, I was more thinking of taking a small piece of 1/16” aluminum and sealing it over the hole with some of this stuff that we seal tubes with. The rim I believe is cast aluminum, I could be wrong.

BeaterofAincrad

Reaction score
Well the coil I got in the male wasn’t the same one in the picture advertised so I’m trying to get my money back and in the meantime I remembered I had another Tecumseh push mower with the same issue of not finding the right coil. So I took the coil I made for that and low and behold it needed the same coil. However the Gokart still won’t fire, I took the head off the engine and checked the valves thinking maybe I bent one or something, everything was in order, no scoring on the cylinder walls, a VERY little surface rust on the exhaust valve(cleaned up with the best grit I had at the time, 1500), still not even a fire nor gas on the plug.

So my father finally said that if I think it’s a good decision then I can get my neighbors predator. So around 5:30 today I’m going to go and pick it up and hopefully get the engines switched over and ride it tonight.

On another note my father was apparently backing in his dump trailer and thinks he hit my Gokart. I think he hit the 2x4 that was laying on the tarp and it bent the pedal pretty bad. I got it bent back in class though.

This weekend I was installing new brake disk and pads on our Raptor 90 and a wiring harness and valve stem on the Chinese quad. And also wrenched on the kart a bit, got the gussets welded, the engine shroud fixed and picked up the “new” front tires. I’m pretty sure I’m going to have the turning power I need

BeaterofAincrad

Reaction score
Yeah, I’m hoping I can maybe ride around next door but recently they’ve had some stuff stolen so they lock their gate. Maybe(if I get time to) I can post some old videos I have from over there to give you guys an idea on how much room I had… it was nice, I sorta took it for granted, I miss riding there.

Anyways last night I picked up the motor and it looks almost new, much better shape than the Tecumseh. I only had $40 on me but told him I’d pay the rest when I got some cash and he was very understanding and patient(this was like the third time I said I wanted it).

I got the Tecumseh removed and the predator mounted. I haven’t started it yet but the gas has been turned off since he stopped using it. I intended to ride it last night but I got the TAV installed and the sprockets were awfully close(less than 1/8”) to touching. Also my engine shaft bolt is sorta stripped so I have to get another one.

So next I’m going to remove the TAV and cut the ribs off of the TAV mount plate to allow for it to be mounted and clear the sprockets on the farthest bolt hole to the right. I also have to get(probably scavenge around the shop at the CDC) 2 engine mounting bolts because one is stripped and the others threaded section is too short. I’m also going to take the sprocket off and remove the old mount that I put on for support(it’s aluminum and some of the holes are slightly threaded). Then find some low profile bolts for it so that it doesn’t hit the engine mount, maybe take a 1/16” off some socket head cap screws. Also I have to remove the old throttle cable and put the new one on that he gave me because the old one was one for a motorcycle(the nice thick ones) and I don’t want to chop it up.

Also the front left tire that was flat that I patched is still fully inflated. The right rear tire that I put some slime in didn’t hold air. I didn’t put but maybe 1/2-1 cup in, the rim is also bent so that might be the culprit. I’m going to see if the automotive class at the CDC could remove the tire, straighten out the rim, and put the tire back on because the tire isn’t meant for the rim width, someone widened them. I’m sorta looking for 15x5-6 tubes but I don’t seem to have good service when I look.

I’d really like to work on it this week but it probably won’t happen, maybe this weekend.

I almost forgot, I’m gonna have to make another straight pipe for this to. Out of curiosity how long should it be(to avoid bent valves)? Is the length I had before alright, it was probably ~18” in the shape of a “J”?

Status
Not open for further replies.